Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 67929 times)

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2014, 17:39:31 pm »
Can I ask what you did after the half hour capped morning nap. We are doing half an hour in the am and then 1.5 hours pm. But don't really know where to go from here!!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2014, 20:10:14 pm »
When we couldn't fit in a short am and long pm any more we switched to long am,  and AP'd a cat nap on the days we needed 2 naps.  We alternated 1 & 2 nap days for a long time, just doing one nap when he refused his am nap.  Then we did 2 x 1 nap days and 1 x 2 nap days,  then 3 x 1 nap days etc.  I mostly followed cues and WU time though.  It wasn't scientific ;).  If WU time was early,  we did 2 naps.  If it was later, we did 1 nap.  Once my LOs could nap well on 5hrs A time I switched to one nap as the standard.  I'm kind of at that point now with Jack (I know he's very young!), so not through it yet. But only cos 2 nap days just mean 14 hr days and 10hr nights and lots of nap / BT refusal. If short am / long pm is working for you I'd stick with it for as long as you can.

Offline mommybear!

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:24 pm »
Hi I haven't posted in a while.  It's been a rough week.  Nw multiple times I think it's been a little over a week since I had two sttn in a row.  Teething is the main problem.  I tried motrin the last two nights.  She woke at 5 am one night and last night she woke at 1240am for over an hour. I'm having a hard time focusing from the lack of sleep. I'm probably just missing something.  One tooth broke but a second is still just a bump.  I had cut her first nap to 45 minutes and she is sleeping her second nap just fine 1-1/2 hours usually.  But her nights are a mess.  I also went down from 4 to 3 nursings.  So maybe its the food.  I am trying cow's milk but she doesn't seem to like it in the sippy.  I will try bottle today.  Maybe I'm just making to many changes at once.  I have my niece again next week for 3 days a week.  I was trying to make some adjustments before reintroducing her cousin into the routine.  ugh I don't know.  ???

Offline 4lamps

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2014, 00:53:15 am »
Hello everyone. I'm new here and thought maybe this is a good place for some support. I feel like we are just goung back and fourth on this 2-1 nap change. Just when I think we've got it down, we dont. I have twin boys. They are 13 months old. Lately all I can get is 1 nap. It's usually been about 2-2.5 hours. And its from about 10:30-12:30. Bedtime is at 7 and they won't take a 2nd nap. I know I  could just put them down to bed early,  but then they won't get to see their dad when he gets off work. That is important to us. Maybe putting them to bed earlier will solve my probs.....I dont know. All I know is that I would love to know what we are doing with these naps....1 or 2. LOL

Offline mommybear!

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 20:30:39 pm »
Hi 4lamps,
How's the night sleep going?
 My update is this...my lo is now 14 months, the teething was a huge issue.  Two teeth one after another came in.  I also adjusted her milk intake and now she seems to be doing better.  I have my niece three days a week again.  So a 14month and about to be 3yr old.  Naps are for the most part going well.  45 minute first nap, 1hr 15min second nap.  Although today she woke 1/2hr in... I think I was making too much noise with 3 yr old.  She sttn two days this week and last night only woke for 1/2 hour at 3am.  I'm not sure when I should cut back to 1/2 hour first nap but I'm going to hold off for now.   I want to get the night sleep a little more regular.
Oh she is walking now too.  Wish us luck tonight. : )

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 20:53:58 pm »
Hi 4lamps, What time does your LO's wake  in the morning before their 10:30 nap? 

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2014, 17:56:23 pm »
Hello its been a while since i posted but its been an awful month of 2-1 transition:( Alex is 16mo and is going back and forth between 2 nap days and 1 nap days. Our problem here is that she likes to take a long am nap going down around 10:30/11 for about 90min, but then wont take a 2nd nap. So by the third day of this she is so OT that she wakes up screaming in the night. BT is pretty early here usually between 6-630. i have tried pushing am nap till later but then she wakes up OT between 30-45min. I know 45min is supposed to be UT but from what i have noticed over the year is that 45min is her OT. Any advise is welcome.
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2014, 19:41:47 pm »
I had to do a short am/long pm nap for both mine as they would never go down in the pm after anything like a decent am nap. I would think if she can get to 11/11.30am and manage a decent nap she 'should' be able to cope with one nap but if not then I would shorten the am nap to more like 30 mins and see how that works for a pm nap x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline beth33

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2014, 06:46:09 am »
Hello! I'm having a rough time figuring out what to do with my DS (13.5 months) for naps, so I thought I'd join you guys here.

DS was doing great with two naps, but around 11 months we started having trouble and he started refusing his morning nap. (Thankfully, his night sleep is still good.) About a month ago, I asked for help on the boards and we decided that he was transitioning to one nap. Since then, I've had some great days and some terrible ones. Sometimes he'll take two naps, but generally he doesn't. On a good day, it might be something like this:

WU 6:30
S 12:30 - 3 (put him down, walk away, he fusses for a few min. and goes to sleep)
S 8:30

On a bad day, it might be something like this:

WU 7
S 4:15-5 (wake up from nap crying, then try to sleep when nursed)
S 7
WU 9:15 pm but easily soothed back to sleep

The latter was how today went. The strange thing is that LO often seems tired early in the day. When we go out before his 1st nap, he tends to fall asleep in the car (regardless of what time it is - he's done it as early as 10 am).

Today, I started offering naps around 10 am (he was rubbing his eyes and seemed tired). Offered again after lunch at around 12:15, 1:30, 2:30, 3:15. When I even brought him into his darkened room he started wailing. To finally get him to sleep, I resorted to holding him until he stopped crying and then putting him down, and he fell asleep almost instantly. Poor kid seemed exhausted - I don't think that method would have gotten him to sleep earlier, he was just so tired by 4:15 that he zonked out as soon as he stopped crying. I seem to have a really hard time identifying when LO wants to sleep - he's basically stopped giving reliable sleep cues.

I haven't been recording things lately. I'm going to start logging his sleep like crazy again and posting here. Hopefully I can get him back on track!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:47:45 am by beth33 »

Offline mommybear!

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2014, 18:56:31 pm »
Hi beth33,
Did you check his mouth?  I've been having a heck of a time with sleep the last 3 1/2 months.  On and off its been the teeth.  My lo is 14 months now.  Oh those back teeth... :(  She also has gas too at the moment.  My flow got messed up after trying to use a hand pump for a day/night out without her.  And then the activity of walking doesn't always help.  I'm finding sometimes she needs longer wind downs. 

Offline beth33

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2014, 19:13:56 pm »
Hi mommybear,

Thanks for your thoughts. You know, it *could* be teeth, but I don't see/feel anything. That doesn't mean there's nothing going on, as LO really hates opening his mouth for you, so you don't get much time to look or feel around, especially in the back.

He's not really walkling yet, though he's started to cruise a little tiny bit in his crib and pnp.

Pumping is really tough, especially at this point, huh? I feel like I only get half the amount that I used to. (The good(?) news is LO is VERY resistant to taking any kind of milk from a straw cup, so he's still generally on BM "from the tap," so I don't really have any reason to pump.) I hope that things normalize for you soon!

Offline mommybear!

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2014, 01:53:27 am »
Thanks,  It's been a few weeks and we seem to be doing better.  I stopped pumping except for one day a week for work.  So my flow seems back to normal.  I've made some other changes too and came up with a plan.  So far so good.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I think I held on to the 45 minute first nap too long and too much night sleep.  It's been so long and so many issues that I was confused where she should be for sleep.  Then I realized she has always been less.  The most she has ever slept at night was 11 hours and two 1 1/2 hour naps during the day.  So we are trying 4 days of adjusting her schedule by small increments.
Starting with the following for 4 days
640 wake
1015-1045 nap
230-4nap
8 bed
Today started with
630 wake
1030-11 nap
230-345 nap
8 bed
So far we got a sttn with EW the day before last
and last night sttn woke at 630. 

Offline yujai

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2014, 02:38:19 am »
Hello all! I am new here. 
We have nap/bedtime struggle ups and downs for a month now.  My LO just turned one last week.  He used to sleep 1.5 hours each for both naps.  There were one week that he slept for 2~2.5 hours during the morning nap and somethings skipped the afternoon nap.  This didn't repeat since then.  Last week he was very difficult during the morning nap, and seems to back to a little bit more normal this week. Afternoon nap is still a struggle.

May anyone has any suggestion on if I should start long AM/short PM CN or vice versa?

Yesterday
WU 5:30
S 10:00-11:25 (Woke once at 10:40, smoothed back to sleep)
S 4:30-5:15 (Naptime routine started at 3:30)
S 8:00
WU 11:25 (Back to sleep at 11:40)

Today
WU 5:35
S 9:40-10:20  (I went in to smooth, back to sleep in 5 minutes, but woke again at 10:40)
S 4:00-4:35 (Naptime routine started at 3:00)
S 8:00

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:51 am »
You need to either cap the morning nap at 45 mins (maybe less) so that he is more tired for a pm nap. OR pushing the am nap later and then offering a pm CN (30-40 mins) and shorter A to BT

Which would you prefer? Have you seen the stickys on the 2-1?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline yujai

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:24 am »
Yes, I read that sticky and makes me wonder if I should do a short morning/long pm nap.  He has always been longer am nap and shorter or equal pm nap, so I have never try the vice visa.   After last week, I just feel silly to spend an hour to put him down and wake him after 30 minutes ;p I will try the 45 min morning nap tomorrow. Wish me good luck!