Author Topic: Will this get easier?  (Read 6390 times)

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
« on: May 14, 2013, 15:10:53 pm »
Or do I need to change something?

DD2 seems to have sooooo many burps.  And I'm not sure what the issue is...she needs to get between 7-9oz to get a good nap in, but because she has so many burps it either
A.  Takes forever to feed her.
B.  I have to let her quit eating after 4 or 5oz spend her A time trying to get burps out, then give her another feed before she goes down for a nap.

So here's the possibilities, hopefully someone can help me figure this out...if it can even be figured out, or if it's normal and I just have to wait until she gets older.
1.  She's lactose intolerant, she's on Similar sensitive, but I'm not sure if that formula is completely lactose free or just low lactose...going to the ped today so hopefully he knows.  Even if the formula she's on is lactose free could it still be causing gas and she just needs to switch to a different lactose free formula?
2.  Maybe a bottle issue?  She's done best with Tommee Tippee, but maybe I need to try something else?
3.  If it's normal for this age maybe I just need to start giving her gas drops?

I'm stumped with this kid!  Any ideas?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Will this get easier?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:17 am »
Any formula can cause gas for any baby... it's all trial and error unfortunately.

I did some serious Googling and couldn't find an answer as to whether Sim. Sensitive is 100% lactose free or just greatly reduced.. did the paed know?

Enfamil does make a Lactose Free formula (labelled as lactose free) in Canada but not the USA... where are you (I can't remember!)?

Regardless of the actual formula - powdered will always cause more gas as it creates bubbles that baby ingests... ready to feed or concentrate are far superior in that aspect.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:52 am »
Do you think your LO may also be MSPI? :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline TB9

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 17:10:07 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts ladies :)

Ped says he thinks similar sensitive is lactose free, so basically we can't do any better than that, lol.  She gained 3lbs in a month, and she hasn't had any blood in her poops or any sort of intestinal distress other than when we tried the powdered formula so I really don't think she's mspi...

Ped says burps will get better as she gets older, so I'm not sure if switching bottles is worth the hassle...

This morning I let her eat what she wanted, got some burps out then let her have her A time and just kept her sitting up mostly so the burps got out on their own, then gave her another bottle before nap.  She got over 7oz in total, and had an awesome nap, so maybe I just need to chill out a bit since I don't really know what else I can do and don't want to start obsessing :)  I'm really hoping she starts getting less burps, DD1 was still breastfed at this age so I really have no comparison...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 19:48:43 pm »
Fingers crossed hun... let us know if it's not improving over the next couple of weeks.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 20:25:07 pm »
dd2 is on similac sensitive and I use gas drops in every bottle so even if I don't get a burp the farts that come out aren't as pain to relieve.  She eats 5 ounces every 3 hours and it does take her about 30 minutes on average.  We are not lactose intolerant so I don't know if its lactose free but I can read the ingredients if you want.

Offline TB9

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:13 am »
I couldn't find anything online or on the box...I'm going to call Similac to find out!  DD2 is out of sorts because of her 2 month shots, not eating much, having loose poops, etc.  So I'm going to have to wait anyway to switch formula if Similar sensitive isn't lactose free.

Bm - 30 min for a feed!  DD chugs it down within 10min...maybe that's part of the problem, lol.  But she gets really really angry with the slower nipple because it takes too long.  DD1 was the same way so I'm guessing it's a spirited thing.  I'm going to try the gas drops for sure.  When do you put them in the bottle?  Before or after you warm it up?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:56:38 am »
I often gave the drops (we used simethicone) directly into Ts mouth before a feed but otherwise popped it in the bottle just before feeding. - given T sometimes doesn't drink the whole bottle it was the best way for me to know he got the drops ;)

Have you tried a var flow teat?
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:50 am »
TB - mine only ever took 10 mins to eat too ;)  Porker!

Offline TB9

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »
I could try the var flow, I tried it when we first switched to bottles and she just couldn't handle it but she may prefer it now.  I will try the drops and see if they help.  She actually hasn't been too bad the last few days, but she also hasn't been eating much because of the shots, but she's got loose poops and some intestinal troubles from them too so I think she's really uncomfortable with any gas that gets down there :(

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »
I put them in the bottle before I warm it. If its needed and its not a feeding time we do put some directly into her mouth like Sara does.  She's very slow, she leaks and she needs to be burped like 3 time during those 5 ounces.  I'm pretty use to it dd1 wasn't fast either as a matter of fact to this day it still takes dd1 sometimes up to an hour to eat lol.  :)

I'm sorry the shots have upset her so much.  Do you know which ones she got?  My ped always asks us to call him if they have a reaction to a shot.  This time dd got more shots then usual b/c we delayed the ones she was supposed to get in hospital and for the first month so she got 2 shots (1 in each leg poor baby) and some sort of oral one.

Offline TB9

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »
Yeah, she got the rotavirus oral vaccine, then pneumonia in one leg and diphtheria/polio/tetanus (I think) in the other leg.  I think her reaction is probably within the realm of normal, and she's getting enough pees and poops...I will call the doc if it gets worse.  She already ate more yesterday than the day before so the eating is getting better at least, hopefully the sleeping gets better now too!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 20:04:16 pm »
Hun I know you said the colic calm would be no good because of peppermint but you could try tummy calm. We use it as well, it's really good for gas (well it did help T) there is no peppermint. It is pricy but if it works it's worth it ;) http://tummycalm.com/:-*
***Sara***

Offline TB9

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 14:45:15 pm »
The  variable flow nipples are working really well :)  She's still got gas between  feeds so I'm going to call similac this week about the formula.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 17:37:23 pm »
:)
***Sara***

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 19:26:33 pm »
I think I read somewhere, I think on the can that similac sensitive is milk based, so wouldn't that mean it is not 100% lactose free?  I even think I saw it said something like 75% lactose, not sure free or 75% lactose.  I've been looking at changing my lo formula but want a milk based.
Tina

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 19:52:03 pm »
Well I guess I've looked at too many today :). I've saw on some boards that similac is lactose free.  What is the difference between milk based lactose free and soy?  I'm trying to find a new one for my lo because she is very gassy it didn't seem to bother her but now she squirming during eating and want to try a gas formula type.  I really want to try and stay as close to the normal formula but its so confusing to read about them.  Sorry I was no help in other post  ???
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 23:12:25 pm »
Hi tfuentes - if your wanting info on which milk could be the most suitable for your LO and you don't want to use or can't use normal formula feel free to post a new thread about it. Maybe in food allergies :-\ :-*
***Sara***

Offline TB9

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 00:52:46 am »
I spoke too soon!  DD refused to eat after 5pm...then I switched the nipple back and she magically ate  :P

So the variable flow nipples are a bust.  Gosh, this babe is so particular!

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:18 am »
Thanks Sara I did a little bit ago today.  :)

Good luck hopefully it will soon pass.  It's so hard but rewarding being a mommy
 ;)
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:35:52 am »
tfuentes - It so confusing with all the formula options out there!  From what I understand there's low lactose, like enfamil gentle-ease, then lactose free (for babies that have trouble with lactose which is the sugar in milk), and there's also formulas that aren't milk based (for babies that have trouble with the protein in milk)

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:47 am »
Just seen this post, my LO had really big issues with gas when a little bubba and the one thing that helped us was really simple so you're probably all over it already but anyways.....we were recommended to make any bottles up at least a half hour in advance even though that's not what the tin recommends.  It gave all the bubbles time to settle.  This worked a treat for us.
Hope you get some answers!  Good luck :-)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:11 am »
^^  I never did that far in advance but I did find that the gas bubbles would dissipate a fair bit just by swirling the bottle for a few mins too :)

I do think that there is always going to be some degree of gas issues with a FF baby, especially in the first couple of months while their tummies are maturing so rapidly.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:31 am »
Rach what formula did you do this on? Was your LO on neocate at all? - asking because its a pita to make up as you supposedly can not reheat
***Sara***

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 05:57:58 am »
Mine was just on standard formula but was really gassy.  Think we ended on Karicare but have heard heaps of good thoughts about S26.  Reheating is a big no no but we got recommended formula from the lactation consultants after a long struggle breast feeding and were in NICU for a while where they use formula....long story short, I ended up taking the advice of these ladies and making bottles with cooled boiled water, then heating slowly in a jug of boiling water when needed.  To be honest, I was pretty relaxed about things like this so I may not be the best advice giver but if we were going out I would make the formula with really really hot water and by the time it was needed the temperature would be perfect. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:40 am »
Yeah S26 gold was the only one Z would take (he was mostly bf though)
I thought you could reheat normal formula? :-\
***Sara***

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:39 am »
Not supposed to.  Something to do with not killing bacteria properly?  So many rules!

Offline TB9

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 18:10:16 pm »
Talked to someone are similac today and they said similac sensitive is low lactose, so I will be running out today to get lactose free enfamil.

Gas drops do not help :(

Thanks for the idea about premixing, we are using concentrate not powder so I don't know how much premixing will help...we use cooled water and then heat the whole bottle when she is hungry, so I could premix the concentrate and see if it makes a difference :)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 18:47:13 pm »
I finally found what I was talking about earlier and it says its 95% lactose free I tried replying earloer but it would never go through.  I also use the Dr brown mixing pitcher to help with those bubbles from mixing I mix it at the beginning of the day and use it throughout the day.  Not sure if you'll be able to get liquid or not but I really like the mixing pitcher.
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 17:46:29 pm »
Ok ladies, we've started switching her formula and we are also investigating some other bottle options...but I'm having a tough time figuring out her schedule so off to the easy board I go, lol

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 21:29:35 pm »
Good luck, hope this gets sorted for you!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:08 am »
You can reheat standard formula so long as you make it and cool it rapidly for storing in the fridge.. then reheat and feed.  You cannot reheat after baby has been drinking it (ie baby doesn't finish bottle so you save it and rewarm an hour later).

I used concentrate as well and always had it premixed in a juice jug in my fridge (one specifically for formula - I had a Starfrit as the silicone seal ensure nothing would make it taste off from being in the fridge).  I only made enough for a day at a time when she was little and once she was over a year, I was comfortable with it being prepped and in the fridge up to 48 hrs - personal choice though.  My DD never had any health concerns such as being a preemie etc...

Offline TB9

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:47 am »
Good news!  He formula switch is going well so far, I'm doing it gradually because I don't want to shock her little digestive system.  So far she's got less burps and less spitups and seems happier.  Problem is I think she's feeling so much better that she's eating a ton...but she's also almost 12 weeks old so it maybe her 3 month growth spurt ???  I'm clueless, but it figures, just when I think I've got her easy almost figured out she hits a gs :)

I do have a question though, not sure if it's normal at this age as DD1 just started on bottles at this age and took really well to them...DD2 has trouble latching on to the bottle a lot, some bottles are better than others, she's using Tommie Tippee but I had to switch out to Born Free for one of her feedings today because she just could not get latched on to the  TT bottle.  Then I discovered at one of her other feeds that she can latch a LOT easier if I can get her to suck on her paci first...which can't always be done. So, normal or not?  I have a couple other bottles that I can try, but so far the TT are the best for her except for the latching issue...along with the gas (which may be solved with the formula change) the latching is the other big issue for us, most times if she doesn't start sucking on her paci first we have to walk or bounce to get her to latch...I wish I could find a bottle that she just took, latched onto and ate.

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 02:52:19 am »
Have you tried the Dr Brown's?  Theyre really good for gas, I have found.
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 12:30:27 pm »
Yes, we tried Dr browns, but not the ones with the wider nipple...may try those, not sure if we will ever find a bottle that  everyone is happy with...

Offline TB9

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 16:57:06 pm »
Just wanted to update you ladies.  DD is doing amazing on her new formula and we have switched her bottles to the playtex nursers, she's doing really well so far with them and feedings are so peaceful now!  Thanks for all your advice and support  ;D  I hope this is the end of our bottle troubles!

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 17:43:20 pm »
Great good news.  What milk are you using now?
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 19:09:48 pm »
Enfamil lactose free.  Its not as sweet as similac sensitive so it took a bit for her to adjust, but I'm glad I switched her.  Poops are much more normal and less gas and spitups :)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 20:26:30 pm »
Great news
Tina

Offline *Kara*

• So little!