Author Topic: 5am waking  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Wiggly woo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:33:46 am »
Hi, I recently sleep trained my 6 month old baby and she has gone from waking every 2-3 hours to, most of the time, sleeping from 7-7.30 until 5am, which is amazing. The problem in that when she wakes up at 5 she's up for between 1-2 hours, by which time I need to get up for work while she can have another snooze! :)

When she wakes she is still tired and is yawning, rubbing her eyes. Her eyes mostly remain closed. She wakes and is crying immediately and is quite difficult to soothe. I've given her time to self-settle but she never does at this waking. I have tried sitting by her cot, shhhhing, placing my hand on her tummy but nothing seems to soothe her for more than a few seconds. Yesterday I tried feeding her. She did take the whole bottle but it was a struggle and she then struggled with all her bottles and food for the rest of the day.

I don't know what to do for the best and wanted some advice. If she's not settling, should I get her up? At the mo we have got her up and changed her nappy, let her play and then tried to put her to bed, we've tried to just keep her in her cot. Is there things we can do to stop this waking and let her sleep on for just a little longer?

Re: naps. Generally she has a morning nap of between 1-1.5 hours but in the afternoon will usually only nap for between 45mins to 1.25 hours. She also sometimes has a 30-40 min cat nap around 4.30-5.

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 5am waking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10:52 am »
Wow, it's great that she's STTN but boo for the ew's.  A couple of things come to mind when reading your post....  the ew may be due to her routine so I'm wondering if you could post it for us so we can see of something could be tweeked.  You mention that she struggles to drink her whole bottle.  I'm wondering if she has reflux or some other tummy discomfort?  Has she started any solids?

Quote (selected)
If she's not settling, should I get her up? At the mo we have got her up and changed her nappy, let her play and then tried to put her to bed, we've tried to just keep her in her cot.
  I think I would have done the same if she's not settling.  Keeping everything low key and centered in her crib is a good idea to hopefully reinforce that this should be time for sleeping.