Author Topic: Over-whelmed, where to start? Allergy testing?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline LearningMummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Over-whelmed, where to start? Allergy testing?
« on: July 05, 2013, 19:13:37 pm »
Hi, not sure where to start really .... I have 3 children, my eldest was a really colicky baby, sicky, blood and mucus in nappies, particularly bad if I ate wheat and fed him, I think that caused the pains and dairy caused the blood and mucus in his stools. But by about a 18 months he seemed to get better.
Baby 2 - no colicky pains, some blood in nappies, fine with all food now, does get a red rash behind his knee's from time to time but not sure what from.

Baby 3 - currently 10 months and suffers with red raw patches behind his knee's and currently has itchy creases - elbows, wrists, ankles and really red behind his knee's which can end up open sores. To begin with he had really dry and itchy scalp and face, this eventually got better, but now he has the creases problems. Using any washing liquids or creams makes his skin react so I literally just use the mild steroid cream to keep on top of the sore patches.

So .... I suspected dairy and wheat ..... so only gave him comfort formula from when I stopped breastfeeding at about 6/7 months and started weaning on vegies, no other dairy. I think sweet potato made his legs worse!
Fast forward to now .... a week and a half ago my brother visited and came down with a sickness bug, 4 days later my son started being sick in the afternoon, evening and night. When I took him off bottles it stopped, so tried formula and he was sick again, so tried just food, it stopped, so tried oat milk and he was sick again, so dr said just give food and water and try a little formula..... he was sick again. Dr. doesn't see a link to food being the cause of bad skin and sickness, I then realised it may be gluten in the oat milk and would account for his sore skin and also constipation.
So have just had him on pears, chicken dinners etc. and he seemed to be able to pass stools more frequently but he still cries as he does it and they seem quite dry still but he has only been off the milk and gluten for a couple of days so maybe that is why....

Anyway, Im wondering now if pears are making his skin sore as his skin has gone really bad again but can't pinpoint what food so will keep him off them and see. Am planning on giving him new potatoes, chicken or beef, brocolli for meals, maybe some scrambled egg (without milk or butter) for brekkie and maybe skip on fruit for a few days.

So as you can tell Im in a bit of a mess with it all and drs are being useless, Im worried about his calcium levels as has had no milk really for a good week or 2 as was throwing it up, but am reluctant to try the milk again as I want to see if his skin improves and think his bowel movements are better, although he is still crying on and off for an hour before he actually goes and seems like he stops himself going.

Is there a 'best' alternative to milk or can I just give food and a supplement? I tried lactose free milk by the way and he still threw that back up a few hours later.

Allergy testing ... what can be done at 10 months old and how is it done, accuracy? Do I need a gp referral?

He is awake for 1 to 2 hours in the night scratching and he keeps looking for his bottle too in the night and first thing as he seems hungry and his legs def. look thinner. So I want this sorted asap

help!

Offline LearningMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Over-whelmed, where to start? Allergy testing?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 19:30:39 pm »
ps - im in the uk so wondered about the allergy testing here

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 20:18:02 pm »
I'd get down to the GP sharpish and get him tested.  What were you wondering about allergy testing?  The GP can do a RAST test, which is a blood test which can show up dairy and wheat allergies (but not sensitivites), though I know we were asked to do to hospital for the blood test for coeliac.  It might depend on your GP.  No harm getting the test done asap.  TBH, given the restricted nature of his diet and the total absence of milk, I'd ask for a paed or dietician referral as fast as they can.

The terrible thing is that he'll need gluten and diary in his diet if you want him tested for those.   :-[  I'd ask first and then reintroduce.

There are lots of folks on here who will have more direct experience and some advice for you.

Sounds very tough!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 20:20:02 pm by *Anne* »
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline LearningMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 19:55:36 pm »
Thank you, my dr is not particularly suportive, I think because to her his symptoms seem 'managable' so she doesn't seem to see the point in putting him through testing etc. as she thinks he will grow out of it. Weird thing is that she has a grown up son who suffers with very bad eczema and reactions etc. so I thought she would be a bit more helpful.

I have had to put him back on his usual formula as he is loosing weight and his skin is still bad, he is so unhappy and not satisfied with food alone, I gave him 4 oz's earlier and he was only a little bit sick later on, I then gave him 5oz's at bedtime and if he is going to be sick it will be about 10/11pm so will see what tonight brings. I also gave him a little yoghurt earlier too. Poor boy cries in such a sad way when he see's his bottle or finishes the small amount I give him. Just hope the sickness doesn't return like before.

With him being so unhappy I am actually wanting him to keep milk down even if he does have a sensitivity to it, at least he will get the fats, proteins and nutrients needed, guess I will just have to carry on using the mild steroid cream to keep on top of his skin.
He seems to be having a bowel movement more regularly now, but he is uncomfortable doing it, and takes an hour of moaning before hand to actually go.

Anyway, will keep an eye on this forum, see how things go and go back to the drs to ask about a blood test if need be, although think maybe its a bit late as I really don't think he would drink the special dairy free formula's anyway, at least gluten is easy to avoid

Offline Hendix

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 20:40:34 pm »
Hi,
Sounds familiar but we just have poo probs.
Def push our doc for referral. We did. I just said mucus in my baby nappy which I believe is result of damage to gut lining and I want it checked by gastro consultant.
I have an appt end of this month but we cut out dairy and better.
Almond milk is delicious and has calcium. If it were not for this I'd be lost...
Good luck x

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 21:58:50 pm »
Please check out kidswithfoodallergies.com and look up their protocols for dealing with bad eczema (wet wrapping, bleach baths). Alarge number of eczema cases are not due to food allergies or intolerances. Please don't give your baby anything other than formula or breastmilk as any other milks don't have enough nutrients.  If you suspect a milk intolerance/allergy, maybe try soy formula? There are elemental formulas where all the proteins have been broken down, but they are very costly and taste terrible. How is his weight and growth curve? Does he have any rashes/hives when he has milk? In terms of food, I would definitely try good fatty foods if you're worried about weight - like avocado, fatty chicken, extra olive oil in foods. For celiac testing , you have to be on gluten for a while.  It makes no difference for dairy, or any other food you might suspect he might be allergic to. To be honest, I think he might be intolerant to something, maybe dairy, since his symptoms seem mainly digestive. I would try and appeal to your doctor again, maybe get a referral to a gi. Maybe it might be time to find a new doctor if he doesn't listen? Itching for hours at night, vomiting, and uncomfortable bowel movements are all worth investigating. I am assuming the blood test you are referring to is for allergy testing. The rate of false positives is really high with allergy testing (blood or skin). Unless you have seen a reaction, just fishing for allergies is going to get you a list of foods that you are going to unnecessarily avoid. I hope you find a solution. It's hard seeing your child suffer.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 19:59:41 pm »
my dr is not particularly suportive, I think because to her his symptoms seem 'managable' so she doesn't seem to see the point in putting him through testing etc. as she thinks he will grow out of it
If you're concerned about him loosing weight, and his sore skin etc, I'd (a) camp out in her office and cry until she refers you (I'm serious, really lay it on her, do not take no for an answer) or (b) ask to see another doctor or (c) find out if you can self-refer to an allergy clinic, or, I'd prefer a paed at this point.  If pushed, I'd go to A&E if you know a good paediatric one locally.

It must be horrible to be feeding him something you know makes him ill.  A friend of mine switched her LO to goat's milk when he was over a year and it really helped his eczema.  BUT he was over a year... you need BM or formula that works for him now.  Please do not interpret this as a suggestion to give him goat's milk now.  Though he might be better with goat's yoghurt or cheese?

I'd perhaps start a food diary so you can log what he's eating and how he's reacting and tell the person you eventually see in detail. 

PP is completely right about false positive and negatives with blood tests.  For food problems the gold-standard is an exclusion diet and reintroduction.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.