Author Topic: Again...rejection of the spoon  (Read 2227 times)

Offline yasminesakr85

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • very grathful for BW Forum
« on: June 25, 2013, 13:41:12 pm »
it came back again...after i thought this issue has gone (a month ago) and he started eating from the spoon again ,he is now 10 and half months and he is rejecting the spoon again..it had been close to 2 weeks now and he didnt eat anything with the spoon..should i try everyday to introduce it or should i leave it now for a week or too and try later? i cant feed him cereal or yogurt ..and of course he eats less now ,he is even not that intersted in breastfeeding like he used to.even at morning he takes a sip then of for playing...what is going on?? and to feed him  it had to be on the go while we are eating..he gets bored so quickley now from his high chair..i know i shouldnt force him to eat but am worried..any advice?

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Again...rejection of the spoon
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:28 am »
My dd rejected the spoon from me around 7 months because she wanted to do it herself, but got so frustrated with not having the control to be able to get decent amounts.  My MIL recommended these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Baby-Nursers-Green-Product/dp/B0012QWYTQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Anything that's puréed can go in them as long as it's not too lumpy.  They might not be your thing since the baby is effectively sucking their food like a bottle rather than learning to eat, but I made sure I still gave dd plenty of practice with cutlery and finger food too so she wasn't just slurping everything.  But on those occasions when she was getting annoyed, or I just didn't want to deal with the mess for a meal, these are great!  I actually still use them for snacks in the car because they are mess free.  They fit in the cup holders of the car seat and I can give dd yoghurt, applesauce or whatever without it getting everywhere, and no sticky fingers!  Hth
Emma

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 18:52:21 pm »
any evidence of teething because food and milk intake can drop substantially if they are in discomfort. If you suspect teething you could try meds 20 mins before a meal to see if it helps. Or relax about the food and medicate before sleep if you need the meds for then.  Usually they eat the fridge clean once the bout of teething has passed.

Otherwise, I would just load the spoon and put it down on his tray and provide finger foods. At 10.5 months you really need to move towards family meals and solid food rather than puree or mashed.  Even yoghurt can be eaten with fingers and by the handful and he may enjoy the experience, or he may accept the spoon if you load and let him take it.  Don't forget 6 weeks from now solids becomes the primary food, it is not too early to give him family meals right now. he might have more interest to be eating what he sees everyone else eating rather than something different.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 20:09:33 pm »
Just wanted to say my LO is the same age as yours as we are going through exactly the same, it has been 10 days now and she has barely eaten anything. I have tried finger foods and spoon fed but she just not having it. I'm hoping its just a phase since yours is doing the same x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 20:23:44 pm »
There's a lot of spoon rejection threads around 10 months, or at least that's how it appears to me even though I never experienced it because I never fed my LO.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 19:31:44 pm »
The strangest thing happened. Again today my LO didn't eat all day, at dinner time i sat her in her high chair at the table and i sat with her. I put her food on the table and i had a small plate of the same as what she had. She still wouldn't touch it, just flung some on the floor. So i was getting fed up and went to clean up and do the dishes and she started eating it, if i came over she stopped but if i just left her alone and kept glancing over to check in her she would eat. So confused, should i stop eating with her, don't really know what is going on but at least she ate  ???

Might be worth a shot with your LO yasminesakr85

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline yasminesakr85

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • very grathful for BW Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:05 am »
now....he has to be distracted to eat....if i put him into his high chair for a feeding session he wont,he will get bored quickly... its better that i leave him crawl or play and feed him...i know its a bad habit....but what should i do????

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 14:06:03 pm »
Is there any teething at the moment?