Author Topic: 21 month old that will not sleep in her bed.  (Read 872 times)

Offline carlaford

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
21 month old that will not sleep in her bed.
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:53 am »
The problem started about 3 months ago, before this she would be put to bed awake with soothing music on and her milk and would go to sleep.  Then out of no where she started screaming when I put her to bed so I would leave her to settle herself and she would then climb up in the side of her cot and throw herself down so I decided to put her into a bed that way she was closer to the floor reducing risk of injury. She would then spend around 2 hours screaming at her stair gate disrupting her older sister. So I decided to try and get her to sleep downstairs in her vibrating chair and move her Io. This again worked well for a few weeks then she would start waking and screaming so I would try sitting with her rubbing her back sometimes up to 2 hours and she would be snoring but thaw minute I stopped and tried to leave she would wake screaming.  Most nuggets not getting her fully asleep until around 10.30 at night for her to be up again in the.night impossible to settle unless in my bed with me which I didn't want to do but am Si exhausted I needed to sleep she will then be up again at 6. I am really running out of ideas please any advice welcome

Offline brummum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 56
Re: 21 month old that will not sleep in her bed.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:16 am »
Going to move over to toddler sleep board as little one is over 12months, hope you get some useful advice and some much needed sleep soon!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 21 month old that will not sleep in her bed.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:24:26 am »
Hello,

Welcome to toddler sleep :)

Sounds like this started at around 18 months and there is an 'infamous' sleep regression then which may have kicked off your problems.

We also went through this regression but once it was over the good news is the re-sleep training didn't take that long.

I would suggest that you start settling her again at BT in her own bed (am I right you are still doing this downstairs ATM?). She will prob protest at this age but you have to be consistent and teach her again that she goes to sleep in her bed. At first, I'd suggest staying with her and giving her as much reassurance as she needs to fall asleep.

Then you could use GW to gradually reduce the amount of help you give her until she is sleeping independently again.  Alternatively, depending on how you think she'd react and since she used to fall asleep independently, you could use WIWO.

This link describes these techniques in more detail:

Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

What do you think?

It will prob be tough for a while but I think you really need to teach her to fall asleep independently again.

Also, I wondered is there any teething going on at the moment as canines can mess up sleep a lot.

Could you also post her usual routine (WU, nap time and BT) as maybe a tweak could help too.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old