Author Topic: BF or breakfast? Dinner going the same way too...  (Read 2018 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
BF or breakfast? Dinner going the same way too...
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:45:33 am »
Audrey basically just doesn't eat any breakfast. Nothing at all. Maybe a couple of raisins or one slice of banana. Won't even get in her highchair. She still BFs first thing in the morning. It will be a fight to drop the BF but I guess I should? So she'll eat something for breakfast?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 18:57:19 pm by anna* »

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: BF or breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:44 am »
Will she eat if breakfast is a bit later, maybe after a bit of running around? F had a good morning bf right up until we stopped at 2, but we would almost always walk to the market after that so she'd have a good 30 mins of exercise and then a bit more playing at home while I got breakfast ready. If we were ever going out so skipped the market walk and had breakfast earlier, she would hardly eat anything.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:17 am »
Can you stretch breakfast later? Hamish has a BF around 6.30 and then breakfast at about 8.30 or 9..

Or drop the feed... depends what's easier for you to manage i would say..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:57 am »
She really doesn't get the chance for a later breakfast - some days we can but most days we have to get ready and out of the house, then straight to playgroup. It's OK at the weekend - but then she has lunch at 11.30 so if we're not doing breakfast til 9, she's not hungry for lunch. She'll usually have a bit of fruit mid-morning, it just doesn't seem like much. Specially as she quite often turns her nose up at dinner, too. Still, she's not exactly fading away...

Offline anna*

• My two
Re: BF or breakfast? Dinner going the same way too...
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 18:59:14 pm »
Thought I'd just add on here because as of today she's skipped about 4 out of 7 evening meals too. It's not a picky-eating phase, she doesn't reject what's on offer because she doesn't even come to the table. Won't sit in her chair, won't sit on someone elses lap, just wonders around fussing and eventually crying. What is this? Tonight DH gave her a small bottle of (cows) milk and took her for an early bath, but she didn't seem tired in the least until we told her it was time to eat...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 20:13:52 pm by anna* »

Offline cnaz

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Mommy to three beautiful girls!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 19:08:55 pm »
I would say if she is not losing weight, then I wouldn't be too concerned unless she seems hungry but won't eat. Toddlers are very good at knowing when they are hungry, and stopping eating when they are no longer. They often do not eat on a time schedule like we adults do. They eat when they are hungry. My girls have done this also. I found that if you are concerned if she is getting enough, make note of what she is eating in a week, rather then looking at day by day. Many toddlers do not eat what they need in a day, but there week will balance out. This is okay. Leave healthy snacks for her around the house if her week isn't balancing out as she may pick here and there. It will eventually change around and she will join at the table eventually. Right now she is a busy toddler probably too concerned with playing and learning then eating :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 20:12:55 pm »
E has been like this recently too and I have been wondering bout how to drop the morning bottle when she's taking a full feed and sometimes we have a 45 min drive to my parents for breakfast before I go to work.

Could it be teeth? I recall you said A didn't yet have her canines. E has been very off with these nasty pointies on their way.
~ Naomi ~

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 20:14:16 pm »
Yeh she's definitely not losing weight... guess I should leave her to it.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 23:48:45 pm »
Yeah, I know toddlers are notoriously weird eaters and I was fine with dd skipping a meal here and there, but it's hard to stay relaxed about it when it's consistently more than one meal a day.  She went through a phase about a month ago of pretty much refusing breakfast and lunch, and it really bothered me that she was basically going the whole day on nothing and only eating dinner.  Plus it was annoying preparing all those meals that were barely glanced at! There was nothing I could do about it though, she just wasn't interested.  But it's really true, they know what they need and won't starve.  It didn't seem to affect her weight, sleep, energy, or anything else and one day it just picked up again. 
A will be fine, it's much more of an issue for us than for them! 
Emma

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:07 am »
i wouldn't worry about it for now!
heather