Author Topic: Switching to almond milk  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Charjanemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: May 17, 2013, 14:12:09 pm »
Hi there

My 13.5 month old has has an on and off cough for over 2 months. More at nights and naps. Been to the doc several times and they just keep saying its a bug etc. The first initial cough was def a bug. She had plugged nose and ear infection. Went away with antibiotics. Right around this time we started the move to whe milk. When I was bf I had cut dairy out or she had major poo issues. So now I'm wondering if the milk it causing issue. I started moving to a fortified almond milk. Is this ok? She is 98 percentile for height and weight and a good eater. I just realize that the calories are a lot less. She has 2 bottles of 6-8 oz a day plus straw cup of almond milk at lunch and dinner if wanted.

Thabks

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Switching to almond milk
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 18:07:59 pm »
I have my carton of almond milk here and it says 'can be introduced as part of a healthy balanced diet from 1 year of age. Not suitable as a main milk drink for children under 3'
Got to be the nut issue I guess?

Have you tried her on goats milk first to see if that helps?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Charjanemom

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 15:44:12 pm »
Ok thanks. My carton just says not to use as formula.  We are getting ew which happens regularly with her but she seems starving so we are getting goat milk today. Almond doesn't have the fat or calories that cow or goat have.

How long should I wait to see results. I am guessing this could also be seasonal as she is sneezing too although we have some eczema which would make the milk likely the culprit I assume ?!?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 17:08:12 pm »
Im guessing they say not to use as a main milk drink because of the fat content. If you can get healthy fats in the diet in other ways i would not be too worried although our health nurse recommended using formula until age 2 with DD2 who couldnt have dairy. I did keep her on formula until almost 4, but that was due to the fact that she had a very self limiting diet and i wanted her to get nutrients from something!!
Heidi

Offline Charjanemom

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 13:21:49 pm »
We tried 2 days of goat milk and instantly her cough worsened after seeing improvement on the almond milk. I'm going to see our doctor again this week. She had a bad patch of eczema on her arm which we used our prescription cream on. A milder patch was on her leg which I didn't use cream for. After a few days of ditching the cows milk they are both gone! Obviously the arm one could be due to the cream but the leg one makes me think the cows milk gone helped.

We don't really do dessert so I thought almond milk yogurt after dinner would add some calories and she likes avocado again so I'm giving that for added fat. What other things would help to add fat?

She is having 6oz bottle in the morning then a 6oz straw cup when she wakes from nap then 6-8oz at bed. Is this ok? I was hoping to soon drop the am bottle. Do ppl then just offer milk with meals?

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 13:58:24 pm »
My LO is MPI, although growing out of it, and eczema is one of the symptoms for her. She drinks either oat or rice milk, both of which are very low in fat, so I add in quite a lot of coconut milk to her diet as well - either actually mixed with her milk (mmm, yummy!) or in smoothies and baking. It's hot here and she likes ice in her drinks so I had the idea recently of freezing coconut milk in ice trays and adding a cube to her cup of oat milk. I also drizzle olive oil on her bread and sometimes on meals, and she has nut butters. She also love hummus, which is homemade with plenty of olive oil in it.
*Nuala*