Author Topic: 9 month old long restless night waking  (Read 1406 times)

Offline lizageorge

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:17 am »
my son is 9 months. his average day is like this:

wake up between 6 and 7 bf
breakfast 8
nap between 9 and 10 (depending on when he wakes up) he can sleep anywhere from 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hours.
bottle when he wakes (6 oz)
lunch 1
bottle 3.30 (6 oz)
nap 4 for 45 minutes
dinner 5
bath 6
Bottle and bed 7

he has been waking between 1-3 and taking at least 1 hour (sometimes 2) to settle back to sleep. he crys until I go into his room and then he is just really unsettled. he's not crying for milk and I had thought it was teething so I'd been giving him calpol. but it's been going on 6 weeks now. if I leave the room he just starts crying again. he had also been waking very early, but this seems to have stopped the last couple of nights. I'm due back to work in 4 weeks and am worried I'm not going to cope. any ideas?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 9 month old long restless night waking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:08 am »
hi there.

hugs for the long nw and ews. 

During the nw, is he pulling up, crawling or standing?  At this age, developmental milestones can cause a lot of sleep disturbances. 

How are you settling him when he does have a nw?

WRT his routine, it looks like his second A is really long - could be more than 4 hrs?  Then his last A is shorter.  I'm wondering if he's getting a bit OT mid-day which could be causing problems during the night / early morning. 

jaidee

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 21:31:52 pm »
We are facing similar issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 17:29:29 pm by jaidee »

Offline lizageorge

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 18:34:22 pm »
he is often standing in his cot. if he is standing I keep lying him down untill he goes back to sleep. or if hes lying down ill give him his dummy and sit by his cot until he goes back off. if I leave the room he screams.

I will try and bring his afternoon nap forward, but this is usually the earliest he will go to sleep. I wondered whether I needed to bring the morning nap forward a bit or cut it shorter.

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 23:35:09 pm »
Is he walking now or just cruising?  Give him lots on time to practice during the day.

Wrt naps, try to increase the morning A and keep the pm nap set at 4 pm and see how he does.  You could cap his am nap at 2 hrs if he sleeps that long but since his pm nap is only 45 min, I would want to ensure he has one restorative nap, iykwim.