Author Topic: WDYD for calcium/milk after one year with your MSPI kid?  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
WDYD for calcium/milk after one year with your MSPI kid?
« on: May 14, 2013, 21:34:03 pm »
Wondering what people actually did/do with their MSPI/Milk allergy kids once they were one year+.  I know all the alternatives out there for milk, but wondering what people actually are doing with their kids? Did you go with Neocate junior? Coconut milk? Rice milk? Almond milk? Combinations? Did you do one thing and then as your LO grew older did you do something different?
-Nadia

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: WDYD for calcium/milk after one year with your MSPI kid?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 22:04:01 pm »
Well Olly was EBF so we didn't have any formulas to move onto. We were already using oat milk so stuck with that and he still has it now at 3 years old. Coconut milk not available here at the time, wasn't going to risk using a nut mik and we still had a query over the soy at that time.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:51:12 am »
My day was on neocate advance (which I think is the same as neocate junior) until he was around 6 years old. This was due to him having multiple food allergies and a feeding aversion though.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:34 am »
I was just recently advised by my dr to keep T off all milk and soy proteins till at least 2-3 :o I'm assuming this is standard advice now for MSPI LOs.
Did your dr/pead have any advice?

Hugs
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:42 am »
We use and still use coconut milk.

Offline Canadian_Mom

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:31 am »
Thanks so much everyone!!  It is interesting to see all the different things that people have chosen, which I am kinda glad to see so that I am not missing the obvious choice!
My ped said that none of the milk alternatives out there will give enough fats that he will need so he HAS TO continue with the Neocate :P  I don't always full on go with what he says though, as I went against his suggestions and trialled Neocate when DS2 was 8.5 months old as I didn't think that this was as good as it got, and low and behold I now have had a "brand new" happy LO for almost 1.5 months!  So far DS2 doesn't really seem to be too picky of an eater, and eats a wide variety of veggies, fruits, grains, meats, meat alternatives, and seems quite willing to try new things, so I am having a little internal dilemma about really needing to feed him formula (ok, expensive formula!) for the years to come...thinking I will keep with Neocate in the bottles, but he drinks quite well out of a cup so as the transition from bottles to cup comes along might go more with an alternative milk rather than have to mix up formula to keep in the fridge...and then die a little inside when he doesn't drink it all and I have to waste some of it...sigh...I think I am making this more of a hard decision than it really is!!!
-Nadia

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:06 am »
Nadia...I could be mad but what about 1/2 1/2 of neocate and another milk ie coconut or oat?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Canadian_Mom

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 13:13:29 pm »
Lol. You aren't mad, as I probably will do something like that ;) I guess I was just a little frustrated with the ped comment that there was absolutely no other way to get those good fats into him, as I knew better than to believe that (through nutrition research I had done as well as my training as a nurse).  It is just the easier way to get the fats and calcium...who knows, maybe he will love the taste of the flavoured Neocate and we will never waste a drop :)
-Nadia

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 16:21:47 pm »
After giving up BF at 1 year (the dairy/soy free diet was killing me by then  :P) we were advised to give a calcium supplement which we did until she started to be able to eat yoghurt and cheese  :)
Katt

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:03:52 am »
I have only recently stopped feeding my mpi lo for that reason, and I have wondered a bit about how to get calcium into him. He drinks coconut milk, which is fortified but not enough, and has soy yoghurts. I also give him goats cheese and spinach scones, which I think gives him a bit more. If your lo can tolerate goats cheese or sheeps cheese then that can be a way to make up for it. 

Katt - where did you get calcium supplements for a one yo? I have tried to find them, and none of the supplements with calcium in them are okay for under 6's.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:15 am »
We stuck with formula (Pepti 2) until after 2yo. He gradually got less milk as he ate more solids, so it all balanced out nutritionally  :)

At 2y2mo A2 milk became available in the shops and as MPI DH didn't react to it, I tried DS on it, and he's been having it ever since  :D He also gets a daily vitamin supplement which contains calcium.

He can tolerate a small amount of goat's yoghurt (he likes the honey variety) but can't tolerate sheep's or goat's cheese at all yet (I tried him again 2 weeks ago and he got an eczema flare and rancid nappies  :()

We also give him oat milk or coconut milk occasionally with no issues  :)

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 19:01:47 pm »
Katt - where did you get calcium supplements for a one yo? I have tried to find them, and none of the supplements with calcium in them are okay for under 6's

We had them prescribed, the box said they were only for children over 2 or 3 (sorry can't remember  :P) but I think that is so people don't give them without having a doctor say if it's necessary. The first were dissolvable tablets which made a fizzy drink  ::) We told them that wouldn't work and then got some chalky medicine but that went down ok in a cup of oat or rice milk.
Katt

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 19:37:10 pm »
We ended up sticking with formula due to a restricted diet, but she still cant handle dairy so we started a calcium supplement. Masyn takes one too as she isnt a big fan of dairy. 
Heidi

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 01:53:50 am »
Our whole family is dairy free, and I give my DS bone broth for calcium. Basically you just cook up soup bones for 24-48 hours with a bit of vinegar, and the acid leaches the calcium and minerals out into the broth (if you ever did the science experiment where you soak chicken bones in vinegar and they become bendy - that's the idea!). I then reduce it (it makes amazing jus/gravy!), freeze in ice cube containers and cook all his meat and veges with a couple of cubes. It has all sorts of good things in it and the calcium is easily digestible.
We do some rice milk, but only to get liquid in him, not because of nutrition, and also some coconut milk or cream.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:44 am »
we are same as romiata. My son is 3 now.  we are just about to get his 6 blood test results for everything including calcium and Vit D  (as we keep an eye on things). So the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow I hope!

He drank little bits of rice milk for something "wet"after the age of 13 months... but it has little nutrition. Bone broth is high in  magnesium and phosphorus too all in the right ratio for optimal calcium absorption, unlike cows milk where phosphorus content is too high in relation to calcium.  We were lucky that we got him onto ghee at 15 months, and this provided most of his essential fatty acids in his diet along with oily fish.

He was intolerant to coconut milk and almond milk at the time so these were not options for us. If we were able to do any of those I would perhaps give half rice half coconut milk if he required anything to drink with occasional almond milk. Nut milks are hard to digest though unles the nuts were soaked overnight before making into milk  (due to phytic acids and enzyme inhibitors) and high in copper, which is a no no usually for food intolerant kiddies as it depletes zinc. zinc is an essential mineral.