Author Topic: my lo doesnt drink water and always plays with his sippy cup instead  (Read 2016 times)

Offline yasminesakr85

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • very grathful for BW Forum
Everytime I give my 9 months his sippy cup he plays with it and refuses to drink from it and drink too little water from a direct cup .....how can I help him drink more water from the sippy or should I get him another type or a normal cup??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Hi, Tracy suggested sitting LO on your knee facing outwards and helping him drink hand over hand to give him the idea. Also only put about an oz in the sippy cup as it is quite difficult to pick up if it is full.

I would offer a bottle of water if you are concerned about dehydration at all, it may well be he is getting enough fluids without large quantities of water.  You could try modelling the sippy cup, I drank some tea out of a sippy a few times and my DS saw it in action, it motivated him to have more interest.  You could also try a straw, my LO liked that although it did mean I had to hold the cup so it is not quite so easy to let him get on with it (you may need to model the straw too, you can also dip the end in water and put your finger over the end to trap some in, then release the small amount in LO's mouth to give the idea).

hth and maybe other have some ideas too.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
I remember it took DS a LONG time to finally drink from a sippy once I'd moved from giving him water in a bottle, but he did get it eventually. I'd suggest keep trying, and give some of the suggestions offered above a go.
Catherine x

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
DD didn't drink much water at all until we were down to 1-2 bfs a day - I just don't think she was thirsty.  I'd just let him play with the sippy, and not worry as long as he's getting plenty of wet nappies, he's getting all the liquid he needs x

Offline sueyloo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
You can try a different sippy cup. My DD2 wasn't drinking a lot of water too and was constipated. I decided to try a different (and much much simpler cup) and voila, she took to it really well. She's drinking loads more now. Just keep trying and offer it to her at different times in the day too, that seemed to help my dd2 to get used to the idea of drinking out of it.

Offline yasminesakr85

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • very grathful for BW Forum
I have the avent sippy .I tried it once and its really difficult. ..any suggestions for another type??

Offline creations

I used tommie tippie free flow. It's advised not to have a sippy with a valve (the non-spill sort), the free flow it just pours at a slow rate so comes out easily.

Offline songbird

• Showing Appreciation 2
I'm having the same problem - I find when I take off the valve LO chokes after a sip and with the valve she showed no interest?

Sorry about barging into your thread ;-)
[/url

Offline creations

I think it's quite normal for there to be a bit of coughing and spluttering to begin with.  Mine has just transitioned from a sippy to an open cup so we've gone through the coughing and spluttering again whilst he got used to the fast flow of an open cup.  Usually it doesn't seem to bother him so I wouldn't worry unless LO appears to be in distress. I'd go valve free so they get used to the free flow more quickly.