Author Topic: Feeding nightmare  (Read 1884 times)

Offline confusedmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Feeding nightmare
« on: May 19, 2013, 16:48:20 pm »
Hi, my DD is 8 months old and has reflux. I started her on Ella's kitchen fruit pouches at 5.5months and she loved them. Her milk in take has always been low, but is getting lower, between 12/18oz max per day. I then tried her with the fruit/vegetable mix pouches and she wasn't too keen, then tried proper savoury and she hates it, not just the taste but the textures, any savoury lump makes her gag and throw up, now she just refuses point blank to open her mouth and just today has actually started crying. I tried BLW and she will eat chips, and puff pastry strips but any veg or meat she won't put near her mouth. I have also tried the horrible powdered stuff, and she won't touch.

For breakfast she has porridge (powdered with lumps) mixed with milk and she will eat fine, and for tea she has rusk mixed with milk (I'm trying to get as much extra milk as poss). Although in the last couple of days she is not taking as much I these either. I think maybe she is a bit poorly at the moment but if it was just this time I wouldn't think too much of it but she hardly ever eats. Lunch times have become a depressing battle and I don't want her to hate lunch times.

I'm hoping someone can help and give some advice as Im so worried about her nutrition. On a tangent but may be related the docs say that she has large tonsils and not sure if this is affecting her eating although I doubt it woul affect her taste buds.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Feeding nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 14:23:22 pm »
Bumping for you :)

I'm hoping someone can help and give some advice as Im so worried about her nutrition.
Do bear in mind that solid foods at this age are still about exploring tastes and textures - her main nutrition will still be coming from the milk. Milk is the important thing up until around 12 months.
Catherine x

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 16:08:52 pm »
Have you tried puréed fruits or veg in with her porridge since she eats that ok?
I started my dd with Cheerios, rice cakes etc, - things that kind of melt in the mouth and were easy to eat, but then that was all she wanted.  I wanted her to eat (or at least try) more fruit, veg, meat and 'real' food so I just stopped providing her with the other stuff because I think she knew it was coming and would hold out for it.  Maybe hold back on the chips and pastry if you want to introduce more variety.  It took my dd a while, but as Catherine said, milk is most important at this age so I wasn't worried about her not eating anything while she got used to what I was putting in front of her.
Hugs, it's hard to stay relaxed about food when you just want them to eat well and be healthy!
Emma

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 17:22:28 pm »
Thanks guys, emami I'm doing the same as you, I would give pudding if she didn't eat lunch as I was worried she'd be hungry but I figured she knew all she had to do was keep her mouth tightly closed and wait a bit then she'd get what she wanted. So I've stopped that now. Today I put her in a long sleeved apron, and shower cap (she has long hair) an i just scooped some 1st stage cauliflower cheese (she seems to like white food) on to her tray so she could scoop and feed her self. Instead she just played with it then started crying. I tried a bit in a spoon and she took it albeit reluctantly, an it was only about 4 full spoonfuls (although she had about 12 little spoonfuls). Then she just refuses the rest. As she did eat some I have her custard an she ate quite a bit so I know she's not full when she refuses.

If she drank enough milk I wouldn't be too concerned but she doesn't drink enough, and also I don't want to give her bad experiences of feeding so she just hates it : (

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 19:06:05 pm »
Hi there. Is her weight gain ok?  If it is I would try not to worry, stress over meals just starts very one out on the wrong foot IMO and it needs to be a happy, sociable, fun time.  My DS has silent reflux and I spent most of his life worried about his milk intake which was half the guidance amount.  now I am not saying milk is not needed, it is, it is very important, however if the weight gain is ok and your LO is maintaining the same centile line then she may well be taking what she needs even if it doesn't eat the guidance or norms or averages etc etc.

I would offer finger foods and eat the exact same at the same time, LOs love to copy mummy and to be reassured the food is 'safe' by seeing mummy eat it.