Author Topic: Will this get easier?  (Read 6389 times)

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
« on: May 14, 2013, 15:10:53 pm »
Or do I need to change something?

DD2 seems to have sooooo many burps.  And I'm not sure what the issue is...she needs to get between 7-9oz to get a good nap in, but because she has so many burps it either
A.  Takes forever to feed her.
B.  I have to let her quit eating after 4 or 5oz spend her A time trying to get burps out, then give her another feed before she goes down for a nap.

So here's the possibilities, hopefully someone can help me figure this out...if it can even be figured out, or if it's normal and I just have to wait until she gets older.
1.  She's lactose intolerant, she's on Similar sensitive, but I'm not sure if that formula is completely lactose free or just low lactose...going to the ped today so hopefully he knows.  Even if the formula she's on is lactose free could it still be causing gas and she just needs to switch to a different lactose free formula?
2.  Maybe a bottle issue?  She's done best with Tommee Tippee, but maybe I need to try something else?
3.  If it's normal for this age maybe I just need to start giving her gas drops?

I'm stumped with this kid!  Any ideas?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Will this get easier?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:17 am »
Any formula can cause gas for any baby... it's all trial and error unfortunately.

I did some serious Googling and couldn't find an answer as to whether Sim. Sensitive is 100% lactose free or just greatly reduced.. did the paed know?

Enfamil does make a Lactose Free formula (labelled as lactose free) in Canada but not the USA... where are you (I can't remember!)?

Regardless of the actual formula - powdered will always cause more gas as it creates bubbles that baby ingests... ready to feed or concentrate are far superior in that aspect.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:52 am »
Do you think your LO may also be MSPI? :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline TB9

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 17:10:07 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts ladies :)

Ped says he thinks similar sensitive is lactose free, so basically we can't do any better than that, lol.  She gained 3lbs in a month, and she hasn't had any blood in her poops or any sort of intestinal distress other than when we tried the powdered formula so I really don't think she's mspi...

Ped says burps will get better as she gets older, so I'm not sure if switching bottles is worth the hassle...

This morning I let her eat what she wanted, got some burps out then let her have her A time and just kept her sitting up mostly so the burps got out on their own, then gave her another bottle before nap.  She got over 7oz in total, and had an awesome nap, so maybe I just need to chill out a bit since I don't really know what else I can do and don't want to start obsessing :)  I'm really hoping she starts getting less burps, DD1 was still breastfed at this age so I really have no comparison...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 19:48:43 pm »
Fingers crossed hun... let us know if it's not improving over the next couple of weeks.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 20:25:07 pm »
dd2 is on similac sensitive and I use gas drops in every bottle so even if I don't get a burp the farts that come out aren't as pain to relieve.  She eats 5 ounces every 3 hours and it does take her about 30 minutes on average.  We are not lactose intolerant so I don't know if its lactose free but I can read the ingredients if you want.

Offline TB9

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:13 am »
I couldn't find anything online or on the box...I'm going to call Similac to find out!  DD2 is out of sorts because of her 2 month shots, not eating much, having loose poops, etc.  So I'm going to have to wait anyway to switch formula if Similar sensitive isn't lactose free.

Bm - 30 min for a feed!  DD chugs it down within 10min...maybe that's part of the problem, lol.  But she gets really really angry with the slower nipple because it takes too long.  DD1 was the same way so I'm guessing it's a spirited thing.  I'm going to try the gas drops for sure.  When do you put them in the bottle?  Before or after you warm it up?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:56:38 am »
I often gave the drops (we used simethicone) directly into Ts mouth before a feed but otherwise popped it in the bottle just before feeding. - given T sometimes doesn't drink the whole bottle it was the best way for me to know he got the drops ;)

Have you tried a var flow teat?
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:50 am »
TB - mine only ever took 10 mins to eat too ;)  Porker!

Offline TB9

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »
I could try the var flow, I tried it when we first switched to bottles and she just couldn't handle it but she may prefer it now.  I will try the drops and see if they help.  She actually hasn't been too bad the last few days, but she also hasn't been eating much because of the shots, but she's got loose poops and some intestinal troubles from them too so I think she's really uncomfortable with any gas that gets down there :(

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »
I put them in the bottle before I warm it. If its needed and its not a feeding time we do put some directly into her mouth like Sara does.  She's very slow, she leaks and she needs to be burped like 3 time during those 5 ounces.  I'm pretty use to it dd1 wasn't fast either as a matter of fact to this day it still takes dd1 sometimes up to an hour to eat lol.  :)

I'm sorry the shots have upset her so much.  Do you know which ones she got?  My ped always asks us to call him if they have a reaction to a shot.  This time dd got more shots then usual b/c we delayed the ones she was supposed to get in hospital and for the first month so she got 2 shots (1 in each leg poor baby) and some sort of oral one.

Offline TB9

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »
Yeah, she got the rotavirus oral vaccine, then pneumonia in one leg and diphtheria/polio/tetanus (I think) in the other leg.  I think her reaction is probably within the realm of normal, and she's getting enough pees and poops...I will call the doc if it gets worse.  She already ate more yesterday than the day before so the eating is getting better at least, hopefully the sleeping gets better now too!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 20:04:16 pm »
Hun I know you said the colic calm would be no good because of peppermint but you could try tummy calm. We use it as well, it's really good for gas (well it did help T) there is no peppermint. It is pricy but if it works it's worth it ;) http://tummycalm.com/:-*
***Sara***

Offline TB9

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 14:45:15 pm »
The  variable flow nipples are working really well :)  She's still got gas between  feeds so I'm going to call similac this week about the formula.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 17:37:23 pm »
:)
***Sara***