Author Topic: How many milk feeding and solids for 9 month baby?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline piscessu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How many milk feeding and solids for 9 month baby?
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:30 am »
Hi there,

I am so desprated with my baby's feeding recently. It will be highly appreciated if you could help me with my questions.

My DD is 9 month now with weight only 7.3 kg, about 10% on the growth chart. In recent one month, her appetite seems getting worse. So I am worried about she would fell off the growth chart soon. She gets Thalssamia from me but she looks thriving (that means she is anaemic). My breast milk is not enough, so I am using supply line to give her formula an d breast milk at the same time.

Here is her EASY:

7:30 approx. 130 ml milk total
9:30 cereal with fruit (today she had 1 strawberry, 1/3 of banana and 1 slice of avocado)
10:00 45 mins nap
11:30 130ml milk
12:30 couscous porridge with egg yolk/ meat and veggie
2:30 1 hour nap
3:30 130 ml milk
5:30  avacodo slices and steamed carrots/pumpkin
7:00 130 ml milk
8:00 sleep

With solids, she doesn't eat much. And 130 ml milk is the ideal amount, most of the time, she could only finish 100-110 ml.

today, she seems have more solids than usual , so at 11:30 & 3:30 milk feelings, she only has about 40 ml each time. This drove me crazy.

My question is that:

Am i giving my DD too many times of feeding and solids considering she has a small appetite? Should I omit one milk or solids?

Milk and solids, which is more important for 9-12 month baby? I read somewhere that milk is the most important food for baby under 12 month. And baby under 12mon could reply only on milk without solids. Solids is only for exploring for this age. But some say that from 9 month, babies should be given solids first and milk is for in-between.

And do you have any suggestions on increasing baby' appetite? Thank you very much for your help.

Anna

Offline piscessu

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How many milk feeding and solids for 9 month baby?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:15:17 am »
P.S.

In recent week, she barely had any milk at bedtime feeding, only about 30 ml. So I gave her dream feeding ( half hour after she falls asleep) to make sure she finish her bottle. Is dream feeding doing any harm? Thanks a lot.

Anna

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »
Milk is most important at this age as breast milk or formula have more fat and calories per ounce plus all the nutrients she needs compared to any solids. What does your Dr think? Is she following the 10th percentile line on the growth chart OT dropping down the graph?

I don't think DF is doing any harm if it is getting more milk into her. I may cut back on the solids or try to use formula or breast milk mixed with her cereal and/or any puree food you do. Can you bring dinner earlier to 4.30 or 5 so she is hungry again by the BT feed? She may be still full from dinner. Or she could just be too tired because she isn't getting a long nap of at least 1.5hrs at any point in the day. Do you think she needs that first nap later so she  is tired enough to take a full nap instead of the 45min CN she is currently doing?

Good on you for continuing with BFing through all the troubles you have been having :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline piscessu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 13:12:01 pm »
Thanks Ali for your suggestions.

My DD's birth weight is about 20% on the curve. Although she has dropped down form the curve, my Dr thinks her growth is normal because both her dad and me are small figure and she is quite active and meets all development milestones.

So you think I still need give my DD 4 times milk feedings, not 3 times? Because I saw from this forum that 9-10 month baby could have 3 times milk feeding.

You mentioned cutting back solids, do you mean I should give her 2 meals in stead of 3 meals, or I just need give her less solids for 3 meals? I am considering give her 2 meals. Do you think it is Ok?

For sleeping, we just stared PUPD, it's take about 40 mins to get her to sleep. So I have to put her in the cot at around 10am, she might fall asleep at 10:45, and at 11:30 she will have her milk. I am working on extending her CN but not easy :(

Anna

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 13:46:16 pm »
Yes some formula fed babies can move to 3 bottles at 9mo but they would be around 8oz (240ml) each. Do you think your DD would do this? Ideally you want to be aiming for 24oz (720ml) a day.

Do you have any way of knowing if she is getting much breast milk at the feeds? Is the supply line you mentioned a supplemental nursing system? i.e. she is nursing from the breast and has a tube attached that gives her formula at the same time? or have i misunderstood that? Obviously if she is getting breast milk to make up the shortfall in formula then that is fine. Breast milk supply tends to do better with more frequent feeds so if you are a already having trouble with your supply then I would not drop BFs, assuming of course you wish to continue breastfeeding.

To cut back on solids I would actually just offer less at each sitting and keep the 3 meals so she is eating little and often but you know her best.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:54:53 am »
I had a chat with a couple of pur moderators with bottle feeding experience and they both found that moving to three bottles actually increased all bottles across the day after an initial dip for a few days. Maybe the same would work with your DD?