Author Topic: Mouth stuffing/swallowing things whole?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline Frankys Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Mouth stuffing/swallowing things whole?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 22:49:24 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to update just in case anyone is interested or it helps anyone :)

We're still having mouth stuffing issues here but things possibly seem to have slightly improved, although the little guy is now often using his arm to push/keep food in his mouth which is annoying because he only likes wearing long sleeves!

There was a bit of a wait for an appointment but we have now seen a paediatrician and a speech language therapist and been given some tips from a dietician and occupational therapist. The conclusion was that there doesn't seem to be any physical reason for his eating style and that he appears to have some sensory issues which are contributing, and is maybe a bit 'immature' when it comes to feeding.

They said he is definitely on the more limited scale of foods he will eat but we are doing the right things and as he is growing well and developmentally doing really well we are basically to continue what we are doing and hope that he will figure things out through experience. We also got a few tips on toothbrushing which is good but have yet to have much luck there. The more I think about it the more the sensory thing makes sense when it comes to a lot of things throughout his life which is interesting.

I hope all the other mouth stuffers out there are doing ok? :)