Author Topic: Sleep sack addiction?  (Read 949 times)

Offline Cloudmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:14:47 am »
My LO has slept in a sleep sack for all her naps and at night since she moved into her cot at around 3 months. She's 1 year old now and I decided that now is the bet time to transition her to a duvet. It's summer so she won't get too cold if the duvet comes off her. What I didn't expect is that she was addicted to the sleep sack! She can't seem to settle herself to sleep so I've had 2 days of battles getting her to go down and also night waking around 1.30, with much crying and standing again.

Has anybody else been through this and did it get better?

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Sleep sack addiction?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:56:24 am »
I took DS out at about 18 mths and he wasn't bothered, but has woken himself up cold every night since then..... He is 4.5 now.... And just the wiggliest sleeper ever.

DD LOVED her sleep sack, so I left her in one until over 2.5.

Your LO probably has a comfort attachment to it, and I would therefore leave them in it until she is bigger. There is just no point taking it away really  :-\. My DD has a rabbit that is her lovey, but she is also very attached to having a fleece blanket in as well. I started using it when it was cold and she had just stopped using the sleep sack (actually she got a bit too big for it and started to wake getting stuck and tangled up in it, so then she transitioned out very easily), but now she is attached to that as well.

LOs need there comfort items for good sleep, and sometimes that ends up being the whole bed and bedding etc. I think that is what your LO has done  :).

Kids are so funny about their beds! My DS currently sleeps with a duvet, a fleece blanket, his mama bear, 2 old muslin cloths, 3 more bears, a very large crocodile and a snake  ::) :P.

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:36:45 am »
My daughter loved her sleep sack too - it literally took half an hour or more of cajoling to get her out of it when she woke up. We left her in it til she moved to a big girls bed at 2 or 2 and a half or something, then made the change all in one go as part of becoming a big girl.  She wanted to sleep in a bed so much that she accepted that duvets go with beds and helped choose the duvet etc.  It went really well.

If she doesn't have to be out of her sleep sack then can you leave it and try again in a few months?

Offline Cloudmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 14:11:38 pm »
I think I'll give it a week and if she doesn't get used to it I'll put her back in the sleep sack. Who knew simple decisions could lead to problems later. ???

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 16:05:22 pm »
I kept in a sleep sack until they then made the move to out of the cot and into a 'big boy bed' it seemed the natural progression in their eyes.

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 21:21:30 pm »
This makes me chuckle as we have exactly the same issue!  My son is 16 months and during the summer we visited my parents where it doesn't really get below 25 degrees at night so too hot for a sleep sack but what a mission!  It took ages to get him to go down and in the end I gave up, put him to bed in his sleep sack and unzipped it once he was asleep.  Have tried again to wean him from it but he's still not ready.  I think for him it helps him to get to sleep by limiting his movement.  Harder to stand/walk/play etc so just gives up and goes to sleep.  Good luck!  At this stage I almost reckon I might just get the next size up and leave him in it!