Author Topic: Constipation since starting solid food  (Read 1777 times)

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 16, 2013, 18:16:57 pm »
My LO is 7 1/2 months old. I started him on rice cereal when he was 4 months then moved him to stage one baby foods at 6 months. Currently I feed him breastmilk in the morning with a fruit,  breastmilk with a veggies and cereal about 4 hours later, breastmilk for the next 2 feedings each about 3.5-4 hours after the prior feeding then 2 ounces of formula, veggie or fruit and cereal for his last feeding. He wakes 1-2 times at night for a breastmilk feeding.  I changed him from rice to oatmeal cereal.  Basically since I introduced stage 1 foods, we have been battling constipation. Prunes work well to make him go but basically once I give him the prune for the next 2 days he goes like 4 times a day then by the 3 day he goes about 2 times but they are hard little balls. I am concerned with giving him prunes more often and making him poop so much, so I was hoping to get any feedback or suggestions from anyone who has dealt with this? Thanks!

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Constipation since starting solid food
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 18:22:08 pm »
We had the same problem, you can try other laxative foods like peas and pears, maybe they wont be as harsh. I remember we went through a stage when DD got a prune a day to keep her regular. Things are better now but I still limit rice, apple sauce and bananas because they tend to constipate her..

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 18:47:09 pm »
Thanks, I give him pears and peas regularly through the mix. But I will try giving them at least once a day...thanks!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 19:02:54 pm »
Does he seem uncomfortable with it?

DD also used to pass hard little balls when we started her on solids but I couldn't pinpoint particular foods that backed her up.  I think it was just her digestive system getting used to things.  It happened sometimes from around 6-12 months and now haven't seen it for ages.  Mostly she didn't seem bothered by the infrequent / hard poops, but if she seemed uncomfortable we would also up the prunes and pears.
Emma

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:15 am »
No he really does not seem uncomfortable. It seems like he might be getting a little diaper rash from the frequent wiping, but that does not even seem to bother him. I just put on a ton of butt paste.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:00:37 am »
Hi Vanessa, there may be some info here that might be helpful to you:- Constipation and Laxative Foods
Catherine x

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:32:03 am »
You could drop the cereals as well completely if constipation is a problem.  Rice cereal is very hard on little tummies sometimes.

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:45:03 am »
I switched him to oatmeal cereal. The only reason why I am hesitant on dropping it is because when he was just on breastmilk and cereal his bowels were fine. I did not start to have this problem until I introduced solids...plus cereal seems to be his favorite. But ibi can not figure it out, I will try that next...thanks!