Author Topic: Dairy Challenge  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Dairy Challenge
« on: June 27, 2013, 17:03:41 pm »
Hello, we are starting our dairy challenge for my LO but not sure exactly if we are doing it right. The GI doc just wanted us to offer yogurt 1tb 1st day 2 tb 2nd day and so on. I wanted to go a little slower than that. So this is my plan let me know if it's too slow etc.

Day 1-3 Baked milk. I'm offering one meal with baked milk like pancakes or bread with milk in the ingredients. If I don't see any change in his sleep or poop (only 2 things that lead us to a milk allergy in the first place)
Day 4-6 Melted cheese like Chicken with cheese melted on top, or eggs, or pizza. If all goes well
Day 7-9 Yogurt (greek) If all goes well
Day 10-11 do a milk trial 1st bottle of the day he gets 8oz so Day 10-11 do 1oz milk 7oz formula Day
Day 12-13 do 2oz milk 6oz formula

and so on until we are on full milk? Is that too fast for the process to slow? Is that who to transition to full milk? Should I keep the bottles mixed for longer?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
Re: Dairy Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 00:54:24 am »
anyone?

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:04 am »
Hi Siobhan,

Is there any risk of a true allergy? For my DS he had never had actual allergic reactions in the past but his GI still cautioned us to go slowly just in case of an allergic reaction.

So we did 1 ml first day, 5 ml second day, 15 ml third day, etc. We used milk-based formula but I guess you could use 3.25% milk if that is what you intend to use if it's a success?

I think it is more cautious since you control the quantity he takes in, whereas with the pancakes, if he eats a lot it could be a whole lot of dairy for an allergic LO? Also I'm not sure about this, but I think cooked milk can be tolerated better for MSPI LO's but it does not make a difference in the case of a true allergy whether it is cooked or not ???

I think if he does not react to the ml initially, then I would do your protocol and slowly introduce.  Although different types of dairy can cause different reactions so you may want to stick to one initially? For example my DS gets badly constipated on cheese but is fine on all other types of dairy.

HTH
Elise

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:28:09 am »
Good luck Hun. So he is allergic, not intolerant? I intolerant it could be possible to take longer to see any reaction YK?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:25 am »
Some children who are allergic to milk can actually tolerate baked milk, which is why we are waiting for a date to do a baked milk challenge for my ds even though he had an ana reaction to fresh milk.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:35:50 am »
I guess I used the wrong terminology. As far as I know he's milk intolerant not allergic. Though I'm not sure the difference really? I guess he's never had an allergic reaction no. He was diagnosed as MSPI at 10 weeks of age along with reflux. We've almost weaned him off his refluxs meds but I'm keeping the last dose just to make sure it's not a reflux issue we see when doing the dairy challenge if that makes sense. The GI doc said if I did the yogurt challenge I should see a change in his stools around day 4 but I'm so hesitant to just jump right to yogurt iykwim.

I see what you are saying with the straight milk, my only concern is that it's like jumping into the deep end of the pool with no wading in first? If that makes sense. I'm not too concerned about the pancakes becuase he doesn't eat a lot. Maybe 1 small pancake if that and it's 3/4 cup of milk in the whole batch (10 pancakes). Not sure of the match but don't think that's too much?
Although different types of dairy can cause different reactions so you may want to stick to one initially?

This is kind of why I came up with my protocol? I don't think I'm comfortable starting with milk right away we just had such a bad time and still do with his eating that I'm just scared.

Some children who are allergic to milk can actually tolerate baked milk, which is why we are waiting for a date to do a baked milk challenge for my ds even though he had an ana reaction to fresh milk.
I've read some studies that introduction to bakes milk can actually help children get over their intolerance because it's introducing it very slowly at a basic form if that makes sense.

I haven't seen any change in his stools the past 3 days although he hasn't truly gotten more than a bit of baked milk at one meal. Should I just bite the bullet and try yogurt and skip the melted cheese part?

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 13:39:06 pm »
((((Hugs)))) it's'so scary!!

It's'great that he has had no adverse reaction yet :)

Fx it continues to go well, keep us posted!
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 15:50:02 pm »
Thanks. I guess I'll do the cheese test tomorrow.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 01:37:47 am »
IIWM hon I'd go slowly, as Sara said intolerances can be sneakier to show up. So I'd definitely go with the cheese first. And try to keep everything else stable otherwise I'd be driving myself crazy with questions about what food is causing any potential symptoms
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 11:26:18 am »
Ok. Yesterday was day 4 of baked milk and haven't seen a change in his stool so that's good. Still sleeping ok no wakings in the night or anything from pain. One more day of baked milk and then tomorrow I thought we'd try cheese. I hear Parmesan is a good place to start because the proteins are broken down more than other cheese. Thought I'd put it in his eggs.

**Siobhan**

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 18:48:26 pm »
Just hopping on board to give you some good vibes for the dairy challenge~~~~ (Also, so jealous that it is going well so far, lol!!!)
-Nadia

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 22:07:45 pm »
well, we tried cheese today. Not sure how well it went. This morning he did not want the eggs mixed with cheese. So this afternoon I offered a little bit of the cheese from my pizza. He liked it a lot. However his poop today was not normal. It looked off and it wasn't the normal playdough consistency. He also has red around his bum as if he's getting diaper rash. He hasn't had diaper rash since he was 10 weeks old. I have not introduce any other foods I don't think that could cause diaper rash other than raspberries but he's been eating those for a few weeks now.we'll see over the next few days how it goes on cheese.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 00:58:53 am »
(((hugs)))

IIWM, I would definitely keep on going, I do notice sometimes small reactions like that for M when I introduce something completely new.
Elise

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:48:21 am »
Thanks.  Its the butt rash that worries me. Will try a little more cheese tomorrow. Can you  suggest a good cheesw? He did not like parmesan.

**Siobhan**

Offline ENMS

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 13:17:36 pm »
We usually go with cheddar. It took a long time before M accepted cheese, but now he loves it so much I have to restrict it bc it constipates him!

How's'the rash today?
Elise