Author Topic: Finger foods - I'm so scared of choking  (Read 1834 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: May 28, 2013, 00:12:17 am »
Considering my DD just turned two, I'm surprised that I'm so afraid of introducing finger foods to my 8.5 month old DS. But I'm terrified of him choking. I was with my DD as well, but guess I somehow got over it. Anyways, right now we are still doing purees, but I'm just wondering if there's an advantage to introducing finger foods if he's taking purees fine. And if so, what finger foods should I give him. He doesn't have his pincer grasp yet, so anything really small I've already tried but just gets lost in his fists or on the floor (cheese cubes, cheerios, peas, carrots). And what age is it common to forego purees?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Finger foods - I'm so scared of choking
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
You should really start moving to textured foods around 6-7 months and introduce finger foods at 6-8 months.  Then onto soft lumps about 9 months.

These are all guidelines but the advantages are the manipulation in his mouth helps speech development, also you don't want to be spooning it in forever!  And it helps with that hand / eye coordination.

I was scared but when my son was about 6 weeks old I went on a baby first aid course which covered things like choking and it made me more confident.  He then did choke on a piece of apple and I knew what to do.  The fact is babies pick up all kinds of things and put them in their mouths, especially with an older one about so knowing what to do is a really good idea.

Just start with softish things you could squish between your fingers because that's what his gums will be like.  Remember as well that until he has a pincer grip, he will need things to have a 'handle'.  Cooked broccoli and cauliflower are good as is roasted sweet potato (just look for any crunchy sharp bits and cut them off).

You really must try.  Remember that gagging is completely normal and babies will gag sometimes. 

So do give it a go and steer clear of raw apple for a while (people always talk about sausages and grapes but since my son had his thing I've found out it's really common to have issues with raw apples in the BLW community.)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
I would really recommend doing a baby first aid course like pp said. You are unlikely to need it but it will make you feel lots more confident knowing that you will know what to do should the occasion arise.

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:01:13 am »
DS2 is 8 months and I would say just this past week or so has figured out how to hold food so he can get in his mouth. He'll even use his other hand to adjust. It takes practice for certain! You could try doing both at meal times. Finger foods for him to practice with while you spoon feed. I was a nervous wreck about choking but just took all the precautions of not giving the risky foods like grapes and hotdogs. I should take the first aide course too, fantastic idea!
Catherine - Sri - Vee

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:30:29 am »
Thanks everyone. He doesn't have his pincer grasp, so I've been giving him toast soldiers. He likes to suck on them and they are usually spat out in little pieces, but I think he's just learning. I'm going to try broccoli next :)