Author Topic: Am I setting myself up for failure with distraction?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline enna77

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Am I setting myself up for failure with distraction?
« on: June 19, 2013, 20:31:21 pm »
My DD is 9.5 months old, started solids when she was 5 months and she has generally been a great eater, eating loads 3 good meals a day. We're at the phase of chunkier/mashed food & adding more finger foods so she can feed herself a bit more.

Lately I've noticed when I'm adding chunkier foods or when shes teething or a bit unwell shes not as interested turning her head after only a few mouthfuls. So I've started 'distracting' her i.e. giving her a new toy or something interesting & then she just starts opening her mouth and I literally can get twice as much into her. But am I setting myself up for failure, do you think she will start expecting this? Is this the start of a bad habit?

I know babies are supposed to have natural appetites etc so should I should just accept she wants to start eating a 1/4 of what she used to? I've just got back from staying with a friend with a 2 yo & its literally like a floor show watching both parents, at the same time, trying to get dinner into him so I don't want to end up on that road - DD1 was always a great eater, DD2 is a lot more active, nosy & loses attention easier. :-\ 
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Am I setting myself up for failure with distraction?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 21:20:49 pm »
When teething a lot of babies go back a step, to softer stuff. What does she do if you offer that?

My DS is spirited and his hands were everywhere as a baby - I ended up giving him junk mail, toys etc to explore while he was eating because he literally could not sit still (still can't!). I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is age appropriate. I now have a great eater who at 5yo loves to cook and makes the stir fry sauce for us every week!

Another option for you is to give her different foods to explore with her hands while you are feeding her.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 00:02:57 am »
I wouldn't go down that road.  Not worth it, IMO.  At this age most of the nutrition is still coming from baby milk, .  I think it's very important to encourage children to honor their natural hunger and satiety cues and to develop a healthy relationship with food.  When she starts refusing, I'd be inclined to put some finger foods and her tray and go about eating your own meal and leave her to mess around/eat as she desires. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 00:50:11 am »
I think it's very important to encourage children to honor their natural hunger and satiety cues and to develop a healthy relationship with food.

Totally agree! My DH does not agree, but I won out for the most part on this one...though MIL still drives me batty by playing airplane with DD2's spoon...she is almost 5 for goodness sake.  I really would not go down that road, the whole "start as you mean to go on" yk?
Heidi

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 21:43:23 pm »
agree with pp I wouldn't distract to get food in.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 23:38:17 pm »
Sorry I actually disagree about distraction being a bad thing as does our OT. We have found with our LO he is just so darn interested in his surroundings and has been since day one that if he isn't literally starving for food he will only eat about 2 to 3 bites and then will start dropping food off the tray etc. he's not food he just wants to get down and go back to playing. He knows it's annoying and for a while I'd get frustrated but then I went to an OT.  I think it honestly just depends on your lo's age etc. Distracting a 5yr old who is completely capable of eating on their own with or without distraction is just plain silly you give them a meal if they don't eat it then so be it. (obviously that's simplified for a completely healthy kid who eats normally most of the time but is being a pain). But I took my lo to an OT because he would barely eat anything even though he seemed hungry all the time. It turned out I was offering too much variety and too much quantity. What we do now is offer 3 different finger foods he gets a little on his tray and the rest stays on my plate. One I know he'll eat one he likes but may not eat and then something new or something he hasn't liked in the past or just another safer food. He'll eat the one he likes most then get bored. So then I'll give him a spoon and bowl to play with and I'll use my fingers to feed him or a spoon myself and give him the other 2 things. After a bit he'll get tired of that and I'll give him a cup to play with or some other utensil or plate.

The key is according to our OT to not get shiny, lighted sounding toys/tv to distract him but things he'll use later on, cups, bowls, spoons, paper plates things like that. We do sing silly songs and try to make dinner fun, but we're all seated at the table. No one is dancing around etc. We don't do airplane etc because it didn't work anyway. :) He'll tell me he's done by clamping his mouth shut and shaking his head or pushing the spoon away. When that happens I know he's full and we never force him. But before that the rest is just him wanting to do what he can to get down and go back to playing.

As other people have stated their appetites change from day to day due to no reason at all, or teething, being OT etc. Also you are in prime spoon refusal stage. From about month 8 to 9 we had a heck of a time he refused all spoons, all puree and with a texture issue wouldn't take finger foods. It was quite the trial and error, one of the reasons we went to the OT.

Just by 2 cents. HTH :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline enna77

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 00:37:20 am »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts definitely something to think about I can certainly see both sides, I do like the idea that if I am going to use distraction make it food related, ie some finger foods or food utensils etc so thanks for that as an idea. Even when I do use distraction after a while, I guess when she is actually full, she will also start to turn her head away which I of course respect. Its just really hard after only a few mouthfuls for me to accept she is full YK when she used to be such a HUGE eater.

BTW what/who is an OT? My brain automatically reads overtired lol

Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 00:40:59 am »
OT =occupational therapist. :) 
Heidi

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 00:44:53 am »
Yes sorry. :)  My lo does a great breakfast and dinner but  by great it's not a lot of food, but it is for him ifywim. Lunch is a bad meal all together he's just not very hungry so it's usually just a few bites and that's it. I wouldn't be too worried. As long as she isn't full on formula/BM (which was a problem for us) I think you're ok as long as you know she's full and she tells you she's full. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline enna77

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 23:02:48 pm »
While we're on the topic what do you ladies think about offering things off our plate or little tastes of what I'm having. I've been doing this a bit as shes in the explore & discover phase but I can quickly see with this little spirited one there could start to be an expectation that she gets a taste of 'everything' I'm eating all the time  ::)
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 00:39:03 am »
I take it you prepare different meals for yourself and for her?  Why not put little "samples" of whatever you are having on a separate plate (not hers or yours, as I suspect the novelty wouldn't be the same if it was on her plate yk?) and let her sample from there?
Heidi

Offline enna77

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 00:48:21 am »
yes at the moment she has dinner around 5 and then when we eat around 6 when DH gets home I give her a few more things of our plate on her own to taste. Its more like my snacks etc. during the day
Enna

DD1 Oct 07
DD2 Sept 12

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:30:37 am »
Well for snacks I still let my kids taste what I have and then offer to make them some if they like it! Less waste that way as half the time they dont want more than a bite.
Heidi