Author Topic: Night weaning and wakings  (Read 1038 times)

Offline MiasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night weaning and wakings
« on: May 16, 2013, 19:38:45 pm »
Hi,

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or not. We are about to start weaning DD2 who is just over 10 months. She nurses every 4 hours around the clock (7:30/3:30/11:30, etc.) and I wasn't sure if it would be best to wean her from one of her nursing sessions at 11:30pm or 3:30am first, before dropping a day time feed. I am nervous and not excited about having to drop these but know it's needed. She eats lots and lots of solids, so I'm not worried about her food intake, just wondering why she is till waking up twice at night.

Thank you!

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Night weaning and wakings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:19:33 am »
It sounds like she's waking out of habit to me. I would definitely drop one of the NFs first. It's typically recommended to keep 3-4 BFs a day until 1yr. I'd rather them come during the day than at night, but that being said my DS had an early morning feed and then back to sleep for an hour or two til he was 16mo. ::)  I counted it as one of the 4 feeds from about 10mo on.

Does she wake really close to those times every night?  If so, you could always try wake-to-sleep first.  How do I address habitual wakings?  (wake-to-sleep and other methods). Is she an independent sleeper during the day and at BT?  The tough part about dropping NFs at this age is that they can put up quite a fight, but the good thing is that they usually learn pretty quick, so you can see a big difference within a few days.

(((Hugs))), I know the nervous feeling. We'll be here to hold your hand the whole way, if you'd like. :)