Author Topic: Night feed question for 8.5 month old  (Read 1687 times)

Offline K-JDA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Night feed question for 8.5 month old
« on: June 10, 2013, 14:34:00 pm »
Hi

DS is 8.5 mo and I have recently dropped to 3 bottles during the day as I was either getting refusal or only 1 or 2 oz from either 11.30 or 4 PM bottle or if 4pm bottle was good then refusal of bedtime bottle. I still do a NF of 3/4 oz (I offer a 6oz bottle). Our EAS is now like this:

WU 6.15
E 7am 6oz, 8.15 porridge/weetabix with 3oz milk
S 9.45-11.15
E 11.30 yoghurt, 12.30 solids, 2.15 6oz bottle
S 2.45-4.15
E 4.45 solids, 6.45 bottle
S 7.15
NF - 3/4 oz between 3.30-5

He has never had huge amounts of milk - he has only ever maxed out on 26/27 oz during a growth spurt. He is a small baby also - currently 18llbs.

Solids are going ok but have been a bit hit and miss recently due to teething. He is also wanting to start to feed himself so not always sure how much goes down at times!

Am keen to see if we can drop the NF as go back to work soon but am scared it will mean we start our day! Should I just give it a go and see what happens? I did stop the NF at 5 months but we started to get EWs as part of 3-2 nap transition and this feed has ended up getting re-established.

Is the best method to gradually reduce the volume every few days or reduce the formula to water ratio? If he still wakes once the volume reduced do I then attempt to resettle using other means or do I assume hunger and continue to feed?

If it doesn't work then how long can I reasonably expect a NF to carry on?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Night feed question for 8.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:28 am »
So long as he is getting a good variety during the day, I would attempt to drop the NF.. he is getting plenty of formula during the day (don't forget that the yogurt counts as well!).  Personally, I am more a fan of dropping ounces as some babies will just want the full feeling as opposed to the actual calories.

Given he only takes a few ounces now.. I would offer 3 ozs for a few nights, then drop the 2 ozs for a few nights.. then attempt to resettle without a feed.  If he refuses to go back to sleep for more than 20-30 mins before waking again - assume hunger and keep the feed for now.

Most babies will drop the nightfeed around this age (but some keep a small one closer to a year of age).

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Night feed question for 8.5 month old
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:45 am »
Thanks. Will give it a go.