Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 67970 times)

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:41 am »
Arghhhhh.. So she doesn't fall asleep until 4hrs45mins then only sleeps 1hr10mins. I tried to resettle for 45 mins too. What the ?!!! I haaaaaaaaate this transition soooo much. Now I have no idea when to try for a catnap 😣😣😣😣😣 how on earth do babys cope with going cold turkey to one nap?!!! Oh how I'd love a 1.5hour first nap 😞

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2015, 19:10:44 pm »
Oh dear sorry, I feel responsible :-[ Well I guess she's not one for going down UT unless she's ill? So in the end she went down after a very slightly longer than usual overall A time, but that included two lengthy periods in her cot where she wasn't settling? So she probably wouldn't have been as tired as she would have been after 4h 45mins proper up time and I guess that's why she didn't sleep so long. How was the rest of the day and night? Does sound to me like you're just going to have to push... When you have APOP'd a pm CN, how long was it? Can you make it really short, like just 10mins? As you know I don't really have a feel for long/short, but it does sound like she prefers her long A times...

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2015, 22:45:23 pm »
She always used to like a short first a!! But I guess with me pushing over the last couple of days her body's like, ummmm no I'm not ready yet !! Oh no hun it's not your fault !!! It's so great having others to chat to about this ! Will just continue on with the longer first A and hope that nap starts to lengthen. And I'll have to come to terms with the fact that from about 4/4.30-5 she'll be having a catnap on me for a while! Lucky she's the only child 😜 how is your dd getting on ?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2015, 18:08:55 pm »
Yeah they just need to get that little bit older don't they, and we need to wait it out the best we can in the meantime :P you surely can't be far from one nap though, hang on in there!

DD's ok, well her naps are usually ok (well more often than not at the moment) and BT seems to have got better, but the nights are still not great, several NWs and usually EW... Wondering if I need to push BT further, but don't want to do that after a bad EW like this morning  as she's just be OT. Then again in some ways it's easier having the good naps to fit around DS and CM etc, rather than having good nights and bad naps.

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2015, 02:11:10 am »
Hi Ladies, what are the main reasons for capping a long lunch nap?  I don't think I have a problem yet..... but its jumping around in the back of my mind?!?!? 

Offline trimbler

« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2015, 19:05:17 pm »
You might need to start capping it if they start struggling to settle for BT early enough to get enough night sleep. What's 'enough' will vary between LOs, after the 2-1 we found DS got really tired the next day if he'd had less than 11h. Or you might start to get UT nights, perhaps with nw and/or EW, so you need to cap so that they're tired enough to get enough night sleep in again. Does that make sense? If you're not having these issues, enjoy the long nap ;)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2015, 00:29:09 am »
Thanks Trimbler!  It's only early days but I have noticed her overnight sleep is creeping back from 12-10 as her day nap is stretching from 2-3 hours.  Think I'll watch for another week and if it continues I might tweak it a little bit.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2015, 12:53:30 pm »
With DS I found that just shaving 15mins off his long nap made a noticeable difference ;)

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2015, 06:55:21 am »
Hey Trimbler:) hope your weeks going good. And hi to the other ladies 😊 I've been trying a capped 30 min nap then a longer nap again, as her 1 nap after 4.5hoUr Wt was too short. Basically just trying to prolong the two nap thing for a couple more months (or 1 month 😁).
Monday we started new routine. 3-3.5hours first WT, depending on how good her night was. She won't go down at 3hours if she had a good night.
So a bit like this
WU anywhere between 6/7.
3-3.5 hours
Nap - 30mins
3-3.5 hours - 1.5-1.75 mins
In the afternoon it takes her 10-20 mins to fall asleep but she's definitely not fighting the nap like she used to if we let her sleep however long she wants in the morning, which is great.
However, bedtime and after the afternoon nap is weird. She seems soooo tired.
Almost OT when I put her down at 2.5hours after waking up from nap. I would of thought she would beable to handle at least 3hours. She's Also taking 30 mins of on and off crying to get to sleep. I don't intervene as it upsets her more. She's been waking between 4/5.30. I feed her then she goes back to sleep for 1-2hours. So getting between 10.5-11.5 hours of night sleep.
Hmmmm not too sure how to proceed...maybe it's just a phase ? The bedtime battle I mean ?

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2015, 00:43:59 am »
Hi ladies, think we need a tweak and was hoping for your suggestions.  Our day is looking like this

we 6-6:30
cn 9 (capped 15 mins)
nap 11:30 (2-3 hours)
bt 6:45

The later bedtime is a new thing which we are liking as it seems to have stopped the ew BUT they are creeping back.  For about the last week or so her nights are getting shorter and she is waking between 4:30-5:30 again.  We were getting about 11.5 hours over night and combined with the nap I was happy with how much sleep she was getting.  Nights are now about 10-10.5 and with her incisors just cutting the nw can be quite long.  So really isn't getting enough sleep.

I like the 11:30 nap where it is because if she wakes 2-2:30 I still have a good awake period before a 7pm bedtime.  So I'm guessing the cn needs to go.  My only concern is she is ot at the mo and also has a bit of sleep debt building up because of the short nights, ew and nw.  She is also pretty wobbly on her feet and accident prone because of the ot.  Its a bit dog eat dog really  :-\

Any suggestions?

tia x

Offline trimbler

« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2015, 19:16:05 pm »
First mum, do you think the EWs are due to OT and she may need EBT to catch up? Or will she not catch up after EBT? Please ignore if you think that would just lead to even earlier EW :P If you were able to get her to catch up then perhaps you could try pushing BT back a bit once she's well rested again? I wouldn't worry about BT getting late during the 2-1 before making the switch.

Laura - hmmm... Well, sleep's not so great here this week, but thanks for asking ;) so not feeling in the best place to give advice :P Do you think she needs to sleep a bit longer for her long nap, when she wakes? Or do you already give her a chance to resettle and she just can't? Clutching at straws here... Could she be having a growth spurt? I only ask as she's taking a feed at the EW - or is that just to get her back off again and not really a proper feed? Have you tried a slightly shorter A time between the naps? I think that's probably what I would try next, 1.5h after a decent A time can be OT, mine will often have a little cry around then and go back to sleep again for another 30mins. My own feeling with short/long is you want to be gradually moving the pm nap earlier as the am nap gets shorter, and stretching the last A time to BT, but perhaps she's already tired out after up to 7h A time total before the pm nap with just a 30min am nap, iyswim? So then she struggles to do a longer A to BT. What do you think?

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2015, 04:29:58 am »
First mum, do you think the EWs are due to OT and she may need EBT to catch up?

Thanks Trimber yip I think your right its the ot.  We did ebt last night, just 15 minutes early and she woke at 5:30 and I could hear her playing in her cot happily till 6am when she shouted for attention :P No cn today and doing well so far.

We are goin to do the ebt for a few more days and see how she goes.

Thanks

Offline trimbler

« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2015, 18:32:47 pm »
Ok so she may have ended up with a little more night sleep than she has had recently? Hope that continues and you can get back on track - EWs can be so frustrating!

We've had rough nights, not sure how much is discomfort and how much needing to push, so trying some gentle BT pushing and we'll see what happens. She finally has a tooth which feels nearer the gum than the others, so perhaps her first tooth will cut in the next few weeks...

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2015, 19:04:43 pm »
Teeth are so frustrating aren't they!  We had a night waking at 10pm last night and I can see the incisor just about to break the gum.  When I put gel on her gums she wimpered  :-[

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2015, 02:25:33 am »
Thanks Hun, I see what you mean. Makes sense. I have to APOP that first nap. So going forward. Should I give her a 45 min morning nap, or try have her going to sleep at 3hours WT and no later after the 30 min nap ? OR do I need to shave off the morning nap by 5 mins ? She does still seem tired after a 1.5-1.75 afternoon nap. But won't resettle at all.
She woke up at 5.15 am this morning, was asleep by 6.50... So not sure what that's all about.  Trying to wean the early morning/night feed. So usually I would of fed her and popped her into bed with me and she would sleep another hour or so. Didn't do that this morning. And she wouldn't settle. Just cried. I wonder if instead of just giving her a quick cuddle in the morning, and leaving her, I should stand by her cot and resettle? Then she'll get used to going back to sleep at this time without a feed?
I've finally cut the BF before the morning nap too 👏 now just got before arvo and night to go !