Author Topic: NW 5 month - lots of help needed - PLEASE  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Irisim

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
NW 5 month - lots of help needed - PLEASE
« on: May 12, 2013, 20:43:03 pm »
Hi,

I am new to the website, and a big fan of Tracy's methods and done them successfully with DD1. However had little sucess with DD2 who is 5 month old today.

how and where should I start? so much to say.. :P apologies if my post is confused but please please help

My DD has been waking  up between 2-5 times each night (it got worst since I started stretching her feeds and making her wait 3.5-4 hours). So for example last night I fed her at bed time (19), she woke up at 22.40 and I fed her again, at 1.15 (I patted her to sleep), fed her at 2.40 and she woke again at 4 and 5 and finally at 6.30..
The night before; fed and bed at 19.00, woke up at 22.45 and fed, then at 2 (10 min to pat her back to sleep), 3 (25 min patting), 4.30 (fed for 12 min, pat 10 min to fall asleep), woke up at 7 but only ate at 8.15.

A new thing is that during the night she seems to only want to fall asleep on her side (this way she can rub her face again the mattress).
She also seems to wake more now that I pat her and not feed her whenever she wakes up (until about two weeks ago she used to wake up at around 22.30 and again around 3 for feed and 6 when she took very little food.

I have been doing ST  for 5 days now and it seems to get worst rather then better so I guess I am doing something wrong.

She is BF and takes the bottle once a day, usually during the afternoon (drinks between 60-90 ml). She would only BF for 4-7 min during the day, but would do for much longer if given the opportunity at night time (10-20 min).

I try to wait 3.5-4 hours between day time feeds. she normally then start to give hunger ques but eats for very short periods (4-5 min).

If she wakes up at night and I don't pat her she can work herself out for more then an hour moving around the cot (while in her swaddle), eventually she starts to fuss. so I am not sure at what point I should intervene - if I go in strait away she will normally go back to sleep after 10-20 min

She cries very little in general, and is alert and full of smiles the moment she opens her eyes (which makes it harder to make her nap for longer then 45 min). However she normally does wake up crying from her nap, though full of smiles once I walk into the room.

I normally feed her before bed time but will wake her to put her in cot, tell her a story and leave the room.

Day time routines are also a struggle but she usually has a 45 min nap during the morning around 8.30-9 and a 2 hours one in the afternoon. She will often have a 45 min cat nap in he buggy.
Bed time is b/w 7-7.30

So all in all she doesn't sleep much as she may be awake for two hours during the night (but I struggle to make her sleep lomger during the day)

I do not know if I should feed her during the night as she eats little during the day (even in a quiet dark room she will find something interesting to look at) or try and stretch.

Where should I start? Please offer some advice, anything... I am desperate and exhausted :)

Thanks!!

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: NW 5 month - lots of help needed - PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 18:53:04 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

It sounds to me like it's more a sleep training issue than a hunger issue. I think you're absolutely fine to still feed her every 3.5-4hr. Do you do a cluster feed before BT at all? Maybe after the CN and then again before bed? I kept that until my DS started solids and I'm also pretty sure he had a GS around 5mo. Babies of this age can be pretty efficient at draining the breast, so feeding for 4-7min isn't really too fast. Although, she's not taking much at the FF, so that's why I wondered about doing a cluster feed. Do you normally feed from one side or both at each E?

Are you working on getting her to sleep independently for the naps she does at home (the morning and longer afternoon one)? Also, I'm sure she does go back to sleep quicker with you patting her in the MOTN, but if you're going to her when she doesn't really need you, she's relying on you as a prop and not really learning to do it herself, iyswim. As difficult as it is, I'd leave her to work it out on her own and only go to her when she genuinely cries for you. It may take awhile the first few nights, but should get better (or else you might need a little routine tweak).

For only 5 days into ST, I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal, although I know it's tiring!

Offline Irisim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 20:29:06 pm »
Thanks Katie! I try to cluster feed her but often she would refuse. I  normally however,  feed her between 16.30 to 17.30 and then again at bed time.

Do you think its ok to continue to feed every 3.5-4 hrs at night is right or should I try and stretch this?
If she doesn't wake for her DF should I wake her? - until about a month ago she used to sleep from 19- 2 or 3 in the morning without a feed.

I am working on napping independently though finding it very tough  :P

The good news are that tonight I DF her from a bottle and she didn't wake until 3 (fed). She woke again at 5 and finally at 6.30 (I fed her at 5 as she seemed wide awake at 5 and I was desperate for her to get more sleep which she did).

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:22:11 am »
I  normally however,  feed her between 16.30 to 17.30 and then again at bed time.
I would consider that a cluster feed at this age.  The feeds are within 2-2.5hr of each other, right?

Do you think its ok to continue to feed every 3.5-4 hrs at night is right or should I try and stretch this?  If she doesn't wake for her DF should I wake her?
Yes, I would continue to feed every 3.5-4hr and settle the other NWs until you get the independent sleep and daytime routine a bit more under control.  It's up to you whether you want to DF her or not if she doesn't wake.  If you want to try to prevent that waking, you could go to her at 10-10:30 and see if that helps.   

I am working on napping independently though finding it very tough
It's not always easy with a second child, but it should help with her overall sleep and ability to self-soothe and transition between sleep cycles.

The good news are that tonight I DF her from a bottle and she didn't wake until 3 (fed). She woke again at 5 and finally at 6.30 (I fed her at 5 as she seemed wide awake at 5 and I was desperate for her to get more sleep which she did).
Definite progress!  And, FWIW I would have fed at 5 too... no shame in getting you both some extra sleep right now. :)

Offline Irisim

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:57 am »
Thanks that really helps!
Had a similar routine tonight, and just went off for a nap on her own :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:23 am »
:) Keep us posted...