Author Topic: Have you found a sippy cup brand that works well with nursing Mom's?  (Read 2009 times)

stephanne2

I was just reading the handout about transitioning to a sippy cup in the FAQ board.  We offer LO a little bit of water for now in a sippy with supper, but she's not a fan (to be expected).  I think it's less of what she's drinking or what she's drinking it out of than the cup we're using though, so I'm looking for brand suggestions. 

First, we gave her one with the silicone nipple/straw-type things and she LOVED it.  But, as a nursing Mom, I'm not sure I want her learning to "bite" to get her drink. No, thank you--we get enough of that as it is with her teething and just gnawing when she's not really hungry or too tired!! Yowsers! 

We also tried one of the harder plastic cups, but with the valve she couldn't suck hard enough to get anything and that made her mad (naturally). With the valve removed, she dumped all the water out all over herself and THAT upset her, too. (P.S. She's quite the fickle pickle, mind you.) 

I'm sure it's just a "practice-makes-perfect" thing here, but I was just curious if any of you have stumbled on a training/sippy cup (appropriate for a 7MO) that you like that's nursing mom friendly?

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: Have you found a sippy cup brand that works well with nursing Mom's?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 14:23:32 pm »
i would just keep practicing with what you have or try different cups. try with out the valve. have you thought about just using a regular straw? i nursed both mine and my DD figured out the straw a lot quicker than DS. just depends on the baby.

i buy alot of the cheap ones you can toss (toss n go?) can't remember the name.
heather

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 14:28:41 pm »
Have you tried a straw sippy?  We use this one:  http://www.mommyville.ca/cups-mealtime/lil-gripper-cups/Straw-Trainer-Cup  Breast fed babies tend to get how to suck out of a straw really quickly.  I actually prefer all the Playtex sippy cups, even the ones with the spouts.  I've never had an issue with my babies learning to bite the nipple from using sippy cups.  I've been bitten on occasion while they're teething but nothing that has ever been a problem, and we have used all sorts of cups.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

stephanne2

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 20:14:28 pm »
Thanks... I totally forgot about the straw options.  I haven't seen them around in the store lately, but looking at your link I remember having something like that with DD1.   This is the silicone trainer cup we have now  http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-2-Pack-Spill-Super-Spout/dp/B0037LLGD4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1372277370&sr=8-6&keywords=playtex+straw+trainer+cup... but they do have to bite to get flow and that's what I was nervous about. Maybe I am just fretting over nothing?  She literally only tried it once, but that was during a time when she was already biting more at the breast and I didn't want it to make that situation worse so I stopped the sippy straightaway!

I appreciate the suggestions! Thank you1

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 20:30:02 pm »
DD has been using this straw cup since she was 4 months - http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Handle-Straw-Months-Colors/dp/B000Y2GY40/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1372278537&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=nuby+straw+trainer+cup.  It didn't cause any problems with her biting when nursing and she loves to drink from her cup!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 21:05:48 pm »
I was also going to suggest a straw cup. We used the pigeon mag-mag one. It had a small straw which was ideal. Withe the mag mag one it had a little valve, but i just cut the end off as i also didn't want him to have to bite on the straw- AND it seemed like a real struggle for him!! Also remember that they don't have too much water whie they are still having a fe breastfeeds a day- they just aren't interested! http://www.pigeonbaby.com.au/drinking.php we used the straw one...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!