Author Topic: 6 months old still waking to feed  (Read 1121 times)

Offline jeika82

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 12, 2013, 15:56:08 pm »
Hello, I need your help again :)

My son is now 6 months old and still takes a dreamfeed at 11pm and then wakes up between 3:30 and 4am to feed.
I hear him other times going in and out of sleep cycles and he soothes himself back to sleep but when we wakes at 4am I know he's asking for milk because he sounds FULLY AWAKE.
He then drinks 8-9oz and goes back to sleep till the morning. Should I drop his night feed or does he still need it?

He started solids when he was 4m/o and he has 3 good meals plus 3-4 bottles during the day plus dreamfeed and night feed... At breakfast he doesn't eat a lot... just 3 or 4 oz and some fruit.

He's a big/long baby and up until 3 weeks ago he was eating twice at night; he dropped one feed by himself. He's basically giving me mixed signals... I don't know whether he's a very hungry baby or if he's just used to have milk at night!

Here's his routine, by the way he doesn't have a paci... never wanted it!

7:30am wakes
8am feeds  a little milk and some fruit and cereal
10am naps
Noon wakes and feeds meat and veg and pudding
2pm naps
4.30pm wakes and has some milk
6.30pm pasta and pudding
7-7.15pm milk and bedtime
11pm dream feed
3-4am night feed

Many thanks for your help :)

Jessica

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 6 months old still waking to feed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:42 am »
Hi there!

Oh, it's soo tricky to know whether or not they "need" a feed in the MOTN.  Since he's downing 8-9 oz in the MOTN, I would keep this feed for the time being.  But I would also consider making some adjustments to your routine which may help to get the calories in during the day so *hopefully* he won't need the night feed and will drop it on his own  ;).

At this age, milk / formula should be the mainstay of their nutrition.  I would feed milk or formula at a separate feeding than solids. The milk should be the E in the EASY whereas solids would actually be an activity.  So, give milk at roughly 4 hr intervals (depending on length of naps) and then offer solids roughly 1 hr later.  This way, he will more likely take full milk feeds while also getting exposure to a variety of solid foods.  At 6 months, he should be having 4 milk feeds during the day.  how does that sound?