Author Topic: eating out when dairy free - tips?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
eating out when dairy free - tips?
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:24:17 pm »
We are on week 3 of our dairy trial and we are doing ok... :P

Next week I am taking Henry to Legoland and we are staying the night  ;D
All i can think about is how we will manage this food issue. I am thinking jacket potatoes but then get a bit stuck  ???

I will take a big bag of snacks but those sort of places are a nightmare for eating even remotely healthily let alone dairy free and I am just worried we will spend the whole time searching for food...also don't want him to feel 'too' different around his friend yk?

Any tips for me would be amazing.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: eating out when dairy free - tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:57 pm »
I think I wouldn't worry about healthy just at Legoland and then it wont be as hard because at least he can eat French fries! Anything with bread or breading is likely to have dairy  ::) I would probably take loads of veg and fruit and not worry too much about actual meals, it is only a day or two. When I was soy and dairy free for L's MSPI I always had to take something with me in case there would be nothing I could eat (which was nearly everywhere  :P)
Katt

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 13:20:17 pm »
When I was nursing and DS was younger and we did dairy free I did this a lot and it was not so bad. I just had to think ahead and have some go to meal items I could ask for specifically. Fast food is harder b/c almost EVERYTHING has dairy in it somewhere.

Most places carry olive oil so you can ask for food to be prepared with that as opposed to butter. Fried eggs, pastas, veggies, plain chicken, etc. can be made with olive oil and some seasonings.

You can buy dairy free breads and make classic kid sandwiches like PB&J and bring along. Most kids won't notice the other being "different" because that is something they would typically eat so won't be a big deal that it's not purchased there.

You can bring premade grilled chicken or pasta salad if you have an ice pack, etc. Salad can be with an oil based dressing rather than dairy based. Canola mayo over here does not have dairy by Hellmans and our health food store has non-dairy organic choices that I have used for tuna etc.

Fruits are always good.

Bring lots of snacks as you said but some can be added to a meal so make it more complete looking and filling if you can only get one main course item that you've thought about ahead of time.

I really did ask for things to be made special and explained there was a food issue for DS and most people were more than happy to oblige.

Best of luck!!!!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 17:35:00 pm »
On the legoland Windsor website it states that they can cater for special dietary needs. It also states that it is best to ring them at least 24 hours in advance to find out the best options and that it is best to eat in the restaurants early when it is high season.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 18:57:59 pm »
I think I wouldn't worry about healthy just at Legoland and then it wont be as hard because at least he can eat French fries!

I know here in the US some fries are made with trace amounts of milk.  Not sure if you're avoiding trace amounts as well?  Do they have a website that would show the options for food there (sorry I don't know anything about Legoland but it sounds fun  :P )  I found a lot of places had websites that listed ingredients if you want to plan ahead and most had a book in the restaurant with ingredients.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:37 am »
oh wow - kelly thanks so much. Did not even think they would do that but will def call!!!

Thanks to everyone - H will not eat french fries anyway so we are ok there....x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:35:14 am »
Haha he is the first kid apart from Leorah I know who doesn't like chips or fries though she actually scoffed some down at my friend's house apparently  ::)
Katt

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
We have just managed 2 weeks in France dairy wheat and egg free and managed OK! On the website they have a rotisserie place so you could get chicken, veg and potato there I think?

Most places are very geared up for allergies. Esp somewhere like that should have a number of options available. even we can find something at most restaurants these days.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 19:44:48 pm »
Haha he is the first kid apart from Leorah I know who doesn't like chips or fries
yes...they are rare!

I called them today and they said to speak to the chef on arrival and he will cook for him...nice :)

Hotel not so good - we have milk with green top or a blue top....umm can I bring my own and put it in the fridge....if there is room!!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 19:59:42 pm »
Could you get those little cartons of milk? Like juice cartons? Know you can get rice milk like that. Not seen oat though.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 20:21:48 pm »
How many days are you going and are there shops nearby?  How long is travelling time?  would it make sense to bring everything in a cool box for H? 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 15:27:12 pm »
If it isn't for that many days, I'd just not offer milk at all. Unless it's a preferred/comfort food for him. He'll be fine to miss it a few days nutrition wise.