Author Topic: Almost 11 month and 1 hr long NW  (Read 1408 times)

Offline sonimusical

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 20, 2013, 16:53:56 pm »
Hello,

My baby is almost 11 months and has always woken up at night for feeds. Until last month it was two feeds and since then, he wakes up just once after sleeping for 8 hr. He seems genuinely hungry and finishes up the bottle and back to sleep for a few more hours. Past few days when he wakes up, he doesn't go back to sleep until 1hr. He is awake/alert.

I read the 10/11 month sleep gone wonky and had a few questions. I changed to his A time to 4 hr from 3:30 mins and was capping both his naps. The first I was waking up him at 1:30 mins and second nap at 30-45 mins. Should I cap both or just one ? What causes long NWs..if I am correct is not enough A time during the day ? 4 hr should be ok for his age ? He is a very alert/active baby.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the NW but if not, I am hoping that he'd just take his bottle and go right back to bed. Any suggestions ? I looked at some sample schedules but I don't see many with moms capping the naps.. Can you show me what an ideal schedule for an 11 month should be ? How much day sleep between the two naps etc ?

I have just started working from home and I don't have the luxury to take a nap in the day time anymore so I need some sleep !!

Thank you for the help.

Ekta

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Almost 11 month and 1 hr long NW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »
Hi Ekta, it sounds like you've done the right things in terms of adding A time and capping naps.  You don't have to cap both naps at this age, you can let him sleep for 2hr for the first one if you'd like.  The trouble with this is that some LOs will refuse the second nap if they sleep too long in the morning, so then the morning one must be capped. 

Typically, long NWs are considered UT (not enough A time, as you said), but can also be down to teething/discomfort or developmental milestones (practicing crawling/standing/walking, etc).  Do you have any of the others going on?

What does your EAS currently look like?  I don't know that there is an ideal one, because every LO needs something different.  Is he an independent sleeper during the day and at BT?

I'm guessing this might be close or work well for your DS...
Wake 7am
Nap 1 11am-1pm
Nap 2 5-5:30pm
BT 7:30/8pm

Offline sonimusical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 21:11:41 pm »
Thanks Katie -

I did that routine yesterday except that last A time I gave him 3 hrs which seemed a little too long. Will keep it at 2.5 hrs. He is both teething and standing so some wake ups are expected I guess. He still woke up early this morning. Had 2 wake ups last night. One after 6 hrs which he didnt want to get fed and I rocked him back to sleep. He woke again at the 8 hr mark which he took the bottle and slept again.
Yesterday's routine -
7am awake
11am-1pm nap
5-5:30 nap
8:45 sleep - he was OT by 8:15 and took 30 mins to go down
Woke up at 1ish for 20 mins and then at 4ish for a bottle. Up for the day at 6:45am. Not sure why the early wake up.

Put him for first nap at 10:45am today and he woke up grouchy after 1.5hrs. Is he still OT you think from late bedtime last night ?

Thx for help..

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 13:38:19 pm »
Put him for first nap at 10:45am today and he woke up grouchy after 1.5hrs. Is he still OT you think from late bedtime last night ?
Could be... that was a pretty short, OT night. I'd stick with 2-2.5hr A after that CN, as he's had a lot of A already before it.

And yes, teething and standing are likely playing a part too. Have you tried meds to see if that helps?

Offline sonimusical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:09:11 am »
Hi Katie,

Thanks for your reply. So both yesterday and today, gave him a 4 hr A time and he napped for 1.5hrs. Last night he slept by 7:30pm ( 2h45min A time after the catnap ) and woke up at 2:30 for a quick bottle and slept until 6:15pm. I was out in the morning and got him for his nap at 10:30am ( I know, 4 hr 15 mins A time )...and he woke up at 1.5hrs happy. Does that mean he needs more A time or that I need to tire him out more ? :P

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 18:43:34 pm »
Does that mean he needs more A time or that I need to tire him out more ?
Hard to know... I don't think he needs more A time, as you've just upped it and 1.5hr is a solid nap.  You sure could try to get him a bit more physical activity in the morning to see if it makes a difference.  It might just be a random two days, I don't think we can call it a pattern yet.  If it starts getting shorter and shorter though, like 1h20/1h15/1h10min, then you might want to try and tweak things.

Keep me posted... :)