Author Topic: Soybean oil is an allergen?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline mianita

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 12, 2013, 20:53:05 pm »
Hello, I was looking thought the FAQ and couldn't find the soybean oil in the lists of potential allergens... I suspect my DD2 has a MSPI and want to make sure about this ingredient. It is a common ingredient in hummus (which I loooove) and don't know if I should avoid it all together with soy protein.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Soybean oil is an allergen?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 21:02:48 pm »
There are lots of people that have a soy allergy/intollerance that are fine with soy oil as it does not contain the protein, however it is possible to still react to the oil it just depends on the individual and how sensitive they are.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Soybean oil is an allergen?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:24:02 am »
I agree with what Kelly said. Every LO is different when it comes to soy/soybean oil. Some can tolerate it and some can't. It is taken from the soy bean, not just a "straight" soy bean so it isn't the full protein and therefore why some can/some can't. I know that my LO can't tolerate it (which is hard as I swear it is in everything!).

On the hummus note, look at the various brands out there. I buy a brand from Costco that is made with canola oil and DS2 absolutely loves it :)
-Nadia