Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 69364 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2015, 18:56:10 pm »
Hey Awinkza with  my lo I have always gone with set naps instead of awake times as when she was younger we had very little tired signs and it worked for us.  With the cn for my lo, regardless of wu it was at 9am. if it hadn't worked by 9:30 then I carried on as normal for the 1 nap at 11:30 and did everything to make sure it was 2+ hours.  It didn't happen for over a week but did get longer and longer on her own.

If it was a rough day with short naps or grizzly then it was an ebt of 6 to help her catch up.

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2015, 23:27:02 pm »
Hey Awinkza, hang in there. Might just be a rough patch. In regards to not feeding overnight, it takes a good week for them to get used to it.
I know for sure my dd wasn't waking because of hunger as the nights she didn't have milk, she wasn't even overly hungry for her breakfast. As long as they're eating 3 good meals a day plus a few snacks they really shouldn't be hungry at night. If my dd wakes she has A huge skull of water! So probably more thirst than hunger. 😊

Offline MayaandEvasmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #392 on: October 17, 2015, 06:57:22 am »
Well lost the plot yesterday! Had a stupid idea to push BT out to 7pm and a disastrous nap day (what was I thinking?) :-[ and we were up at 4.30 this morning! I think I will just let her sleep whenever today to catch up as we are def in OT territory. No idea what plan of action I am going to follow from now on.  Got myself all confused. Need to go on holiday we had some lovely sleeps whn away ;) x

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2015, 07:16:52 am »
Oh hugs M&E that sounds rough!!  Maybe do what you can today to get 2 good naps if you can??  And go for a sebt.  Hopefully you will have a couple of good days and you will find your mojo again!

Does your lo sleep well in the pram?  Could you apop the naps to make sure they happen?

Your not alone! 

Offline MayaandEvasmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2015, 07:29:10 am »
Morning, yes she does sleep really well in the pram.  I did that yesterday for her early nap, shame I had to wake her :(. x

Offline awinkza

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #395 on: October 17, 2015, 18:55:25 pm »
Firstmum - I'm curious how you determined your set nap times? I feel like 9:00 a.m. is super early! I don't think she would be ready to sleep by then, but maybe I am wrong?  Did it take a while for your lo to start sleeping when you went to that schedule? I think I am going to keep with this set nap of 11:30 a.m. for at least a week and then I will be prepared to switch to the 2 set naps if it seems like it really isn't working!  I;m trying to gather all the info I can so I can be prepared for the transition if needed!

Last night went a bit better with the NW; she woke at 12:30 a.m. and cried so I offered water and she only took a little and then I put her back down. She tried to sleep but cried again shortly so I went back in, she drank a lot more water and then wanted to get back in her bed and she was off to sleep. It was much quicker than the night before. I expect this will keep getting better! Then she will probably be less tired during the day as well and hopefully we can get things settled in :) 

Thank you all for your responses - every little bit helps me make better decisions and feel more confident in my decisions as well!

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2015, 18:56:13 pm »
Clairebear! :D Blast from the past! Funny, I was thinking of you the other day as I remembered our discussions on here (was it 2-1 or 18mo regression? Or both?) and wondering whether you'd had another LO or if I'd bump into you here again sometime! I had a break from here in between so I don't know if you've been around but hadn't spotted you until now. How are things? So you have one of each now too, lovely :) We have the same with school runs although of course DD is a bit older, but on the HSN side of things - how about yours? How much sleep overall do you think she needs? Ours needs a bit more than DS did so got a bit tied up in knots a few weeks ago but I think we're reasonably settled for the time being, at least we know where we should be, even if things do get disrupted :P We've been doing this recently:

06.30 Up
09.30-09.50 nap
1-3 Nap
6.30 BT

At 11mo the morning nap was probably more like 45-55mins, can't quite remember, but then the pm nap had to be after preschool pick-up and lunch, so from 1.15/1.30 and I didn't have to wake her. DS, on the other hand, at 11mo, started with a CM and did something like:

06.30 up
09.30-10 nap
1-3 nap
7 BT

He did have to be woken at 3 as the CM had school run to do. So as you see it's possible to make it work with school runs, dd I think would naturally be a long/short nap LO, but as you know that doesn't really work around everything else, so she's been forced into short/long and we're doing ok atm, although tbh it took me a long while to find her rhythm, as many of these ladies know :P

Hugs M&E, how did it go today?

Offline awinkza

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2015, 03:14:06 am »
Ok - had a mess today. Wake up was good around 7 a.m. but then I put her down for her nap around 11:30 a.m. and she fell asleep at about 11:55 and woke up again at 12:30 p.m.  ???  I thought she might fall back to sleep but she eventually started playing around in her bed and then fell over and hurt herself against the bars on the side so of course that was the end of that.  I thought I would just give it a try on an afternoon cn but of course she didn't sleep so then I thought I would shoot for an early bedtime of 6 p.m. but she was fighting it and then fell asleep nursing and was finally in bed at 6:30 p.m.  She just woke up crying at 7:55 p.m. and I got her back in bed and she is still trying to get to sleep. 

I know I said I was going to try the 1 nap for at least a week and now I'm already doubting myself, but at the same time I just don't think she is going to fall asleep so early in the morning if I try an earlier catnap.  I'm so confused!  Oh! I forgot to mention that she is just now standing up a lot and starting to cruise around furniture and walk a bit so I'm sure that is adding to this current sleep challenge. 

Suggestions?

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2015, 06:37:12 am »
Awinkza my 9am cn came from her original 2 nap schedule.  Prior to the transition my lo was having 2 good naps 9am and 1-1:30.  When she started to shorten both naps by HEAPS I figured we would give just 1 a go.  Ladies on this site suggested the 11:30 set nap so I knew I needed to have a small cn to get her through.  Decided to roll with the 9am and just capped it at 15 mins max.  Really helped her to reach 11:30.  When she started to resist the 11:30 nap I just cut the cn.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #399 on: October 18, 2015, 18:41:12 pm »
Awinkza, not all LOs can manage a morning UT CN, mine both take/took it as it was kept at a consistent time (from when 3h was a stretch), with a consistent pre-nap routine, by this stage both have been less reliable getting off for it, I'm hoping to stop it completely once it's been refused consistently and we've (hopefully!) had some success with the resulting one nap. I'd say if you're going to try it, perhaps try after an awful night when she's tired anyway, you never know, this could be the silver lining of your rotten day :P oh hang on, quick time check - guess I'm too late for you today now, sorry!

Offline awinkza

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:35 am »
Thank you First Mum and Trimbler for your responses...last night turned out to be so much better! After the early evening wakeup, she didn't wake again until 7 a.m.!!!! Finally feel like we are making better progress! I was considering switching to the 2 naps, but remembered that I promised myself to at least give it a week so stuck to the 1 nap and I'm glad I did...she actually slept for 1.5 hours! That is the longest stretch we have had in at least a few weeks. I can't really remember now, but after such a  good night's sleep I felt much more prepared to deal with anything so a longer nap was such an amazing topping on the cake!  Of course, then we took an afternoon trip to Ikea which ended up being much longer than I planned, so she wasn't in bed till 7:30 p.m., but I'm hoping we will still continue to have a good night and a good nap tomorrow! I will report back soon :)

Offline MayaandEvasmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:07 am »
Well after the disastrous wU of 4.30 on sat am, I decided to let her sleep what she wanted in the am, so she napped at 8.15am for an hour, I put her down again four hours later . She fell asleep around 13.15 again for an hour.  Was undecided what to do about BT so winged it tbh, we had visitors so it was 19.45 when she went off.  She woke at 5.45! s much better.  Decided to follow same formula, although its going to clash with school run with the later WU however I don't have to do school run until thurs, so could give this a good go.  Anyway yesterday was pretty similar, however bought BT a little earlier at 7.30 and we got a 6.30 WU,yay!!!! Just hope she is not coming down with anything  :(.  Will have to jiggle around but maybe if she is getting 2 hours nap in any combination and the later Bt may work for now, we shall see x

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Happy baby is more than a yoga pose :)
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2015, 16:27:32 pm »
Hi ladies,
My DD is 2 weeks shy of her 1 year (ack! too fast!) and naps have never been great.  Never over 1.15h (once, 1.45, once...) and usually closer to the 40-60 min.
So now we're at some nap refusals, major teething, learning to walk (crazy cruising and occasional across the room!), and if a nap, 30 mins max, sometimes on a parent. Terrible.
tons of NW, EW, but super happy any time she's not being put to bed.  Generally laughing, playing and non stop movement - on 2 x 30 min naps and BT ~7p and up ~4 times at night, sometimes for an hour or two of PU/PD crying, and then up ~6:30a.
Disaster.  But happy?! It's weird.
So this has been for two weeks, before she'd long nap, short nap and get to BT pretty ok with 2-3 WU and some EW (never great!).  We think its time to start the 2-1 nap transition. I'm thinking closer to cold turkey.
This worked for paci wean, night wean and PU/PD EASY reset at 6 mons.  It was a bad 9 days but then we had ~2 months of 11 hour sleep at night! :) and then she started teething and crawling... hmm.

So if our schedule (ish) is:
7a WU (whenever she wakes before 7am I keep her in the dark bedroom and hold her until 7am to diaper change and nurse, she CNs generally)
7:15a E nurse
8a breakfast with us, solids
10a Nap (30 m or the before 1.15h)
11a E bottle BM
12p E lunch with us
2p Nap (30-40 m)
3p E Bottle BM
4p E solids/snacks
5:45p dinner with us
6:15p bath
6:30-45 bottle BM
7p BT

Bed time took ~2 hours last night to get her down, crawling around laughing, crying standing, shouting, shrieking, laughing....
Then PU/PD, finally asleep and the fire alarm started chirping!!!! :(
randomly all night. ridiculous.
you just have to laugh.
Suggestions on schedule?
Thank you (sorry so long!)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #403 on: October 19, 2015, 19:31:26 pm »
Hey lovely to hear your good news, M&E and Awinkza :D :D

Welcome, chauncycay :) Have you tried pushing out that first nap, and if so, what happened? Sorry it's been so tough - and the fire alarm, really! ::)

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Happy baby is more than a yoga pose :)
« Reply #404 on: October 19, 2015, 19:37:56 pm »
ok, so we tried to push the first nap to 11a today. My husband is daddy day care and I work from home (separate office in our yard, so I say goodbye, etc. in the am and they go for a walk while I go to work - in the back yard :)).
He took her to the big park - longer walk, played on the swings, etc.
She went down with a bit of a fuss (was super sleepy, couldn't even read to her, wiggle/fuss/out, then up and back down ~20 min)
Slept from 11:20-noon so 40 min nap.
Not horrible.
Bottle, went to lunch as usual and then the playground to keep her up (she's beat after horrible night and short nap but had fun on the playground with 3 other little girls :)).
My husband's distracting her while I wrap up work and then I'll nurse her at 3p which is usually nap at 2 and nurse or bottle at 3p.
she'll likely fall asleep on me for a bit.
Hopefully.  that nurse/CN will help us get to a slightly early BT.

Any tips?  does that sound ~good for a first try?