Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 68023 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:55 am »
Laura I'm thinking those 1.5-1.75 naps are OT, not tired enough to resettle (I rarely have success resettling after an hour of nap even if DS is tired) but not long enough to be rested.  I'd be tempted to pull the pm nap slightly earlier after the 30 minute am nap and see if that makes a difference to nap length or how rested she is in the afternoon.  With your mornings I would probably resettle her if you can, if DS wakes early he will rarely go back if I WIWO but if I lie next to his cot and shh or give him a gentle back rub he will at least try to sleep again.  In any case I feel it's more restful than crying until WU time. 

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2015, 08:08:20 am »
Same here Laura, anything earlier than 6am and we try to resettle.  Sometimes success and other times she is just quiet and restful.  Early start for us  :-[

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2015, 13:01:43 pm »
Hi ladies,
Quick question... when LOs are ill and they happen to sleep in, what have you done with nap times? Just watch for signs?

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2015, 21:30:26 pm »
I've tended to let them sleep in a maximum of half an hour (if on one nap) and tried to keep the nap around the same time, but pd earlier if they obviously need that, and let them nap as long as they need, again do EBT if necessary. Depends on how ill they are etc, but sometimes they just need loads more sleep for a day or two. Get well soon, Max :-*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2015, 06:41:58 am »
Get well Max :-* I've just tended to let them sleep on and then watch for cues but often nap around the normal time x

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:51 am »
Me too. When Im's sick I just let her do what she wants.
Ok thanks ladies. She's 13.5 months now. Do you think I possibly need to cut the morning nap back to 25 mins to achieve a longer afternoon nap ?
I put her down at 2hrs50mins but she doesn't actually fall asleep to 3.15-3.30hrs.

We stayed at parents in law last night as we're painting. So wasn't the best night, I had to settle her to sleep for bt, so of course we had some NW's. 😣 hopefully tonight is better.

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2015, 07:24:00 am »
Yip same here.  I try to keep nap about the same and go for an ebt.

Fingers crossed for a better night Laura.

My lo is nearly 16 months and we started the transition officially at about 14.5 months.  For the month prior to that her morning sleep was around the 30 minute mark about 3.5 hours after wu.  I stayed there for about a month and then reduced to 15 minutes.  This is when she started to really lengthen her main nap.  I was giving the cn about 5 days a week as she is in daycare 2 days and it never happens.  On really busy active days I can push her through and found this was happening more and more.  We are now 5 days no cn and she goes down really well at 11:30 for 2-2.5 hours.  I'm always watching for signs but more often than not now the morning has flown by and we are sitting down to lunch together. 

I think if you try anything you need to do it for about a week so you can really see the benefits (or not) and then you can tweak again as needed.  We are now at the point where I don't look at the a time (unless its a super ew) and go with a set nap time.  I know I've always got an ebt up my sleeve if needed.

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2015, 04:18:54 am »
Thanks first mum. What A time did you do after the 30 min catnap ?
I've been doing it for 2 weeks now. :)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2015, 07:43:43 am »
It was when I was still hanging on to the 2 naps so the 30 mins was at 9am and then down again at 1pm, so 3.5 hours awake. Both naps were rubbish and it took me awhile to "click" that it was time to change.  We tried cold turkey for a couple of days with 1 nap which was about 10:45 and just rode out the afternoon with an ebt, couple more days and pushed to 11 and again couple more days and got to 11:30.  I stayed here for about another week still keeping an ebt of 6pm.  The ew started to creep in and I thought she wasn't doing too well so found that a short cn in the car on the way to something at 9am was helping.  Kept the nap at 11:30 and over the space of 5 days the length of her main nap got better and better. This had the knock on of stretching her bedtime back out to about 6:45.

We had a couple of battles for the 11:30 nap so I figured it was time for the cn to go.  Since taking the cn away bedtime has settled at 6:30 and will keep it here for a bit, before trying to push for 7pm.

Does that make sense?

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2015, 16:21:07 pm »
Great description of your plan, firstmum. How are things lately?

Lauraaims, how was the night?? Hopefully better than the other night with Nws. And to echo firstmum, I also reduced CN to 15 min for a little while before dropping it.

Thanks ladies and Katherine and Trimbler for the feedback on lay ins. Naps have been horrible for us the past couple of days (45min or less) and today, resistence but thankfully he fell asleep. He's slept well enough before even with congestion so not sure what it is. Molars? Last night was very restless for both of us. Many NWs.

We were on our way to a set 12:15 nap time with around 6:00am WU until he got congested and nights were so broken. Before this we were hovering around 11:45/12:00. Naps were inconsistent between 1.10-2.20. Not sure what causes the shorter naps. His nights also vary,10-11 sometimes around 9 (regardless of nap length).

Katherine, how's B at nursery and home for naps? Nights? And is he better? (Will also check in BC ;)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2015, 00:27:37 am »
Hey Ginger, that sounds really rough!  Have you tried a vaporiser?  I know not for everyone but we have found it a life saver.  Livy has had 3 really bad colds this winter and the coughing at night got really bad.  We noticed an immediate improvement once we started using one.

Otherwise we are doing ok!  I've given notice at Livy's daycare as I'd just had enough of the inconsistency and them not following our routine at home.  It was only 2 days a week but the 3 days following are rough as she is so ot.  I have enrolled her with a homebased carer and we start at the beginning of October.  My next challenge is to get her ss for her lunchtime nap and undoing all the bad habits since starting daycare.  Any tips welcome :-)

How was your night Laura?

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2015, 02:24:00 am »
Argh would love tips on self settling for arvo nap too ! Ever since Im started crawling she started finding it hard to ss. She can at night, but hardly ever for the arvo nap.
I have to stand next to her until she falls asleep.
I'm hoping once she goes to just the one nap it'll be easier for her. This two nap thing can be so tricky !! I tried today again for a 3hour WT before arvo nap, but she just doesn't fall asleep until 3.5. Still asleep now but only been 45mins so far.
Night was good!! Well, asleep at 7, WU at 5..back to sleep 5.30-6.30.
Her long 12-12.5hour nights are over Im afraid.

Yes Ginger, the vapourisers with a decongestant oil in it are amaaaaazing !!!
Hope the bugs go away quick.
Looking forward to summer here ! It's been such a cold sick winter for us too FirstMum!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:29 am »
Hey ladies yes we are doing good when teeth and colds don't get in the way :) I woke B after 2h from his nap yesterday and he slept 11.5h overnight :D  Hooray, it's so nice when it works!!  He sleeps well at nursery, a little too well at times ::) believe me not a problem I thought we'd ever have!  But we've had a lot of BT resistance when he does a nap much over 2h hence the starting to cap.  Though randomly sometimes he'll only have an hour or so then BT is rather OT and silly....

I think we are done with 2-1 - yay.  Hang in there everyone x

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2015, 23:46:44 pm »
Hi ladies, hope all is will with you all!

My lo has been pretty consistent with 1 nap at 11:30 for some time now.  Did you experience a really tired phase with your LO?  My LO is 16 months nearly 16.5 and the last week or so has really struggled to make it to 11:30 and even snuck in a cn on Sunday.  Today I sounded like a total banshee trying to keep her awake heading to the supermarket.  She has shortened her nights slightly with an on-going cough but if its quite significant I just do an ebt.  If anything leading up to this I thought we were heading to a new nap time of 12.

Any ideas?

TIA x

Offline MayaandEvasmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2015, 13:25:14 pm »
Help!!!! Eva is now 13 months and we have been struggling with EW since march :(.  I was just abut starting to accept she was LSN as we only seem to get 10-10.5 at night regardless to daytime sleep.  We went on holiday a few weeks ago and I thought we had cracked the routine, we were getting long naps (still 2) and although BT was falling later than at home things we more consistent, sme night were still 10.5 but naps were good.  This continued for about 2 weeks back home, managing to get 11 hours at night and 1.5-2 hrs daytime, then it fell apart again :(.  We are now getting EW, short naps.  I don't really know what to do tbh, my head says early BT but I am getting so much resistance from hubby who says later.  Our older daughter was always a nightmare with early rising and his argument is I never got her sorted and we did things my way then.  I really don't know where to go from here and feel really lost, she used to be such a good sleeper then it just changed overnight.  Everyday at the moment is all over the place, but this is what we aim for.

WU 5am
1st nap 9 for 30 mins
2nd nap 12.30-1pm but this could be 40 mins or 1hr 10
BT 7pm

We have tried longer am nap and then had longer A time inbetween  also.

Today she did 30 mins am and 1hr pm.

She self settles but suddenly cant get herself through next cycle.

I need help putting a plan together, I do have to do school run in the pm so that afternoon nap cant finish anylater than 3pm.

Thank you x