Author Topic: Still on 3 Bottles  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Still on 3 Bottles
« on: June 04, 2013, 19:06:22 pm »
Hi all Liam is still on 3 bottles a day. He gets about 18-20oz of Elecare (prescription formula). We haven't done a milk trial yet but will next week when I'm home from a business trip.

His current sched:
W: 6
E: 6:30 Solids
E: 7:45 He's usually clammering for his AM bottle about this time 6oz
E: 9 Snack around of coconut yogurt and fruit
Sleep 11-1
E 1:15 lunch of solids
E: 2:30/3 about  6oz
E: 4 Snack of rice cakes and fruit/cheerios
E: 5:30 Dinner
E: BT bottle around 6:30 6-8oz

I think maybe he's holding out for his bottles ? I can't offer cheese or anything at the moment so he gets all his dairy from formula.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Still on 3 Bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 21:41:17 pm »
I don't think 20oz is too much considering he can't have dairy solids yet.  Although guidance is to drop bottles at 1yo many continue with 1 or 2 bottles per day for a long time after and in your case it makes sense to have a third milk drink.  Are you worried about the amount of milk or that he is still having the bottles?
What is he like if you give the morning milk at WU and the solids an hour or so later?  Mine still has a big milk drink (cup but he is much older) first thing before his breakfast, I see it as a very quick method of getting something in his tummy, far more immediate than solids breakfast.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 00:50:39 am »
I've found he eats far less solids if I offer milk first. So solids should be priority right? My concern is he's holding out on solids because he wants his bottle. He still so enjoys his bottle.

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:31 am »
How about switching the mid afternoon bottle for a sippy cup of milk or water alongside either lunch or the snack?  He'd still get a decent amount of milk with the 2 bottles per day and might up his solids a bit.  What do you think?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:41:52 am »
That sounds like a plan, so it's ok that I give him that much formula still right? He's doing much better with a sippy so I think he'll drink from it, although not as much as from a bottle. He loves the one with the straw. Will also help us get out of the house more too. This feeding him every 2hrs was getting really difficult.

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:14 am »
Between 12 an 20 oz is fine at 1yo.  Keeping in mind he isn't getting the solids dairy so being on the higher end of the milk intake is not a bad thing (does the coconut yoghurt count as diary? I'm not sure?).  General advice always need adapting to individual circumstances.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 13:07:55 pm »
Ok, yes I like to keep him on the upper end for formula than normal. I don't think coconut counts as dairy :) But it does have some good fats in it. We're going to do a dairy trial starting Saturday using greek yogurt so we'll see :). He's doing better eating solids just in the past week or 2 since he turned 1. He's gone through a major physical leap (started walking and is now just running around everywhere) and also mental leap. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 17:33:33 pm »
If it makes you feel happier I know a 2.5yo who is drinking 2 litres of milk per day  :o  if you get to that age or amount I'd really consider a dietary change but in your LOs circumstances I think you are doing brilliantly.  Honestly so many LO still have a bottle at this age.  I dropped DS's last 2 bottles at 12 and 13 months but I am in the minority for dropping so 'early'.

Vibes for the dairy trial, hope it works out.  I'm assuming you've had some input on what to try first.  My DS is fine with milk and cows milk but gets a reflux flare with any yoghurt so we generally avoid it.  These kids are all so different!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 19:53:25 pm »
Holy moly 2 liters that's a lot. I'm ok with the bottles. He likes them and it's not a struggle anymore. That's so strange about the yogurt i've heard lo's sometimes have an issue with straight milk so to give him something different that's not all milk? oy.

**Siobhan**

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 21:11:09 pm »
Mine isn't/wasn't MSPI though, prob makes a difference.  We also had a reflux reaction to pears which is usually considered one of the safest foods to trial.  I may just have an odd one here.
Have you introduced milk in other foods yet?  I know nothing about trialling milk tbh I just read someone else's thread one day and saw they'd started with milk cooked 'in' recipes before straight dairy.