Author Topic: NW and talking to her mobile for 40+mins after taking away pacifier  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Should I go in and shh/pat or just let her do her thing?  16wks old and pacifier free for 2 days.  She is happy about it - this occurs around midnight and 5am.  She has a NF at 2am religiously.  Thanks!

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
Just let her be if she is happy. It can be a tad annoying, but that's pretty good for only 2 days in to being paci free! :)

It does sound like it could be a routine issue (maybe UT), but can be hard to tell so close to weaning a prop. How long does it last? Does she eventually settle on her own? Would you like to post your EAS to check? There's also often a GS right around 4mo, but she'd likely be waking up crying for that.

Offline Violet's mom

Thanks Katie for your response.  She takes pretty long naps during the day which I sometimes have to wake her from (she often wakes after 30mins cranky and I pat her back to sleep and she sleeps another 1-1.5hr!) I think she is finally adjusting to EASY but it's taken getting her off the paci to cooperate!
6am wake and feed
7:30 nap
8:30 or 9 e
10:30nap
12:00ish e
1:30ishnap
3:30ish e
5:00 or 6:00 catnap
Then she struggles with us to eat lately.
I aim to get her in bed by 8 after her bath and story but she has really been crying a lot again lately and seems extra tired.  Should I try an earlier bedtime?

We used to give her a bottle of pumped milk at night but she hasn't wanted it lately - I think due to teething - she has a tooth I can see on the bottom!  She just went through her growth spurt last week.

Last night she was awake cooing and chewing her fingers at 1:15am and 6am so I fed her and she got up for the day at 6am.
She always shows tired signs after about 1.5 hrs of being awake (ea)
Thanks again!

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

I aim to get her in bed by 8 after her bath and story but she has really been crying a lot again lately and seems extra tired.  Should I try an earlier bedtime?
Yeah, I think so.  How long is the CN at 5/6?  That's really a long day if she's waking at 6am... tycially babies do best on a 12/13hr day.  I also think it might be time to start adding to the A times.  At 4mo, the average is closer to 1:30-1:45, with some getting 2hr.  Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! . This will help you move toward 3 naps rather than 4, and hopefully shorten the day up a bit so she gets better sleep at night. 

Offline Violet's mom

Thanks again!  We put her to bed at 7 last night and she woke at 9 for a bottle, 1am to play and nurse, 5am to play and nurse.  I am working on increasing a time but it seems to frustrate her and makes going down for naps a little more challenging...  And she has been trying to use me as a pacifier too now haha so I am being diligent about that!

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

Sounds good... it can take some time for them to get used to longer A times during the day, so stick with it and it will get easier.  Keep us posted! :)

Offline Violet's mom

Ok so she is on a better schedule lately with going to bed at 6:30pm and waking for a NF at 7:15pm.  She generally sleeps til 2am now but talks to her mobile for about half an hour before falling back asleep (cute but i want her to get good sleep!). Today she was not napping well so I left her in her crib for 20 mins while she talked to the owls on her sheets and she fell back asleep.  Shh/pat is quite distracting for her lately!  I guess I should just let her be but I want her to get solid sleep instead of broken sleep. 

Thanks again!

**Tracy**

Offline katie80

The waking and chatting could be developmental. Although I know the goal is uninterrupted sleep, it's great that she eventually goes back to sleep on her own. How are the A times coming?  Waking mid nap like that could indicate a bit more push is needed.