Author Topic: dairy free for 1 month  (Read 4549 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
dairy free for 1 month
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:29:12 am »
we had our hospital follow up yday for Henry's constipation issues. Things have improved a lot but he is still having accidents, smaller ones and not as frequent but still there. The Dr has asked us to go dairy free for 4 weeks. I am going shopping for foods tomorrow so could do with some advice about the following.

Cheese - what do you buy? This is the one food I have struggled to find (we have been partially dairy free for a year)

Fats - how do you get good fats into them?

Ideally I want to avoid soya as much as I can....I need to find an alternative for ice cream and chocolate so he can have the odd treat. Cheese is the biggie though.

Anything else I should know when following a dairy free diet - feels a bit daunting to cut it out completely.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: dairy free for 1 month
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
I have not found dairy free cheese that does not contain soy. The other thing is that the dairy free cheese's that are available taste nothing like regular cheese. We just don't use cheese substitutes as the ones we have tried just don't taste good.

This is a link to the chocolate we use http://www.kinnerton.com/Products/AllergenFree/DairyEggGlutenNutFreeBar.aspx
It does contain soya lecithin but much less than most dairy free chocolate.

Here is a link to a dairy and soy free ice cream on goodness direct. I don't know if it is available in the shops though.
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/OSD-Ice_Cream__Non_Dairy_.html

There is an ice cream called swedish glacier that is available in supermarkets but that is soy based. We have bought this before as James only has ice cream occasionally so it was not too  much of an issue. I think I will look into the other ice cream though.

As as far as fats go we have always been advised by James's dietician to do things like leaving the skin on chicken and giving him the fattier cuts of meat. She also advised to use olive oil and to give him things like avocado.

What kind of foods does your lo like? We make all our meals from scratch and think it is much easier this way as so many processed foods contain milk. We also avoid egg and nuts which obviously would limit choices of ready prepared meals even more.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:20 am »
When DD was dairy-free we found this cheese.  It's really tasty and melts well - great for a pizza or grilled cheese.  It's also soy free.

http://www.daiyafoods.com/our-products/cheddar

Looking at their website, looks like they have tons of products.

For fats - avocado, oils, nuts.

For treats, love the SoDelicious brand:

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products

HTH and good luck!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
I just avoided cheese altogether when I was dairy free. Olly has the soy cheese occasionally but then he doesn't know any different.

If you are avoiding soy too then many creamy things will have to be avoided! Loads of other options though. Make or buy some nice ice lollies, you could freeze some smoothie as ice lollies if he really wanted something similar to ice cream. I also buy those pots of raspberries in jelly for Olly. I love them too!

Olly has loads of avocado but otherwise olive oil and of course coconut oil is raved about on this forum. Actually there must be a recipe to make ice cream from coconut milk online somewhere!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:07 pm »
For fats, coconut oil  ;D You can cook in it and add it to just about everything!

For chocolate: http://www.moofreechocolates.com/  Dairy and soya free AND really really yummy  :D :D

For cheese - never found anything that's dairy and soya free that's any good yet  :(

CoYo are about to bring out a frozen desert, so that's an option, as is their yoghurt obviously  ;) Not tried it yet as I haven't found a local stockist.

Good luck with your shopping and do check out the health food stores as well  :)

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
E and I are soy and dairy free.  For 'ice cream' I freeze peeled chunks of banana, and then whizz them up in a blender until they are ice cream consistency.  I sometimes add some cocoa powder (quite a bit can make it nice and chocolatey) or peanut butter or strawberries.  Depending on your blender it might be better to whizz it up, then refreeze it for a little while again so that the texture is more similar to ice cream. 

I do love cheese, and have struggled with lunches sometimes as cheese is such an easy go-to food.  But I find that I have had to just eat a lot more eggs and cooked meat instead.  You can buy oat cream to make recipes creamy if you need that. 

We just have dark chocolate, but that is easier as E has never known the delights of Dairy Milk  :P.  Ben wouldn't go for it so not sure if H would  :-\.  Bourbon biscuits are dairy free, as are ginger biscuits so thats an easy treat if we are out and about.  Rice crackers with dark chocolate from Waitrose are nice too. 

We have started using Ready Brek quite a lot as it is fortified with calcium and vit d.  I add it to her normal porridge, but also add it to things like crumble (made with Pure margerine), or baking or pancakes to replace some of the flour. 

x

Claire x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 13:18:41 pm »
thanks, that is all really helpful. The cheese is a big issue for Henry as we use it quite a bit on cooking so will have to investigate. My other concern is nursery where there might be the odd cake/biscuit etc. Henry understands so will just have to take in his own and ask the staff to make sure he does not eat anything else.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 13:38:58 pm »
For ice-cream, I make fruit ice-cream/sorbets using coconut cream. Our favourite: mango and ginger. Roughly chop 4-5 dates, add a little grated fresh ginger (or can use half tsp ground ginger), cover with about 200mls coconut cream, heat to just under boiling and soak for 5 mins. Blend with flesh of one large mango. Freeze. Re-blend half-way through freezing for a better consistency. I completely made this up but it's pretty good, and also works well with banana (in which case I add cinnamon rather than ginger) if you don't have cheap mangoes ;D Yummy and good fats together.

There are heaps of dairy-free baking recipes online, and you can always substitute another sort of milk in baking as well (oat, coconut), usually without it making an obvious difference to the taste.

Oh, and I have made my own coconut yoghurt a few times, and it turned out ok, but much thinner than when I make cow's milk yoghurt. None of the thickening tips that I've found online ever really got it close to the "right" consistency, I felt - I just had to accept that it was different. F still liked it though.

*Nuala*

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 18:23:22 pm »
Unfortunately daiya products don't seem to be available in the UK unless there is a special dietary web company that stocks them.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 19:05:29 pm »
Manchego was my go-to cheese for 2 years when I was dairy free - it doesn't taste like cheddar but it does taste like cheese! Roquefort, feta and halloumi are all sheep cheeses as well, although you have to check quite carefully that they are not blended with cows milk. For cooking I use goats cheese as it is not quite so overpowering a flavour in cooking.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 19:15:43 pm »
ah ok, so it is ok to use sheeps cheese. Is dairy only considered cow then?

Offline sueyloo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 19:25:34 pm »
Coconut milk and oil is definitely a great dairy alternative. I've used coconut milk in all my dairy recipes with excellent results. There's a really good website http://www.godairyfree.org/ that gives really good recipes. Also found a coconut icecream recipe online. Just google it. I didn't bother looking for a cheese alternative but you can also make cheese from coconut milk (the godairyfree website has a recipe for that too).

It's a challenge being dairy free because there's dairy in practically every store bought food but I learnt so much from it.

Best of luck.

Offline sueyloo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 19:26:47 pm »
Some people react less to goats and sheep's milk. But I wouldn't go as far as saying those are dairy free.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 20:12:03 pm »
I would check with the doctor before you try goats or sheep milk products as the proteins in them are very similar to those in cows milk so he/she may want you to avoid them to.

Kelly x

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 21:25:16 pm »
Definitely a good idea to check with doctor first, particularly as he has advised you to go dairy free, but x had no issues with sheep cheese but has reacted pretty strongly to cows milk products all his life. There's some info here: http://www.sheepcentre.co.uk/sheep_milk_facts.htm.