Author Topic: 19.5 month day sleep/night sleep help please  (Read 908 times)

Offline sweetmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
19.5 month day sleep/night sleep help please
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:58:22 am »
hi,

Just having a few troubles with my 19.5 month son, he has been sick a bit with Croup and ear infections ( under a paed now),he is all healthy at the moment :) we decided to stop him using a dummy to go to sleep with during the day few days ago ( he doesn't use one to go to sleep with at night -we put them in his cot when we go to bed , we have always done this as he had sever silent reflux until 13 months), so I didn't think he really needed one to get to sleep with in the day) so he has been great at getting to sleep eg within 5 mins, but he is waking approx. 40 mins and then I hear crying, so I'm not sure if its because he doesn't have his dummy or because he is OT/UT etc.
his day today was/is:
wake 625
then sleep: today was 1215pm, he woke at 45 min, but I gave him a dummy and he went back to sleep ( so he must have been OT right?)
then normally bed 645
his day sleeps are always 1 hour 30 (max) as I have his older sister to drop at kindy.

yesterday:
woke 645am ( normal time)
then sleep at midday ( he woke 45 Mn's), I got him up
bed 615 pm slept till 625am today

I guess I need to know  roughly what other 20 month olds or A time should be? and is his waking in the middle of his day sleep because he needs the dummy or U/OT, hope that all makes sense?

thank you xx

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 19.5 month day sleep/night sleep help please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:07 am »
Hello,
If it's only been a few days since you stopped using the dummy for day sleep then perhaps he is short-napping because he can't resettle without it yet. I'd suggest persevering with same nap time for a few more days but if he wakes early try and resettle him without his dummy. Hopefully he will soon learn to resettle himself.
If he still short naps you could try increasing his A time by 15 mins say but tbh I don't think your A times look that bad.
HTH
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline sweetmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 23:52:39 pm »
hi,

thank you for your reply, sorry for my late one, we have bee away visiting the in-laws.

so, we have a 'rule' he doesn't go to sleep with his dummy-which is does great, always  asleep within 5 mins, however, he kept waking every 40 mins, obviously looking for his dummy, he was starting OT get super overtired, so I have just been putting it in his cot after he goes to sleep, I know! still a habit, but I kinda feel his sleep is more important at the moment....especially as his 'sleep time frame' is limited due to big sister at kindy drop off pick up times etc

tho we are still getting night waking, eg 3 nights ago he woke form 410 and I stood strong ad didn't give him a bottle, but it took ages to get him back to sleep, I just had to stand next to his cot and he finally did.
but he has been waking lots  and different time eg 10am, few cries, but went back to sleep himself, next night 2 am, went him and said 'cuddle your bunny and your dog AND CLOSE YOUR EYES' he knows and imitates closing his eye-we have been 'mantra-ing that during the day ;), last night we  woke at 330am, I went straight in and said cuddle your bunny and your dog and close your eyes and left the room, and he went back to sleep, but I;m not really sure why he is waking?!thank you

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 18:01:13 pm »
I think you are doing the right thing with the NWs. 

tricky with the naps though (do you only put the dummy back in his cot at nap time?) as I can understand you don't want OT and you want him to nap before leaving for kindy...  Maybe he would sleep better if you just bit the bullet and tried for a few days to resettle w/o the dummy?  If he doesn't resettle, then you can do EBT that evening to help catch up.  Might be worth a try?

Also, is there any teething going on at the moment?  canines?  that caused NWs for us.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old