Author Topic: 6.5 month old-long angry night wakings  (Read 1243 times)

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 05, 2013, 22:38:15 pm »
Ds2 is almost 7 months. He is touchy and spirited. The last few weeks have been very hard with him. We were dealing with a nursing strike that lasted a week, but now that nursing is getting back on track we still have sleep issues. He was never a great sleeper, but typically woke up to eat and then right back to sleep.

We are now having NW that are lasting 1-2 hours with no discernible reason. This is happening 1-3 times a night. He has no signs of illness or anything.

Typical easy is:

Wu: 6-7 often closer to 7
E: attempt to nurse around 7, a few ounces of fruit
S: 9 nap length varies anywhere from 45 minutes-1.5 hours + I can't figure out any reason why this varies.
E: 1030 or whenever he wakes up
E: a few ounces of fruit or veg
S: 1230/1 nap is usually 1-2 hours
E:3
E:6
BT: 6 (7 on the rare occasion he takes a third nap)

He self settles for all naps and bed times, except the random times when he just won't where shh pat will sometimes work or the swing if I'm just too tired. He seems to be having more trouble falling asleep in general right now. Pu/pd is really not an option for him, he can't handle it.

2 nights ago he woke up at 8 for a minute (assuming Ot ) and then slept straight through until 215 which never happens. He ate, but then could not settle until close to 4. He was crying the whole time pretty much off and on, and nothing we did helped, he eventually just fell asleep.

Last night he woke up Hungary at 945, ate, then cried until 1115, at which point he just put himself to sleep again. Holding him etc didn't really help. He then woke again at 345 and went right back to sleep after eating.

I have considered Ot, teething pain, developmental stuff as options, but DH and I are really at a loss here. Ds1 was low sleep needs so just talked for half the night, but this crying makes me think he wants to sleep but just can't. Wondering if anyone has any advice...I know this will pass but I hope it's sooner rather than later!

Offline Kirsten~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: 6.5 month old-long angry night wakings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:54 am »
Hi, I always preface my suggestions with "I am no expert" and there are plenty of experts here to help, but this is not all that different than what we went through on and off for months with my DD.

She is also touchy and spirited, and I found that she would act OT when she was UT and act UT when she was OT. I'm not kidding either. It drove me nuts trying to sort it out, but if you try to get her to sleep when she is not ready or interested, she will scream the house down. And we had those LONG NWs like you're talking about. Like you said, we would trying everything for hours, and nothing would settle her or make her happy. We ended up shortening her night by moving her BT back an hour. We did that until she was ready to go to one nap (around 13 months), and then we were able to get her back to a 12 hr night.

It may not be the best solution or what works for you, and I am sure some people cringe at me suggesting that, but that worked for us, and eventually got her STTN too.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 18:55:57 pm »
Hi, (((hugs))) for your struggles. :-* I'm thinking the same as Kirsten.  He's acting OT, but I do think he's likely UT, esp during the day, and that's why you're getting resistance at sleep times and inconsistent naps.  As he nears 7mo, the average A time is about 3hr, so I think if you start to gradually push your A times out to get him close to that he'll start to do longer, more consistent naps.  This should even the day out a bit, so the longest A time isn't at the end of the day and that should help the NWs.  He may only be able to last 2.5-3hr right away in the morning, but the second A time should probably be as close to 3hr as you can get it and then the last around 3hr again.  Does that sound doable?

BTW, I'm no expert either, just happy to try and help out! ;)

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 00:57:12 am »
I hear you both. I do think he may have been ut, but last night with a similar daytime schedule, he woke up twice to eat and right back to sleep-a great night in my book. So I just don't know. But I am trying to push out his A times. I am trying to keep him and ds1 both napping around 1 pm hehe-but that may not be realistic at the moment.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
Glad you had a good night!  I totally get trying to keep them napping at the same time.  Any chance you could push DS1's out a bit too?  My DD was almost 3 when I had DS and I just ended up making her nap line up with his and capped it where appropriate, so that they were both down at the same time for at least a bit.