Author Topic: 16 month old sleeping less and cranky  (Read 736 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
16 month old sleeping less and cranky
« on: June 09, 2013, 16:15:43 pm »
Could we be in the dreaded 18 month regression a little early?

DS has recently only been doing 10 hours at night, maybe 10.5 some days. That was common for him until he was like 13 months and then I would say 13-15 months he more typically did 11 hours at NT (sometimes a little less, sometimes closer to 12).

Here is our EASY as of hte last 2 weeks or so.

WU 5:50-6:10 AM
Nap 12:30 - 1:40/2:30 (if he is still asleep after 2 hours, I wake him so he won't go to bed too late)
BT 8:00 (lay down in crib around 7:30/45 and usually asleep by 8:15)

So sometimes not even 10 hours at night, he is LSN but I noticed him getting over 12 hours of NT + DT sleep (even better if closer to 13) that he was happier throughout the day. Not he sometimes doesn't even get 12 hours (yesterday 10.5 at night and 1 hour 15 min nap) and he breaks down a lot.

He is especially crabby from like 9-10 AM. We have been on 1 nap since 13 months. He was fighting at least 1 of the 2 naps a day for months before that so I don't thik I jumped the gun too soon.

He is always munching on his fingers and is stuffy a lot so I am sure teething is playing into this but it's pretty constant.

Any ideas of what I can try to help him get more rest and be less crabby?

Our EASY prior to the last 2 weeks was like this

WU 6:30-7
Nap 12:20-1:30/2:20 (usually just about an hour and a half i think most days, sometimes just an hour and sometimes 2 hours)
BT 7:30-8

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 16 month old sleeping less and cranky
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 16:19:20 pm »
I also wanted to add we have a fan for noise in his room that has always worked well so I don't think birds or other noises are waking him. Also, it doesn't get light here until after the time he is waking up, so I also don't think the sun is to blame.

It has just come at a rough time as I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been hardly sleeping and nauseous and throwing up during the day. I know we will make it through...

Offline jenn1975

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 19:29:15 pm »
Our son is a bit older, 21 months, but what has helped him, (he's been doing the same thing), is putting him down a bit earlier for both the nap and BT.

I think it's just a bit of trial and error, trying a few new things, to see what will work for your LO.  Some will respond better to a later nap, later BT, but some will do better if you pull it back a bit earlier.

At 21 months he's doing
WU 6:15-6:30
Nap 12:10-12:30 asleep (for an hour to 1.5 hrs, rarely 2)
BT 7-7:30 (asleep at this time)

We actually were putting him down later for both nap and BT and then I decided to go back to earlier times and it has helped!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 23:17:10 pm »
Hi there. ((((hugs))) for dealing with this while you are PG, that is not easy. I agree with Jenn. I think your day is too long, I'd try an earlier npa and earlier bed and see if that helps.