Author Topic: whats a good formula for a squirmy gassy baby?  (Read 8487 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
whats a good formula for a squirmy gassy baby?
« on: May 20, 2013, 22:40:17 pm »
My dd is 11 weeks old and has been gassy from day one.  It has never seemed to bother her to me.  But now she is on 5-5.5 oz every 3 hrs.  When I feed her she squirms so much its hard to keep her bottle in.  I have tried a different flow, didn't really help just ran all Down her chin,  I have moved her to a 3.5-4 hr feeding thinking maybe she's not hungry bc sometimes I'd have to wake her and sometimes shed just smile at me not really interested in eating,  still didn't really help.  She is on zantac bc she has choking spells and Dr prescribed zantac.  She's never spit up and usually doesn't have trouble burping.  But when I feed her she just won't stay still.  I was thinking about trying a formula for gas but I really want to stay as close to the reg formula as possible.  My ds is 5 and was on soy when he was a baby and now drinks almond milk bc he was complaining of his belly hurting all the time and green poop all the time so ped suggested switch trying almond and it has worked.  I was thinking about enfamil gentleease she is currently on enfamil newborn, parent choice equivalent though.  I was debating between enfamil gentleease or gerber brand, either one in the parents choice brand.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not a big fan of similac as it stinks and stains and does not mix well.
Tina

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: whats a good formula for a squirmy gassy baby?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:15 am »
This actually sounds  a little more like reflux hun.. have a look here:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information

It could also be MPI/MSPI - both milk/soy protein intolerance and reflux can mimic one another and they only way to really figure it out is by symptoms and trial/error.

How are her poops?  Any mucous/stringy bits?

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:45:51 am »
Well she is on zantac but the only real symptom she has is the gag/choke issue and gas.  The gas doesn't seem to bother her as in she doesn't cry nor doesn't cry when she eats.  Oh and she does constantly have hiccups but had them constantly in the womb also.  When she chokes its a lot of times not after a feed more so when its almost time for another feed and she also does it when she cries, which she doesn't cry real often she is very content.  Her poop I believe is normal its usually every other day and its yellowish/with a little green but not much and its not runny and not formed about like   a thick yogurt like.  I've tried giving her gripe water but when I do that it seems to give her diarrhea right then it only last once.   She's got to just when I feed her she squirms, pushes her legs out and flairs her arms but she never fussed when she does it she just keeps sucking.  I also use the Dr brown bottles or the platex murders and mix her formula in the dr brown pitcher ( which I love bc it helps keep the bubbles and extra air out). Do you think maybe I should try gas drops with every feed first?  I'm just kind of scared bc the gas drops had the opposite affect on my ds.  But I guess I could see.  Do you think they will work or do you think I should try a formula for gas?
Tina

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:16:43 am »
that still sounds like it could be silent reflux to me... hang on and I will get a mom of a refluxer to have a peek... 

The poops sound normal to me so that would rule out MPI/MSPI...

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:17:21 am »
Forgot to ask ;)

How much does she weigh and what is her current dose of Zantac/how many doses each day/when do you give the doses?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:41 am »
Hey there :)
Sounds like my second T. The squirming makes me think it's more likely MSPI and reflux (but reflux possibly being the symptom rather than the main issue YK?)

How long has she been on Zantac? - and what kara says - weight/dose :-*

IMO if your giving formula the way to check for MSPI would be to try a hyper allergenic formula and see if it helps.

How are poops? - mucus? Xx
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:32:25 am »
Sorry just saw your poop info ;) looks ok ATM.
We found during the colicky period (1-4 mths) colic calm worked really well. Pricey but it helped. Also simethicone drops ie oval or infacol can definitely help if you think wind is the issue. 
***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:37:12 am »
Sorry another one from me!
- how does she swallow? Does she ever latch onto the bottle properly? - any tongue tie
***Sara***

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 14:00:07 pm »
She weighs about 11 lbs now and she's taking the zantac twice a day with .6 MLS.  She's been taking it since last Tuesday.  She latches fine no trouble.  She really doesn't show any signs of colic as she doesn't cry often.  She was having some issues with her spitting up but it never came out so she was like swallowing it back down but now she's on the zantac that's went away.  She lays flat with.  no problem.   Sorry what does atm and imo mean, sorry silly question.
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 21:39:56 pm »
At the moment ;)
In my opinion :-*

Zantac shouldn't change the actual refluxing just the acid coming up. So it would help her lie flat without pain but won't stop the milk coming up :-\
***Sara***

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 00:05:45 am »

She's never really had trouble with milk coming  up maybe 3-4 times but I think it was from over feeding.  That what's kind of confusing bc she doesnt spit up and doesn't seem to be in any pain.  I don't know if its coincidence or what but she has began napping better the last two days.  Today is a week she's been on meds.  Or if its just she's just getting in the routine.  Do you think it could be teething already?  I switched her milk today so well see if it helps any .
Tina

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:35 am »
It could be the meds. I would stick with them for now, maybe leave the dose as is and if you notice symptoms return as she gains weight you know the Zantac was doing something ;)

Glad she is so much better :)
***Sara***

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:50 am »
Hi there.
Our lo had silent reflux and hv recommended aptamil comfort as its a thicker milk. In the end the reflux was due to cows milk allergy. sounds like the meds for your lo are starting to kick in. From what i can remember it took a little while for them to work.

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 14:33:29 pm »
How long will it take for thenew milk to kick in?  She was real squrimy for her 8 am feeding this morning about mid ways ito the the bottle.   But like I said she doesn't cry just squirms.  I started the new milk yesterday afternoon at about 3 pm.  I really can't recall if the squirming started when she started her meds or if it was before....
Tina

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 14:59:24 pm »
I think it takes a week or so for their tummies to get used to a new milk but the comfort milk is thicker than normal milk so it stays down better. Have a look on aptamil website.