Author Topic: nw needing to be repositioned  (Read 1593 times)

Offline tfuentes00

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
nw needing to be repositioned
« on: June 15, 2013, 19:42:21 pm »
I'm not sure if this is in the correct spot so feel free to move if needed.

My dd is 14 weeks old and has been the last couple of nights waking around 3-4 and trying to self soothe sucking her fingers and moving her head side to side.  A couple of mornings ago I for some reason, I think to try and shh pat moved her to her side and she fell right to sleep without even shh pat.  Now a couple of nights have went by and she's still waking somewhere around that same time and I just go in and move her on her side and she quickly goes back to sleep, almost like she's tired of her back.  My question is, will this become a prop or is it ok to move her since before long shell be rolling over on her own.  She never really cries out, its just the sucking of her fingers and side to side moving keeps me up anticipating she is going to wake anyways, I always give her 30 min to an hour before I go in to try and give her the opportunity to resettle.  Should I just wait it out next time until she cries out?
Tina

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
Re: nw needing to be repositioned
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 17:49:00 pm »
Yes, as hard as it is, I would try to wait until she is actually crying for you, i.e. needs you.  If she doesn't, it is much more likely to become a prop.  Have you gone through the other reasons she could be waking that time at night?  Hunger, needing more A time during the day, hot/cold, developmental, etc?

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 18:53:50 pm »
I don't think its hunger as she goes right to sleep when I prop her on her side.  She's doing about 1 1/2 hrs to 1 hr 45 min.  I think that's right for her age I also go on her signs when she starts yawning and shell sleep usually about 2 hrs each nap with sometimes I have to go in and resettle.  Does it seem based on that it may be a time?  She seems to like to be toasty but I don't like to warm her too much at night so it could possibly be cold???? But I don't have to do anything but turn her on her side and walk out and she's right back to sleep???? ill try and let her settle herself and not intervene until she cries and see how it goes.  Sometimes it'll go on an hour of just trying to resettle but not really crying is that ok amount of time to resettle?
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:19:45 am »
It is a long time and obviously frustrating as you're probably awake most of it too.  It may just be developmental, if there are no other reasons for it, and those you just have to ride out.  Her A time sounds right and yes, it's probably not hunger if she goes right back to sleep.  Do you think the act of turning her to her side lets out any trapped gas?  Do you do a DF?  Is there a NF any time before then?  Are you getting a burp out of her at those?

I guess it's up to you what you want to do.  Since you've done the side thing for a few nights, I'd let her go on her own for a few nights, and if it doesn't gt any better after a week or so, go back to just helping her to her side.  She should be able to get there herself within the next couple months, so then it won't be a worry.  You just don't want to end up with her waking several times a night needing to be put on her side. :-\

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:09 am »
Yes, I have a video monitor so I watch her the whole time just knowing she's going to cry out ykwim.  I do not do a df and she has no other nws .  She is real hard to burp for her last feed, but gas has never seemed to bother her, she usually passes it from her bottom if she doesnt burp.  My son had issues where he'd draw his legs up a.d cry and you could tell it was painful but she doesn't do any of that, and has been gassy from day one, so not real sure of the gas????  I'm gonna see what happens tonight,  I took the sleep positioner out of the crib to see if it makes a difference, maybe she'll be able to.wiggle to get comfy not need  me but I'll wait until she gets fussy this time.  I was thinking the same thing about her waking several times for it.
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 19:22:51 pm »
Wow, no NFs, that's pretty great!  Just know that one could come back for a bit during a GS around 3/4mo.  It sounds like you have a good plan, let me know how it goes! :)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 19:53:03 pm »
Yea she was down to one for a while and when I moved her to a good 4 easy and she started napping better she doesn't wake for nf.  She wakes some but very easy resettle when she does and will sleep for a long period so I don't think she wakes for hunger, if it was hunger shed wake more and not be easy to resettle right?  Sometimes I wonder but she's so easy to resettle and when she wakes at 730-745 she's not screaming like she's hungry bc she has to wait a couple of mins for me to make the bottle and I usually give her 1/2 oz more thinking shell be starving but sometimes will leave a whole oz.  I've been waiting for a gs thinking shed have one around 3 mths but I haven't noticed her draining her bottles,  is there on at 3 and 4 mths or somewhere inbetween? 

So last night I took out the sleep positioned and she did ok.  She was really ot and os I'm sure for being out for Father's Day as she doesn't sleep well away from home.  She woke around 1 but never opened her eyes just squirmed and tried resettling herself.  And tbh I turned the monitor volume down, I usually keep it as loud as it goes, so I couldn't hear her resettling but could hear if she cried and apparently she never did bc I went back to sleep.  Then she woke at 5 and both arms were out of her sack and flying everywhere and she was trying to reset,le but ended up fussing and starting to cry out so I went in and put her arms back in and put the positioner in and propped her on her side and she went right to sleep.  I'm sure I woke her while putting her arms in and putting the positioner in but I didn't have to pat or anything.  If it was hunger then would she have went off so quick?  I'm so unsure about the hunger thing and want to make sure she's not but I keep thinking shell let me know if she is, as she won't be so easy to resettle.  I do kind of cluster feed before bed so I guess that helps.  Sorry it's so long :-\
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 20:20:05 pm »
It sounds like you're doing everything just fine, honestly.  Yes, I do think she would wake again if she were really hungry.  I was thinking it could be hunger because she's taking so long to settle, but if she's not draining the morning bottle and gets a cluster feed, it sounds like you're on top of her feeds.  I just always want to mention it, because it's a possibility to sleep through this young and then start waking again for a feed.

Well done on turning down the volume and letting her get herself back to sleep! Hopefully, after a few more nights on her own she'll start sleeping through that wake again.  Keep me posted. :)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 20:31:29 pm »
I sure will thanks so much for your help!
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:55:05 am »
 :) :-*

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 02:36:59 am »
So she rolled from her belly to back today . I helped first but then she did several times after, could this have maybe caused it?  Maybe its developmental??
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 18:58:39 pm »
It sure could be. Give lots and lots of practice during A time and see if it makes a difference once mastered (but of course, then it will be something else :P).

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 19:11:17 pm »
Of course isn't that the way it works :P. Thanks for your help!  I've been trying to make sure and give her tummy time every day now as I wasn't good about it before;)
Tina

Offline katie80

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 19:49:01 pm »
So hard to remember all that with the second, isn't it? ;)

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 21:03:27 pm »
Yes especially since ds is right at 5 years older then dd its like starting over.
Tina