Author Topic: Just some early days questions...  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Just some early days questions...
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
Hugs sweetie both my babies did this for the first 4 nights of their lives and then it settled down once milk was in, try not to worry xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 10:36:58 am »
We had the same too. I introduced a dummy in the end, it just helped him to settle - half his sucking was definitely for comfort. He only needs it occasionally to help him settle to sleep. I don't think it's recommended with Bf'ing, but hasn't caused any problems here and has actually been a life saver.

Hugs lovely. Those first nights are torture. Dh slept (and still does mostly!) on the sofa so at least he had a full nights sleep and could then be up with DS1 the next day and I could catch up on sleep when baby was sleeping.

It does get MUCH easier, honestly xxx
Catherine x

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:34 am »
Cath your ticker makes me chuckle, I'm not sure anyone would be "so excited" to be 43 weeks 1 day pregnant lol!!
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks ladies. I honestly couldn't do without knowing you are here. I'm having a lie down now as my little girls are both with their Daddy. I will ride it out. I was at the brink with C so many times but she'd never take a bottle/dummy and we got there eventually. We tried to give Georgia a dummy last night but she wouldn't take it.

Will try to make sure she's a bit more alert today ( once I've had a lie down) and rest as much as I can. Think I'll ask C's grandparents to take her for a bit tomorrow too. She's totally shell shocked and looked horrified at my nipples hanging all over the place earlier. I did gently tell her it had been the same for her!

Ok I will try and rest now. G'a starting to look a little yellow so we have her in front of the window and am going to make sure she has some alert feeds today.

Thank you all so much :-*

*Nicola*

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
Nicola you are living the exact few days we did - Ben was yellow at this point too, sorted itself almost as quickly as it arrived.

I know Charli! I can't bear the thought of trying to change it from my phone so 43 weeks pregnant I shall remain for now! ;)

Enjoy some rest lovely. Definitely get C out with grandparents - we didnt even have ollie home til day 3 so it neXbt we had time to get Ben a bit settled.
Catherine x

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 13:24:13 pm »
Congratulations!! 

You've had some great advice here.  I'd just say get into bed, or on the couch, don't try to do much other than feed and rest.  The first week or so is utter madness but everyday gets you nearer to establishing something like normality. Take it easy on yourself, you could feel all sorts of crazy emotions as the hormones get going and your milk comes in. 

I found multi-mam compresses were brilliant for any breast soreness.  Just if you feel you need something else.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 13:28:04 pm »
And meant to post this for you:
http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

This saved my sleep second time around: set up, plug baby in, snooze.  I would doze off and wake up an hour or so later to put her back in her cot!!  HTH.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 13:49:33 pm »
It COULD be day/night confusion but more likely she's just hungry and getting your milk going. (((hugs)))
I agree with this^^^^^ -- James was fairly day/night confused for the first several weeks but didn't need to be attached to the breast the whole night.  He was ok with being held all night too.  ::)  Hang in there!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 20:08:14 pm »
You're doing great, Nicola.  Just keep an eye on the latch and make sure she's on properly so your nipples don't get too much more sore.  If you need to, get some breast shells and pop them in in between to keep clothes from rubbing on them.  But keep an eye on it and if they're still getting really bad, just make sure someone does a check for tongue tie if they haven't already.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 20:16:07 pm »
Congrats, Nicola and welcome Georgia!! Totally agree that this is all normal and she's working to establish your supply. Should all gt a bit easier when the milk starts really flowing. Hugs!
*Kate*

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 23:25:14 pm »
Agree Hun once your milk is in things will get much better.

When I had maeve she was pretty much attached to my boob 24/7 for months and I knew I couldn't be at that with number 2. My MW told me to look out for changes in sucking. So they do suck suck swallow when they are actively feeding. She said often you notice a fluttering at the nipple then a change in sucking and she said that most often marks the end of active feeding and moving to comfort sucking and to unlatch then and just settle however. Obviously it's such early days so let her feed as she pleases but next week don't be afraid to try unlatch her once she's fed. My MW also said that after 30 minutes they are most likely done. Having those guidelines really helped BFing take off and last here with number 2.

With the dummy I found using it at settled times led to them taking it at unsettled times. I'd originally started it at fractious times and neither would have it at all.

Hugs. You're doing great. And get as much help with C as you can. I'd loads of help with M and it did wonders for everyone.

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:30 am »
Thanks ladies for your positive support.

Last night was much better. I " think" (i know weird right?!) my milk is starting to come in because my breasts are heavier, warmer and feeling lots of tingliness. It hasn't been the grand entrance it was last time with C but there are certainly changes.

G's poo is now at the very dark brown curry so I'm pleased all the muconium is moving through. Some good wet nappies too so I'm just trying to have a bit more confidence in myself.

I potentially think there is an issue with the latch though as it does sound like she's gulping a little and there is some sharp pinches around the areola which feel grazed. My nipples actually don't look that bad. I find it really hard to see because my breasts are so large and soft and my areola are huge so all the pics in the breastfeeding books are not much use really. Plus when trying to hold a huge boob and latch her on I just find it all so cumbrrsome. (I was still having to hold my breast at 18mos while feeding C!) Her lips are flanging but I'm not sure we're getting her mouth wide enough. Will ask the MW to send a breastfeeding support worker out in the next few days though. Anything standing out there ladies?!

Feel a lot better today as managed to have a couple of 2hr stretches of sleep. I ws so tired last night that I did let her go 4 hrs from 7:30 until 11 and then until half 2. I find it so hard to get to sleep until I know she's in a deep sleep that I'm awake for a good while after she's gone back down.

Thank you so much! All the tips or if anything is standing out pls let me know xxx

*Nicola*

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:18 am »
Hugs, your doing great!
Is it at all easier lying down and feeding? I know with Z I never got the hang of it, but with T it was just easy, and he latched better ???
Do you have a pillow to help you get comfortable? :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 07:14:18 am »
Have you tried the biological nurturing position that Anne posted a link to Nicola? I found that great in the early days (don't get on so well with it now), and if you get your pillows in the right place you can be hands free too, I used to sit on the sofa with Ben in that position eating my lunch :)
Catherine x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 07:26:58 am »
You already have such great advice but just wanted to add hugs and say it sounds like you are doing a great job :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011