Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 68037 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2015, 20:02:42 pm »
Thanks ginger413.

Sometimes all it takes is for me to come to a conclusion and I cope better.  We had about 4 nights where somewhere between 1-3 she would wake with a terrible cry.  The doctor had said she had sores on the back of her tongue and throat and I'm guessing that's when the pain meds wore off.  Really hard to console, cuddles, rocking, shushing, singing.  Nothing really worked.  Once I could get the pain meds into her I just cuddled on the floor and rocked quite firmly telling her it was ok, mummies here, Livys ok,  over and over.  She would settle for about 20 mins and then start crying again  :(

Last night was an improvement, bt 6:45 nw at 3:30 when I gave pamol, throat soother and sips of water.  Back in bed after a cuddle.  I heard her on an off with a little grizzle or cough till about 4:20.  wu 6:45.  She is happily playing in the lounge at the moment with a tower of blocks chatting away to herself.

I'm not going to offer the bf this morning and see what happens.  I've been giving her a good size snack at 9am for the last week or so, so that could be contributing to her not wanting/needing the morning bf?

I'm hopeful about the independent sleep.  Liv has always been really good at ss from about 7 months.  We had about 3 weeks where it went out the window at 1 with 4 teeth coming at once and starting to walk and it came back.  I'm going to stay positive and keep rolling with it.

xx

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2015, 00:17:17 am »
Glad you had a decent night last night, firstmum. And your DD sounds so cute playing like that while ill.

Sounds like things are going well considering and also sounds like you have a good plan.  Hope Liv gets well soon!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 00:34:49 am by ginger413 »

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2015, 12:45:59 pm »
Yes get well soon, Livy and (((hugs))) First mum.

Glad I's had good naps, Laura :) Again, hope she's feeling better soon, it's so hard when they're ill or teething or something else is up and we have no idea what baseline is in order to tweak accordingly...

Lovely to hear about giggling to sleep, Ginger ;D How's the sleep nowadays?

Katherine are you still here? No pressure, I know you're busy :-* ;)

Just an update from us, not feeling in a position to advise atm  :-\ So she had a great day with DH sleep-wise on Thursday, actually not too bad when with him all week, it just all goes wrong due to her messing around at naptime when it's me ??? ::) I'm really not sure at all what the nights are like or when she wakes, since I've been sleeping in the living room - DH can sleep through most of it unless she really needs him, and in that case he can resettle her and go straight back to sleep again, unlike me, who'll stay awake the rest of the night ::) So he'll report back to me in the morning, but sometimes I forget to turn the monitor off so there have been nights where he thought she woke at 6 but I know she woke at 5 and had a short NW earlier on too. Not quite knowing what happens at night might make it harder to know what to tweak, but really I wasn't sleeping well in there and my mood's so much better now I'm in the living room. Just hoping her sleep will get better soon so I can sleep in my bed again! Anyway, the 'perfect' day last week went like this:

WU don't really know but always up at 6.30am whatever happens
Nap 1: 9.30-9.55am (capped)
Nap 2: 1-3pm (she woke herself at 3)
BT: 6.45pm - and a decent night, apparently :)

When it doesn't work she may mess around a bit for nap 1, but 15mins max; nap 2 however can be delayed up to 45mins, then she'll do 30mins before waking OT but resettle herself but then do a really bitty nap. May be ww, don't think it's UT. Anyway, my plan now (I think) is to just get her up at 3pm whatever, since she'll have to do that (or perhaps even a little earlier) once DS starts school next month. BT would ideally always be 6.30 or later, so I can get home from work in time to bf her. She's often/mostly(?) still waking around 5am, never sure if she resettled as DH doesn't know - he usually does regardless :P

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:31 am »
I'm still around but pretty much on one nap and powering through!  It's not perfect but it's ok.

We have WU 6ish, nap 11.45/12-2, sometimes a bit shorter or longer, BT 7.  Sleeps most of the night, still get some early NWs a lot of the time or a broken nap if it's at home is not uncommon (at nursery he sleeps in a bouncy chair ::) ) but it's going better than it was a month or two ago.  Hang in there!

Offline Jazelle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2015, 08:49:34 am »
Hello ladies, I have a question about this transition. My toddler is 17 months. He loves his 2 naps but soon is going to start daycare and they only put them down for one nap so I figured I might as well start preparing now.
His schedule is
7 am wake up
7:30 milk
10 am nap ( can go from 1 hr to 1.5)
12 lunch
2pm nap ( mostly lasts 1 hour)
4pm milk and snack
6;30 pm dinner
8 pm bedtime

I am slowly shortening the morning nap since he needs more awake time in the afternoon. Cutting it down to 1 hr. If he wakes at 11 his normal afternoon nap is after 3 hrs so at 2pm. What do I do with that? I move it earlier by 15 min increments. But if I shorten the mornign nap to 45 minutes and move the afternoon nap by 15 min they still dont fall at the same time. Should i stay at one hour morning nap and still move the afternoon nap earlier by 15 min increments?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2015, 10:59:54 am »
Sorry I don't quite understand what you're asking?  If you are taking the short am, long pm route you gradually shorten the morning nap and move the afternoon nap earlier so you end up with one nap at lunchtime :)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:40 am »
Hi Ladies, hope all is well with your LOs and this interesting :P transition (me being positive!!)

We are doing better!  Trucking on with the 1 nap, we are flexible between 11:30-12 which seems to be working.  We are getting between 2-2.5 hours with the occasional horrible blip of a 30 minute nap occurring at daycare, but I am refusing to let it bug me  :)  If we have a morning activity I try and time the car ride for around 9am so we are getting a 15 cn.

The ew have also settled and are a bit more consistent for 6:30-7:15am which is nice.  I think this is partly because I have shifted her bedtime from 6pm asleep to between 6:20-6:45 depending on how her afternoon has gone.

I have a couple of questions. 

1.With mixing up her bedtime I was hoping that she would be awake when we finished her bf to put her down more awake, this isn't happening.  She feeds pretty solidly right until I pop her off, I give her a cuddle and pop her in the cot, help her to roll onto her tummy and I get the occasional eye flutter but that's it.  Would you suggest I wake her more?

2. When we do have an ew it is usually on the days where she sleeps longer than 2hours or after 2pm for her nap.  Do you think this is related?

Thanks in advance

Offline Jazelle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
Hi Ladies,

I've been on this transition for almost a week now. Since he needs longer hours in the afternoon, I'm moving earlier the afternoon nap and capping the morning nap. The problem is that my Lo is UT for the afternoon nap. Today was like this
7 am WU
10:15-11:15 nap ( I woke him up)
put him down for nap at 1:30 and took me until 2:30 to make him sleep
Previously his afternoon nap was at 2pm but by putting him down earlier he sleeps even later!
How to prevent this?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2015, 18:33:11 pm »
Cut his morning nap shorter x

Offline Jazelle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2015, 18:43:48 pm »
Thanks Jessmum, will try that tomorrow xo

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2015, 21:43:07 pm »
Firstmum - just to clarify, now she's waking later in the morning and she's dropping off at the breast between 6.20-6.45pm? Or has she already fallen asleep by this time whilst feeding? If you want to put her down awake then you may need to rouse her whenever she starts to doze off - sit her up or something and then let her continue, perhaps? But at the same time I wouldn't want to change something that's working :P On your second question, I do think they could be related, perhaps try not letting her sleep more than 2h or beyond 2pm and see if that helps? However you may eventually want to push that whole nap later in the day (as well as pushing BT back), so hold that 'no napping beyond 2pm' rule loosely, if you do decide to adopt it. Do you find that she has an EW if she naps beyond 2pm or longer than 2h on days where she's had a morning CN or on days without? I'd lean towards letting her sleep longer if it's her only nap, iiwm, but you know your Dd best ;)

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2015, 21:59:57 pm »
Nothing to report here. Dd is sick, again !!!! It's winter here and there is a horrible upper respiratory bug going around. I've had it too. Have had a rough couple of nights as dd is so blocked up. Tried a vaporiser in her room last night and she only woke at 3.30 so not as bad as the night before. As she's sick Im letting her sleep when and as long she wants. Looking forward to getting back to the new routine when she's better. I feel like we keep going backwards at the moment😞 glad you are all having some success this week 😊

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2015, 05:50:47 am »
Ha ha we're not!!  DS is finally cutting his last canine plus had a bit of illness so it's been a total disaster zone.  He is very OT right now, was up with him from 4.45am today and only got him back off just after 6.  Am just letting him sleep as long as he will and playing the day by ear today.  Will be one nap but will be a bit flexible on timings.  So rubbish when things finally seemed to be settling, I hate teeth!  Dreading 2y molars with this one, they were awful with DD and she wasn't even a bad teether!

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2015, 01:42:57 am »
Firstmum - just to clarify, now she's waking later in the morning and she's dropping off at the breast between 6.20-6.45pm? Or has she already fallen asleep by this time whilst feeding?

Hi Trimbler,  Since starting daycare I can count on 1 hand how many times she is awake/sleepy when I put her down.  If it is actual daycare days or the first couple after usually within the first 5 minutes her eyes are closed and I jiggle to keep her feeding.  She never drops off :-) I always break the latch, my time limit is usually between 8-10 mins each side.  Other days its usually towards the end of the 2nd side that she dozes and again I jiggle to keep her going.  She has such a sleepy association with bf.  This was the reason I stopped her after brekkie feed a couple of weeks ago.  We were getting a 5:30-6:30 wu and she was falling asleep feeding between 7:30-8:30. 

I do wonder if it contributes to her nw being asleep when I put her down rather than self settling?  We can have nw a couple of nights a week anywhere from 1:30-4:30 which we have been attributing to teething or coughing.  Its 50/50 if she with resettle, usually with the coughing she will, but if its a painful cry I will go and whisper soothing words to her and if due give her pain meds.  Thankfully she resettles easily about 80% of the time.  The nw have started since her molars have been moving and bulging so that was why we thought teething but someone mentioned to me that it could be because she doesn't self settle anymore?

?!?  bit unsure what to do.  We are happy with the later bedtime.  We've gone from starting bf at 5:30 to on non daycare days to starting at about 6:20 which is really nice as we get more family time in the evening.  She really is a tired lo!!  We are trying to just let her lead us but the eventual plan would be a 7pm bedtime.  Am thinking the move to the toddler room at daycare in the next couple of months may help push her nap and then we can hopefully get that around the 12:30-1 time which will in itself solve the bedtime :-)
If we are aiming for a 7pm bedtime what time would you suggest the nap and for how long?

Offline Jazelle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2015, 19:13:44 pm »
So far it's been a disaster...he was napping fine before starting this transition...maybe I should have just staid there  :(

It's taking me 45 min every time to put him to sleep/nap

Our schedule today was
7 am wu
10:15 CN but didn't fall asleep until 11 ( i woke him up at 11:30)
1:15pm nap but didn't fall asleep until 2pm ( woke up by himself at 3:30)
7:30 BT but didn't fall asleep until 9 pm

Should I just remove the morning nap all together? We 've been on this transition only for a week. Or am I doing anything wrong?
Help please!