Author Topic: 9mo: several night waking + early waking  (Read 2923 times)

Offline jade85

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9mo: several night waking + early waking
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:35 am »
Pls pls I really need help his nw of 2-4 times everynight since day 1 he was born was too  :'(much for me to cope as im a working mum...Im mentally tired and exhausted, quarreled with husband everyday, and feeling bad that I sometimes see my bb as a liability as its just so frustrating with dealing his nw ! I'm afraid i get into a depression again !  :'(

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 01:29:45 am »
Hugs, hun for the nw's.  It is sooo hard when you're tired and you also have to work!  Can your husband help out?  Even on week-ends so you can catch up on sleep?

OK, if independent sleep is the issue and feeding is a prop, then he needs to have some other way to sooth himself to sleep.  Does he have a lovey or a special blankie/ teddy, etc?  There are different methods you can try to get rid of the feed-to-sleep prop. 

the one method that you are doing right now is reducing the amount of formula per bottle over time.  In reviewing one of the FAQs, I think you need to do this more gradually so add 2.5 scoops for 3 nights, then drop to 2 scoops for another 3 nights, etc. 
How we stopped the night feeds with a 9 month old

The gentle removal plan is another method to consider.  Since you are bottle feeding, this is something that your DH can help out with also.  Gentle Removal Plan

Offline jade85

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 04:10:56 am »
Hey yes he has a beanie and a lovely , which he loves hugging them to slp. but that doesnt seems to soothe him also. Yes i read that gentle removal plan in faq but find it hard to identify when he sucking gets slower. As he isnt hungry and doesnt seems to suck vigorously. So I uses the reduced qty during feeding method as per the faq thread as well on jow to drop night feed. But after he finishes his bottled ( reduced quantity) he still cries fuss big time. I resort to giving water instead. okay last nit seems better. He woke ard 1230am, i feed some water he went back slp, woke again at 3am i feed milk reduced by another 30ml from previous 3nights of quantity he slept woke at 530am again I feed again and he fuss a bit then went.back slp till 7am. Am i doing right ? do i feed everytime he wakes up at night ? and what to do if he still fuss after the reduced.milk feed ?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 15:58:45 pm »
but find it hard to identify when he sucking gets slower
I would watch his neck and jaw to see when he's sucking and swallowing.  Do this during the day when you can see him well. 

I don't want to discourage you but I'm wondering if the gentle removal plan would be better because your LO is using feeding (or sucking) as a prop vs being genuinely hungry at night and needing the night feed.  By reducing the number of calories in a bottle, I think you still may be reinforcing the suck to sleep prop.  I suppose one alternative is if he took a paci then he could use that.  By 9 months, most LOs using a paci can control it themselves so it may not become a prop.