Author Topic: Will this get easier?  (Read 6386 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Will this get easier?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 19:26:33 pm »
I think I read somewhere, I think on the can that similac sensitive is milk based, so wouldn't that mean it is not 100% lactose free?  I even think I saw it said something like 75% lactose, not sure free or 75% lactose.  I've been looking at changing my lo formula but want a milk based.
Tina

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 19:52:03 pm »
Well I guess I've looked at too many today :). I've saw on some boards that similac is lactose free.  What is the difference between milk based lactose free and soy?  I'm trying to find a new one for my lo because she is very gassy it didn't seem to bother her but now she squirming during eating and want to try a gas formula type.  I really want to try and stay as close to the normal formula but its so confusing to read about them.  Sorry I was no help in other post  ???
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 23:12:25 pm »
Hi tfuentes - if your wanting info on which milk could be the most suitable for your LO and you don't want to use or can't use normal formula feel free to post a new thread about it. Maybe in food allergies :-\ :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 00:52:46 am »
I spoke too soon!  DD refused to eat after 5pm...then I switched the nipple back and she magically ate  :P

So the variable flow nipples are a bust.  Gosh, this babe is so particular!

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:18 am »
Thanks Sara I did a little bit ago today.  :)

Good luck hopefully it will soon pass.  It's so hard but rewarding being a mommy
 ;)
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:35:52 am »
tfuentes - It so confusing with all the formula options out there!  From what I understand there's low lactose, like enfamil gentle-ease, then lactose free (for babies that have trouble with lactose which is the sugar in milk), and there's also formulas that aren't milk based (for babies that have trouble with the protein in milk)

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:47 am »
Just seen this post, my LO had really big issues with gas when a little bubba and the one thing that helped us was really simple so you're probably all over it already but anyways.....we were recommended to make any bottles up at least a half hour in advance even though that's not what the tin recommends.  It gave all the bubbles time to settle.  This worked a treat for us.
Hope you get some answers!  Good luck :-)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:11 am »
^^  I never did that far in advance but I did find that the gas bubbles would dissipate a fair bit just by swirling the bottle for a few mins too :)

I do think that there is always going to be some degree of gas issues with a FF baby, especially in the first couple of months while their tummies are maturing so rapidly.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:31 am »
Rach what formula did you do this on? Was your LO on neocate at all? - asking because its a pita to make up as you supposedly can not reheat
***Sara***

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 05:57:58 am »
Mine was just on standard formula but was really gassy.  Think we ended on Karicare but have heard heaps of good thoughts about S26.  Reheating is a big no no but we got recommended formula from the lactation consultants after a long struggle breast feeding and were in NICU for a while where they use formula....long story short, I ended up taking the advice of these ladies and making bottles with cooled boiled water, then heating slowly in a jug of boiling water when needed.  To be honest, I was pretty relaxed about things like this so I may not be the best advice giver but if we were going out I would make the formula with really really hot water and by the time it was needed the temperature would be perfect. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00:40 am »
Yeah S26 gold was the only one Z would take (he was mostly bf though)
I thought you could reheat normal formula? :-\
***Sara***

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:39 am »
Not supposed to.  Something to do with not killing bacteria properly?  So many rules!

Offline TB9

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 18:10:16 pm »
Talked to someone are similac today and they said similac sensitive is low lactose, so I will be running out today to get lactose free enfamil.

Gas drops do not help :(

Thanks for the idea about premixing, we are using concentrate not powder so I don't know how much premixing will help...we use cooled water and then heat the whole bottle when she is hungry, so I could premix the concentrate and see if it makes a difference :)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 18:47:13 pm »
I finally found what I was talking about earlier and it says its 95% lactose free I tried replying earloer but it would never go through.  I also use the Dr brown mixing pitcher to help with those bubbles from mixing I mix it at the beginning of the day and use it throughout the day.  Not sure if you'll be able to get liquid or not but I really like the mixing pitcher.
Tina

Offline TB9

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 17:46:29 pm »
Ok ladies, we've started switching her formula and we are also investigating some other bottle options...but I'm having a tough time figuring out her schedule so off to the easy board I go, lol