Author Topic: NW habitual?  (Read 922 times)

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 17, 2013, 15:10:41 pm »
I am not sure if my LO night waking is considered habitual or not. He is 7.5 months old and wakes anywhere between 12-2 and then again anywhere from 5-630, finally waking for the day between 730-830. When he wakes in the middle of the night I feed him then lay him right back down and he goes to sleep. He is breast fed, getting one 2 oz formula bottle a day. This week I decided to try and get him to take a bottle in the middle of the night so he can be baby sat. Well the first night he initially took it, then when he rested he choked and got upset and would not take anymore. The next night I tried a different nipple where it would not come out unless he sucked. He would not even attempt to take he bottle. By trying to give him the bottle, I realized he does not seem hungry at all. I have realized he seems to nurse/pacify on me for longer and longer. Basically, I want to stop these night wakings and was wondering how to do it especially if he is hungry...even though I really do not feel he is. I am going to continue trying win the bottle. But getti g did of the night wakings would be best.

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: NW habitual?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:02 am »
hugs on the nw's and bottle issues.  WRT to the nw's being habitual, I think that there is some component of these being habit even though he's not waking exactly at the same time each night.  There are a couple of strategies that you can try.

W2S is one option.  You could try going in around 11 pm and just gently rousing him but not waking him up and see if that improves the nws.  I just don't know how well it will work if he's waking at 2 am  :-\.  here's some additional info on it.
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Another option would be like a gentle removal type of plan where you would feed for less time until you are no longer feeding him at night.  This is tricky because we don't really know how much milk they are getting when bf.  How we stopped the night feeds with a 9 month old

And, another option would be not to feed but to re-settle with what ever soothing method you use (e.g. shh-pat or PU/PD, etc). I would expect more protest with this option.  with this option, you could ask your significant other to help out as your LO wont be expecting to be fed by that person.

HTH

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:27 am »
Thanks...will try to decrease the time he is nursed and see if that helps. I was unsuccessful with w2s for naps so I think I will hold off on trying that for now as I am trying to get sleep at 11 also  :-\

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: NW habitual?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 16:54:20 pm »
Yes, it's rough when you are trying to get sleep also.  Let me know how  things go.