Author Topic: 10 month old teething and milestones or something I can change?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline C-Shaw

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My LO is 10 months old and is a ‘textbook baby’ and has always slept well for daytime naps but less reliably in the evenings.

Recently (for about a month) he’s been going through a period of early night-wakings between 7 and 10.30pm, but always settles quickly with a hand on his chest.  He regularly wakes at 10.30-11.00 and we then bedshare until the morning. He sometimes wakes as we are getting into bed othertimes he wakes himself.  The main problem is night-wakings at 2am and/or 3.30am, which last a long time.  At these waking he is alert and ready to play (poke, prod and pull hair! ) and gets frustrated / whiney when he doesn’t get the attention.

We’ve followed BW principles successfully in terms of the EASY routine and self settling sleep techniques.  Bed sharing started in a particular wakeful phase around 6months and it felt the natural and right choice for our family, so we continued.  Bed sharing has been successful at providing us all with additional sleep on the whole, with the odd night of disruption, and my LO has always settled quickly.  He settles himself to sleep in his cot during the day and at bedtime with no problems. He doesn’t have a dummy or lovie, but does suck his fingers when tired.

I should add that he is currently teething (although doesn’t seem in lots of pain at the night-wakings), is desperate to crawl and has recently started going to a childminders three days a week (although he hasn’t shown any signs of being upset by this and continues to follow his daytime routine and sleep and eat well).

I would love some advice on whether I should put this night-waking down to milestones and teething or whether there-may something I could tweak to help him and us get some additional sleep!  Any help would be amazing and very gratefully appreciated.

Here’s our EASY routine

W 6.30am
E 7am  Formula (6-7oz)

E 8am  Breakfast

S 9.30am  (1 – 1.5 hrs)

E 12 noon  Lunch

E 1pm  Formula (5 oz)

S 2pm  (1 - 1.15hrs)

E 5pm  Tea

6.15pm  Bath,

E6.45-7pm  Formula (6-7oz) asleep by 7pm..

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 10 month old teething and milestones or something I can change?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 18:23:50 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW! :)

It would best to read through this first, as he's definitely in the right age group for it and could use a little routine tweak.  From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older). If I were you, I'd try pushing the morning nap out to 10am, letting him sleep 1.5-2hr, doing the pm nap about 3.5hr later and capping it to 45min-1hr to keep the day around 12-13hr.  So, it would look something like this...

Wake 6:30am
Nap 1 10am-11:30/12pm
Nap 2 3/3:30-4/4:30pm
BT 7/7:30pm

I do also wonder if the teething might be causing him enough discomfort to keep him from going back to sleep in the MOTN, even though he's not totally upset by it (which makes sense, as he's already in bed with you).  I'd try giving meds for a few nights to see if that helps.  You could give them to him when you bring him to bed with you, as they should last through that 2/3 am time frame then.

The other thing to note is that he just may be getting old enough to where bed sharing is more stimulating than helpful for him.  It likely depends in his personality and I know it can be successful for people into the toddler years, but if he's an independent sleeper during the day and at BT, there may not really be a need to have him in bed with you and you all may sleep better.  But, that depends on him and you and what you prefer.

It is tough, because he's got a lot going on developmentally and with now being at a childminders', which can definitely cause disruptions. But, hopefully this gives you some things to think about and try.  Let me know what you think.

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 21:52:06 pm »
Thank you so much for replying. It is very helpful having extra suggestions. Everything you say makes sense and I'll start by making changes to his nap times and see what affect that has. Now why didn't I think about giving the meds at bedtime! His top three teeth have popped up over the last fortnight (fourth on its way) so perhaps it's affecting him more than I give credit. Will have a think about bed sharing too. Will let you know how we get on.

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
Wow, that's a lot of teeth in a row!  My guess is they have something to do with it.  Sounds like you've got a good plan!  Do let us know how you get on. :)

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 15:01:34 pm »
Please could I trouble you for some further advice?

Since my last post there have been a few changes. My LO is now crawling and pulling himself up, and has one more tooth and another almost through. We've put him back in his cot in his own room as agree bed sharing was too stimulating for him. We altered the routine to your suggestion and its taken a bit of time but the childminder more or less keeps to our naptime requests. We seem to have stopped the wakings between 7.30-10.30pm which is fantastic but he still wakes through the night, generally around at 2.30-3am and sometimes around 5am. When he wakes he's often sat in his cot or is crying because he's fallen backwards. I go back in and lay him down four-ish times and hold my hand on his chest before he settles back to sleep.

He's currently 47 wks and our current EASY is:

6.30 am wake (or this is when we get up if he's been awake for a while)
E 7 am - 7oz milk
Breakfast at 8.15
S 10am at home, generally 10.15 at the childminders. Usually 1.5 hours
E 12 lunch
E 1pm 5 oz milk
S 3-4, occasionally He's slept til 4.30
6.30-6.45 bath, 7oz milk and sleeping between 7-7.30

His rm feels quite warm at 24 degrees these past few days but cools by the middle of the night and he has been a bit unsettled at the childminders and had a bought of nappy rash for a few days. I do give teething gel and calpol when he wakes if he seems in pain.

Please can you suggest anything further? Or do I just get on with it and hope these dreaded nightwakings will pass!

Thanks from a tired mummy!

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 13:47:37 pm »
It sounds to me like the teeth are still bothering him a bit, esp as he has had some nappy rash.  It also sounds like he may be having some developmental disruptions in the MOTN, when you find him sitting up or fallen over.  Unfortunately, both of these things you just need to ride out without creating any props.  So, go to him when he needs you and help him get back to sleep, but try not to 'do it' for him. 

The routine looks good to me.  If, after the teething and developmental issues are passed he's still waking, you might need to push that morning nap out a bit more and cut the pm one to 45min as he nears 1yr.  Those early morning wakings that take a bit of time to go back to sleep can be an indicator iof UT as well.

HTH!

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:04 am »
Thank you so much for your reply. He actually slept through the night last night. Woohoo! He did go to bed very late as we were driving to my parents and he didn't sleep for the whole journey like normal. Do you think that is an indicator that he is UT? He woke once in the night and was sat up in his cot (we share a room when visiting) but was able to lay down and put himself back to sleep.

If you think UT may the reason for early waking what time would you push the morning nap back to? I'm guessing I'd have to try it for a week or so before judging whether it was working. Is that right?

Thanks so much for your help, again.

Offline katie80

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 14:02:03 pm »
Yay for STTN! :) He sure could be UT still. I would push the morning nap out to 4hr A (so 10:30-12) and then do a 45min nap somewhere around 3:30/4, with BT at 7/7:30. And yes, you'd want to give it a week or so to see if it's working. You will gradually cut the pm nap to 30min, then maybe even 15-20 before making the final push to one nap. It can take a few months still to get there.

HTH!

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 20:24:51 pm »
Thanks for this. I'll see how we get on this week and once tooth number 8 is fully through I'll see if it's time to push that nap back a bit more.

Thanks again.

Offline katie80

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 18:34:34 pm »
Keep me posted!  Hopefully, you'll get a little break in teething now too! :)

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:23:53 am »
Me again! Thanks so much for your help so far. My LO has been reliably STTN, for the past few weeks, save a week or so of upset due to chicken pox.we've also been on holiday so a little out of routine too.  We are now over that but we have EW! It's been 5 am for the last wk. is this a sign of under tired? To be honest I've been struggling with childcare to get stick to nap times so I've been concentrating on asking them to do 10 am for first nap (usually 1-1.5 hrs) and second nap 3.5 hours after. Neither me or childcare have been consistently capping the afternoon nap either. Some days childcare don't manage 3.5 hours activity time before the second nap, it's more like 2.5 hour. On the is side he's just about settled there. Please can you advise the best way forward, I don't really know where to go because if the 5 am wakings, I have to be assertive with naptimes at nursery and don't think my LO would last to 10.30 after that. Although on those days he does from 5 to 9.45 okay.

My LO is almost 1 (in a wk) and our current early waking EASY goes like this

5am wake
5.30am milk
7.30 breakfast
Nap 9.45 or 10 until 11.15-11.30 nap
12 lunch
Nap 2.00 or 3.00 for 1 or 1.5 hours when at nursery
      3.30 or 4 when at home for an hour

5 tea
Bath and bed and asleep by 7 or 7.30

The other day he had a 2.40 morning nap (10.00-12.40) and was ok with that for the rest of the day with an early bedtime.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Offline katie80

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 13:18:00 pm »
Hi there, yes I think he's getting too much daytime sleep and not needing to sleep past 5am.  It really tough that daycare isn't willing to follow your instructions, because unless you start cutting back one of the naps, I don't think it's going to get better. 

To proceed, you either need to cut the pm nap and bring BT forward, or if it's easier for daycare, they can cut the morning nap and maybe put him down for a long pm nap along with the other toddlers.  I think the two options would look like this...

Wake 5am
Nap 10-11:30am
Nap 3-3:30/45pm
BT 6/6:30pm

Wake 5am
Nap 9-9:45am
Nap 12:45-2:45
BT 6:30pm

Hopefully, after a few days his morning wake up will become later and then you can start pushing to one nap.

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 15:52:38 pm »
Thank you. You are fantastic as always. The two options are helpful. I plan to discuss with childcare to see what is most workable for them and start tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Offline katie80

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 15:55:39 pm »
Good luck, hon... keep us posted. :)

Offline C-Shaw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:14 am »
So a little up-date. It's been working! We've done the second option with a 45 min nap in the morning. And a longer one at 12.45. He's been waking at 6.30 (apart from the last two days where it's been 6.10). He doesn't always manage two hours in the afternoon. Childcare have been sticking to nap times and he generally does 12.45- 2.00. The last few days seems like he's been teething and has cried in the night, but hasn't properly woken and settled back to sleep with rubbing his back.

So before we start getting early wake up times again I just wondered what you think the next move should be? Do I cut that morning nap shorter by 10 mins until its gone? Do i give each new nap time a week or so to settle?

Thank you so much, it's been nice to have a sleeping baby overnight for a few weeks!!!!