Author Topic: Dream feed - trouble dropping  (Read 2099 times)

Offline daisycsb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
My DS is almost 9 months and 23lbs.  This is the second time we're attempting to drop the dream feed (the first time he got ill in the middle).  We're at night 7 and down to 3oz (from 6).  For the past couple of nights, he has woken an hour earlier than was his usual.  I tried giving him a bottle and putting him back to sleep to no avail.  I'm at a loss here because he is definitely old enough and big enough to drop it but an hour less sleep (his usual is 11hrs but now we're at 10) is making him (and me) super tired and throwing off our EASY.  I should add that we started solids at 4 months and he is eating almost everything with rather large meals, three 7oz bottles and one before bed (doesn't always take the whole thing).  He has also dropped the cat nap.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Dream feed - trouble dropping
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:13 am »
It could be that he's just not ready to drop it, especially if he's bigger.  My ds didn't drop it until 10 months, though he was BF, not FF. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:03:51 am »
Agree with Erin.. likely not ready to drop it yet.

There are two ways to think about whether or not baby should sleep through... small babies need more to grow so will need to wake up more OR small babies will need less to sustain them so will wake less.. same for big babies.  They may well need more feeds to maintain their rate of growth.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 22:03:25 pm »
We kept our DF until nearly 11 months. E just wasn't ready I didn't feel. Lots of people would 't worry about an early morning NF continuing for quite some time and I preferred to keep the DF than have an early waking grouchy LO. Hth
~ Naomi ~

Offline daisycsb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 14:59:50 pm »
Thanks ladies!  I am happy to report that we have successfully phased out the dream feed.  DS is 11 months and last night was the last dream feed.  So excited because being pregnant again, I can barely lift him out of the crib.  I think his night time sleeping has improved as well.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 15:40:48 pm »
Lovely update :)
~ Naomi ~