Author Topic: Dropping the 3rd bottle  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Dropping the 3rd bottle
« on: June 18, 2013, 16:07:00 pm »
So we still haven't done the milk trial yet. Plan on doing that next week when I'm home all week in case he's got issues. However since his growth spurt at 12 months his solids intake has gone back down but his bottle intake stayed up. He's getting between 21-24oz a day of elecare in 3 bottles. He LOVES his bottle. Here is our routine thus far

Wake 6
Eat solids 6:30 I cook a scrambled egg (he'll eat maybe 1/2 if that), usually a veggie like asparagus or peas, and bread with jam cut into small pieces. This morning it was egg he ate  1/2 a homemade blueberry muffin he ate a 1/3 and then I cut up some fruit since he didn't want anymore egg or muffin. I don't offer fruit at most meals as then he'll refuse anything else but occasionaly i'll give it to him after a meal if he's eaten better like this morning. Most times if he refuses everything I'll give him a toy and then he'll just eat what I put into his mouth until he gets bored.
About 45min later he starts whining and clinging and I know he wants his bottle. He downs 8oz almost every time. I do offer water in a sippy cup with a straw at all meals and snacks and through out the day. he usually eats about 1oz or so at meals and then a few sips here and there throughout the day.
He gets a snack around 10. Usually about 5oz of coconut yogurt (almost a full container) sometimes a fruit puree pouch about 4oz or some cut up fruit.
He naps about 2-3hrs
Lunch solids after his nap. You'd think he'd be starving but this is his worst meal. He rarely eats anything. I usually offer sliced turkey (nitrate free), 2 veggies like avacado, and steamed sweet pepper. All things he likes. It doesn't really matter what I offer. I can usually get him to eat some puree because he's distratcted my his toys.
About 45 min later he wants his bottle. He'll eat around 6-8oz. But usually the lesser amount.
Dinner time is a bit compressed but he eats well
BT bottle. Usually 6-8oz

I think it's time to stop the Afternoon bottle I think he's holding out for it? Possibly the AM one too but since we haven't done the milk trial and that's all the dairy he gets right now I can't drop the AM one. He doesnt' like drinking formula out of his sippy straw cup he will take a sip or two then realize it's not water and stop and just play with it. Any ideas? should i wean the bottle by offering less and less so he's starving by dinner? Or just go cold turkey and offer it all in a sippy.

He gets really really whiny when he wants his bottle. Really the only time he ever whines. It's kind of funny because he hated it up until a few months ago would just eat until he's barely satisfied then it was a struggle to get him to drink the rest. Who knows.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
Re: Dropping the 3rd bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 14:34:46 pm »
Anyone?

**Siobhan**

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 16:08:45 pm »
I would just not offer the daytime bottle - offer the milk in a cup and if he wants it he will have it. If he starts whining for it you can keep giving him the cup and let him decide if he wants it.

It's not really surprising that he's not that hungry at lunchtime really, he has a fair amount in the morning with the milk and yoghurt and the other bits he eats. Don't forget their tummies are still small at this age - about the size of their fist I believe.

I know he can't have dairy, but they only need anout 12oz of dairy to get their needs met and his formula is designed to be an equivalent substitute so he is getting double what he needs - formula is also quite filling.

Laura

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 16:57:15 pm »
Hi we only have bedtime bottle now, everything else is in a spout cup, or sippy cup. My LO is 13 months today but he loves finger food, could u offer finger food at bottle time as a distraction?
Zoe

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 17:20:01 pm »
I want to keep the 2 bottles for now because he can't have dairy so no cheese etc. He only gets what he needs from his formula. So the 2 have to stay for now to get at least the 12-15oz he needs per day. However I will drop that 2nd bottle and offer a sippy cup with a straw and see how he does.

Zoe does your son prefer the straw or spout cup?

**Siobhan**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 18:02:02 pm »
He quite likes a nuby one that is shaped a bit like a bottle but has a soft silicone type spout. He walks around swigging from it thinking he's very clever ha ha!!
Zoe

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 19:12:56 pm »
LOL thanks. Liam loves to drink water out of his straw sippy but once he figures out its formula he doesn't want it anymore.. I was thinking somethign more bottle like for formula he might like

**Siobhan**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 19:17:21 pm »
They like to keep u spending trying different products out ;-)
Zoe

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 19:20:30 pm »
LOL yes they do.

**Siobhan**

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 20:42:53 pm »
I was thinking somethign more bottle like for formula he might like

He might, BUT you need to be working on dropping bottles not replacing a bottle with something similar, it would be a better idea to choose one type of sippy/ straw or open cup and just stick to that! ;D They are clever these toddlers - if they can find a way to get you to give them what they want they will ;)!!

Laura

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 21:33:38 pm »
he surprised me. I put him on my lap in front of the TV where he usually drink his bottle because it keeps and distracted. And he drank about 5 ounces with no problem. Pleasantly suprised.bhe still didn't want lunch and dinner was spotty but its good progress.

**Siobhan**

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 21:51:46 pm »
Just moving you to the Toddler food board :)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 22:10:26 pm »
Oh thanks :) keep forgetting he's a toddler

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 19:55:37 pm »
Ok so it's gone a bit down hill. He is refusing the sippy with milk. I offered it to him today and he just sipped a bit than refused. Then starting throwing a fit about 20min later. Offered the sippy didn't want it and had a tantrum. Just to see if he was throwing a tantrum for another reason I offered the bottle. If he refused then I would know it was something else, but nope he downed the bottle.  So... not sure what to do. He still needs the oz's. should I try a different sippy?

**Siobhan**

Offline Lolly

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 20:35:14 pm »
What time did you offer the sippy - was it the after breakfast milk or the afternoon milk? If you are still giving the morning and bedtime milk in a bottle that's plenty of oz so it doesn't matter if he doesn't have milk between those 2 bottles. Every time you give him a bottle after he throws a tantrum you are reinforcing that that behaviour will get him a bottle so he will keep doing it.

I would stick to a bottle after his breakfast (what happens if you give the milk on wake up at 6 and then breakfast later?) and bedtime and it's cups of milk or no milk in between however much he protests - offer a cup of milk and some thing to eat, if he is truly hungry or thirsty he will choose one or both if there is no other option.

Laura