Author Topic: Question about increasing 3.5 month olds daily ounces  (Read 1399 times)

Offline GithensA13

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Question about increasing 3.5 month olds daily ounces
« on: May 13, 2013, 15:06:44 pm »
First time mom and Forum user.  My LO has been on the E.A.S.Y routine since birth and we have recently moved her to the 4-hour EASY routine, 7,11,3,7 plus DF.  BUT she is still waking at 3 a.m. for a 4 to 4.5 ounce bottle.  I started reducing the 3 a.m. bottle two nights ago to 3 ounces and a pacifier but she now wakes every 30 minutes until 7a.m.   Then she doesn't eat much at the 7 a.m. feeding but slowly increases her feeding during the day but no more than 4.5 ounces at each feeding.  Currently she is using the Avent #2 nipple.  I have tried the #3 but she chokes and gags.  I feed her in her room with little to no distractions other than her hands.  She grabs at the bottle and pushes it away.  How do I help her increase her day time ounces and reduce the need for the 3 a.m. feed?   

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Question about increasing 3.5 month olds daily ounces
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 15:17:48 pm »
At 3.5 months you may need to increase the time between bottles to 3.5 hours, that should encourage her to drink a bit more. How much are you offering in bottles at the moment?

She is a bit young to be decreasing her night feeds yet, the waking every 30 mins after a small bottle suggests she was still hungry. I would just offer her a full bottle and get you both back to sleep ASAP. Some babies drop nightfeeds of their own accord, but most still need that feed until they are on solids around 6 months.

HTH!

Laura

Offline GithensA13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 15:27:34 pm »
She is currently eating every four hours.  7 a.m. 3.5 ounces, 11 a.m. 4 ounces, 3 p.m. 4.25 ounces, 7 p.m. 4 ounces, DF 4.5 ounces to 5.5 ounces.  She is offered 4.5 ounces at every feed.  Plus the 3 a.m. feeding at 4.5 ounces. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 15:36:16 pm by GithensA13 »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 17:32:55 pm »
Sorry! Missed the 4 hour bit!

What's her behaviour like when she feeds - does she feed calmly or does she fight the bottle? How long ago did you try the no 3 teat and for how many feeds? It could be that she needs that teat now but it can take a few feeds to adjust to a new flow.

Does she suffer with any digestive discomfort like wind or reflux?

What type of formula are you using - is it a ready mixed one? I am amazed you can be so accurate with the 0.5oz measurements! There are some feeds that she is draining her bottles for, you really need to increase the bottles so that doesn't happen.

Laura

Offline GithensA13

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 19:00:47 pm »
She grabs at the bottle and pushes it out of her mouth.  When she decides she is done she purses her lips or pushes out the nipple with her tongue.  Tried the #3 teat last week but for only one feed.  She has gas all the time but doesn't seem to have any discomfort with it.  Don't think she is having any reflux.  She doesn't really spit up often.  She has found her hands and is constantly eating her fingers.

Yes, powder Similac Advance.  She only drains the DF bottle but none during the day or if she is awake. 

Thanks,
Angela
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 19:06:15 pm by GithensA13 »

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 23:40:19 pm »
I used Avent as well... I would move to the level 3 nipples.  I found that DD would take a good day (or two) to learn to use the faster nipple speed without choking...  It helped if I sat her a little more upright so that she could control it a bit better for the first few feeds...

Offline GithensA13

• Showing Appreciation 0
Concerned, moved to 4 hour EASY and eating less
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 23:36:55 pm »
We moved her to the 4 hour EASY in hopes she would eat more during the day.  I have moved to the level 3 Avent nipples but she is only taking right at 24 ounces a day.  Today was 3:20 a.m. 4.0 ounces, 7:20 a.m. 3.5 ounces, 10:50 a.m. 3.5 ounces, 2:50 p.m. 4 ounces, 6:45 p.m. 4.5 ounces,  will DF at 10:45 and she has been taking 4 ounces at that feeding.  She is offered 4.5 ounces at each feeding.

She is napping for 1.5 to two hours on the 4 hour easy and not showing hunger signs between the feedings. 

Her Typical 3 hour EASY was 3:00ish a.m. 4 ounces, 7:00 a.m. 3 to 3.5 ounces, 10:00 a.m. 3.5 ounces, 1 p.m. 4.5 ounces, 6:45 p.m. 4.5 ounces and DF at 10:45 3.5 ounces.

Any suggestions to help her eat more?  Should I go back to the 3 hour EASY?  She was eating 27 ounces a day.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 23:46:26 pm by GithensA13 »

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:00 am »
If she isn't waking to take more during the night, I wouldn't worry about the decrease in ounces at all.  Could be that the 27 ozs was actually a growth spurt that has now ended - there is another one around 4 months as well.

I would offer more than you are (offer 5 ozs) and try feeding her in a dimly lit room as often as you can - she is at the age where distraction becomes an issue for many...

Did you see this in the FAQ section?  I'm going insane with 3.5-mo hardly eating, HELP!