Author Topic: Is there a maximum amount of formula for 14 week old baby?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I read in a few places to not exceed feedings by 32 oz because that is a sign that they are ready for solids.

Is 32 oz a maximum or no?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Is there a maximum amount of formula for 14 week old baby?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:05 am »
The amount of milk your LO needs over 24h is related to weight - I usually work on 150mls/kg spread over 24h.  That said, some babies are hungrier than others, and needing bigger-than-average feeds is not necessarily a sign of needing solids.  14 weeks is too young for solids anyway ;). If your LO is satisfied after feeds, not spitting up excessively and gaining weight appropriately but not excessively, that's the right amount of feed for your LO. 

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 20:40:00 pm »
DD2 ate over 40oz/day for a couple days during her 6 week growth spurt  :o  There is another around 3 months and I can wait to see how much she devours!  14weeks is definitely too early for solids according to our ped, DD1 was ready and wanted to eat at 4months but it was too early for sure, and he had us wait until 5 months.  I don't think you can determine readiness by how much formula they are consuming, I think it's more whether they are developmentally ready for it...there's some days now that DD2 is over 32oz, but she's only 10 weeks old, so not ready at all for solids.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 21:18:10 pm »
The idea of a maximum per day seems to come from some of the US health care people, I have never come across it in the UK!

The advice here is always to feed what they will take and if they are draining bottles you need to add another oz. If a baby was breast feeding they would self regulate and while formula feeding is different, ideally there should be a bit left in the bottle so you know they stopped because they were full and not because the food ran out!

Babies are very good at self regulating, my chunky top of the charts refluxers only took about 25oz per day but I've known plenty of smaller babies take a lot more than they ever did!

Laura

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 14:39:28 pm »
My ped said I could introduce cereal at about 3 1/2 months I thought it was a little early.  We havent yet and not sure I will when she is 3 1/2 months.  Maybe I will try at 4 mths but very runny.
Tina

Offline fairypk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 15:31:14 pm »
I'm just going with the flow and for the last few days have managed to get LO to have 4 x 5 oz bottles during the day plus a DF (3-4 oz), NF (3-4oz) and a morning feed which varies for a total of around 28-30 oz or so.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:11:33 am »
Agree with others - whatever she takes and is happy with is the right amount for her.  My DD was at about 28 ozs at this age and did get to 32 ozs consistently by 5 months, though she did have days where she had more.

The 32 oz "limit" is from BabyCenter in the USA - it's an old article.

No solids until baby is developmentally ready - sit unassisted and don't have the tongue thrust reflex...  Few babies are ready before 5-6 months of age.. before that age, tummy is not ready and it just causes them to reduce milk intake as they are too full - missing out on nutrients they need from formula/breast milk.