Author Topic: 22 month old - what is going on...  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« on: May 31, 2013, 13:22:58 pm »
Hello,
I'm back...

My DS is 22 months old and for the last week or so he's been having numerous NW (usually around 11 and again around 2-3am).  He normally STTN.

He is a chronic EW, usually up around 530-6am most days.  We are going to implement the lights on a timer to help teach him to go back to sleep as soon as the last canine is through completely. The last one is just poking through and moving down.

He has been sick with pink eye and a cold - but this has been going on for a few days before that started.

He is super clingy, whining, his naps are short.

He goes down for BT okay, is an independent sleeper. Just wondering what's up and if anyone has any ideas...

his normal routine is as follows:

WU - 530-6am
Nap - 1230/1 - usually for 1/5 - 2 hours
BT - 700-715

TIA....

"But the fighter still remains"

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 22 month old - what is going on...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 20:45:39 pm »
When L wakes at night that is often the first sign that she is about to start a cold (eg a day or so before the cold sctually seems to start). Do you think the NWs could be sickness related and he was just feeling a bit rough before the symptoms showed?

Clinginess during the day also sounds like illness/teething in my experience with L. Although could be something developmental. In either case though I think you just have to wait for it to pass

Maybe some one else has other ideas..
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 18:08:12 pm »
Okay, still getting the NW, EW and now some BT nonsense too!

Not sure what is going on...

Is there a regression around 23/24 months maybe? Developmental leap?

The other night he was up around 2 am  just calling out mummy, mummy, not fussing or upset, just wide awake...

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts at all...

Confused and tired...xo

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 18:21:32 pm »
DS went through a big regression at 2 years and it is quite common....we had the odd NWing and a lot of messing about at naptime. It did settle but took about 6 weeks - sorry!

DD tends to do stuff like this when  she is either sick or OT so I would see how it is in a few days before changing anything.
Hugs - always something eh!?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 18:46:41 pm »
Oh my goodness it sure is...
Okay, I'll ride it out another week or so and see where we are.  His language has exploded and he is doing some major developmental (gross/fine/cognitive) stuff too that is amazing us everyday.
Combo of a bunch of things too!

Thanks!

Offline Fionabee

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 20:50:30 pm »
Hi !!
Our son is also 22 months and has been showing some signs of clinginess during the day and definitely at BT. Personally I wasn't too worried about it, but now that I see that your son is at the exact same age and is showing some similar signs, I thought I'd raise my hand and tell you.
Actually, we've also had a couple of nights of NW and BT fussing (he wants me to sleep with him, after being an independent sleeper, STTN for about a year). We've got a couple of canines coming down and a lot of new words and learning going on as well. I had put it down mostly to a change in season. Our work schedule changes drastically at this time too, and a visit from many relatives that we're enjoying. No illness here luckily.
I hope things improve for you... and for us. (Actually Tom slept TTN last night, so I guess things are already getting a bit better...)

Offline trinity33

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:38:54 am »
Think we are in exactly the same boat. Ds is 22 months and has always been a chronic ew too. 5.30/6. He goes to nursery and has a nap from 12.45/1-2.30. Bt 7.30 that's been the routine for several months.

Last couple of weeks had lots of screaming at bt. Especially if I leave the room, but if I'm in the room just wants to play. Then nw with big screams at 1/2 and 4. In the past he's been really good at self settling and often goes back to sleep quicker than if I go in. But at the moment I think it's sa. We're also having a lot of tantrums when he gets back from nursery, but they say he's been in great spirits at nursery. He is pretty spirited so when he's happy he's really happy but is fairly intense when he's not happy!
Last night he screamed until 8.10 then nw at 3.40,4.40 and up for day at 5.20 :-( so very short night even by his standards!
Really not sure whether to ride it out and assume developmental or whether to change routine.

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
is there any teething going on?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline trinity33

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 15:34:31 pm »
Hi Catherine, I didn't think there's teething happening at the moment - although he has the last set of molars stiill to go. But then this morning I noticed him chewing on his hand, so it has made me wonder. He doesn't like me looking in his mouth these days though.

He does seem to be having a development spurt on counting at the moment too.

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 16:57:19 pm »
Things on our end have gotten marginally better.  Still get NW (last night at 455) when he woke up screaming...but managed to resettle him back to sleep.

My DS has been chewing on anything and everything and rubbing his ear so I'm pretty sure we've got a molar on the move...

Offline cath~

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 18:24:45 pm »
L would never let us check her molars either! Was so frustrating ::)

Hope things improve for you all soon, there can be so much going on at this age.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline trinity33

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 19:53:01 pm »
Thanks Catherine. 

Glad to hear you might be coming out the other side mattsmummy.

I've tried giving ds meds at bt tonight and just stayed in his room until he fell asleep 50 mins! He did all his cute tricks to trying at get me to play, then flopped around for ages. But at least there wasn't the screaming from doing the wiwo. Just don't want it to become a habit iykwim.